• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Must countries be called by the same name that they use themselves?

Which country names do you use?

• Spain

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • España

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy

• Italia

• Hungary

• Magyarország

• Germany

• Deutschland

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Call a country by its name in the language you are speaking. Only say Espana, even in Spain, if you are speaking Spanish. When in the US I say USA if I'm speaking English. If I'm trying out my Murican I call it 'The Greatest Country in the World' just to match the locals.

Or call it "the country I would like to sneak into in order to start a rich and rewarding life".

Very few individuals refer to Belarus as "White Russia". Not since Czarist times.

White Russia was used by some Czars to refer to the land to the north of Ukraine.

Lots of other names. :cool:

You may have a look there:

>>> Belarus or White Russia? - Which term do you use?

:lol: What is your hang up with Belarus? This is one of the strangest issues I have ever heard. At least two threads now.

I call Germany "Hooslestrickenland"

I call Hungary "MakkaMakkaWheeWhee"

I call Italy "Italy 3.0"

I call Spain "Fancypantsland"

That is so racist!

I wasn't aware this is an issue.

It isn't an issue...

Must countries be called by the same name that they use themselves?

There are many examples to the contrary.

You must not have heard that there are different languages in the world.

This is the cause of your confusion.

Very few individuals refer to Belarus as "White Russia". Not since Czarist times.

White Russia was used by some Czars to refer to the land to the north of Ukraine.

When did the people of Finland lose their fins?

Or call it "the country I would like to sneak into in order to start a rich and rewarding life".

If you go through the Way to Nor where do you end up?

Back
Top Bottom