• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mutual rejection of Protestants and Catholics - who of the rejects the other side more?

in my experience it is like this ...

• Protestants reject Catholics more than the other way round

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Catholics reject Protestants more than the other way round

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • the rejection is equal on both sides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • there is no rejection at all

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Yes.
Because of some personal experiences.
But it would need a kind of short story to tell and to explain.

I'm sure that there are also Catholics who reject Catholics and Protestants who reject Protestants. As a general group, we people seem to do a lot of rejecting.

I'm reminded of a story that was presented at the telling as being true.

A reporter asked Martin Luther King if he was upset that elders of a Southern Baptist Church, segregated at the time due to laws of the area, would not allow him to go inside.

King is said to have replied saying something along the lines that they hadn't let Christ in for years, so, no, he was not all that upset.

In at least this instance, King's use of humor reflects and recalls Lincoln's.

Eh, my Mom was Catholic. My Dad was Methodist.

They were married 48 years when my Dad passed away and raised us attending both churches.

There isn’t a divide between Catholics and Protestants that I’ve ever noticed.

and 2 out of 4 now say:

Protestants reject Catholics more than the other way round​

Some of us merely reject what is false...

It was like this:

My sister and I were on a visit to a former citizen of East Germany and his wife.
The husband had been one of the opponents in the East that had been "freigekauft" by the West = released to the West for money paid by the West German government.

He cold make a choice where he would like to be re-settled in the West.
He had then noted down: "Württemberg" - as he was under the impression that this region was purely Protestant - which it isn't, btw.

In the words of his wife now:
"But instead of Württemberg we were sent to Baden! And here the people are CATHOLIC!!!!"
And she shouted the word "Catholic" aloud and raised her hands above her head to show her horror.
Now both my sister and I are Catholic.
So it was not very polite to tell the story that way.

And btw: Both the region of Baden and the region of Württemberg are about half-way Protestant and Catholic.
And in the time of the Monarchy both regions were ruled by Protestant monarchs.
I have now told the story.
Any comments?

:)

Eh, my Mom was Catholic. My Dad was Methodist.

They were married 48 years when my Dad passed away and raised us attending both churches.

There isn’t a divide between Catholics and Protestants that I’ve ever noticed.
My wife is Protestand and I am Catholic - and we have no problems at all with it.

But there may be Protestants who do not know any real Catholics personally in real life - and vive versa.
That is where some problems may be.

• Total voters 2
I am hoping for more voters
Maybe folks don't want to focus on what divides us and don't see all this as a competition.

• Total voters now: 4

According to Catholic cannon no Protestants are saved according to Protestant cannon nearly all Catholics are saved.
Where does it say so - in clear words?

Back
Top Bottom