• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Muslim Woman Denied Foster Care Because Of No-Pork Rule

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I don't know if this has been posted at all.

(RNS) A Muslim woman in Maryland says she was denied a foster care license by a state-authorized agency because she does not allow pork in her home.

After 26-year-old Tashima Crudup was denied her license, the American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland filed a discrimination complaint with the Baltimore City Community Relations Commission on behalf of the mother of five.

In a letter to the commission, the ACLU accused the agency, Contemporary Family Services, of anti-Muslim bias that "played a role" in its denial of Crudup's application.

Raised in Maryland foster care herself, Crudup passed the initial screening and completed 50 hours of training classes before the home interview that determined her application status, the Baltimore Sun reported.

The caseworker asked questions about Crudup's religion, dietary habits and living arrangements. Crudup lives with Andre Moore, a 38-year-old truck driver who is not legally her husband. However, she told the Baltimore Sun that they are married in the eyes of their religion.

Although Crudup told the caseworker she would accommodate the child's beliefs no matter what religion, the ACLU accused the agency of deciding "that this placement could potentially infringe on the religious, cultural, and personal rights of any child placed in the home."

Muslim Woman Denied Foster Care Because Of No-Pork Rule

Yep, Islamophobia isn't in America at all :roll:

In an interview on Jon Stewart... she said she wouldn't care if the child she adopted would be allowed to be in whatever religion they wish.

IF it is true that she was denied because she doesn't allow pork I would be deeply upset.

Yet another example of sloppy journalism. The headline makes a factual statement that is not validated by evidence within the article. At this point, all we have are claims from each side, and nothing back up either story. The woman could be correct in her assertion, but that doesn't excuse making unverified statements either.

Yet another example of sloppy journalism. The headline makes a factual statement that is not validated by evidence within the article. At this point, all we have are claims from each side, and nothing back up either story. The woman could be correct in her assertion, but that doesn't excuse making unverified statements either.

I first saw the story on Jon Stewart, she showed the guy a copy of the document which said it was the case.

She wouldn't raise the children Muslim? :?
She should just give birth to a child and raise from birth then instead of fostering. Seems unfair anyway.

I highly doubt she was discriminated against as a Muslim. Ninety percent of that story is simply laying out the ACLU's case, and then CFS is given one whole sentence of rebuttal at the end. (Which, Jet, you left out anyway.) There's obviously much more to this than the story lets on.

Contemporary Family Services, which is authorized by the state to place foster children with families, said Crudup's application was denied because her inability to yield in her stance could make her intractable in other issues involving children.

Contemporary Family Services has previously screened and granted licenses to Muslims, Seventh-day Adventists and members of other religions with dietary restrictions, a company representative said.

Muslim woman's foster claim investigated - UPI.com

That's a pretty strange brand of islamophobia.

Nothing in the article mentions it, but the fact that she lives with someone she's not married to can't have helped.

I first saw the story on Jon Stewart, she showed the guy a copy of the document which said it was the case.

While I certainly enjoy watching the daily show, it is a comedy program and should never be used as factual source of information. A single quote with no context or verification from a show on comedy central is hardly solid evidence. The truth still remains elusive at the moment.

While I certainly enjoy watching the daily show, it is a comedy program and should never be used as factual source of information. A single quote with no context or verification from a show on comedy central is hardly solid evidence. The truth still remains elusive at the moment.

I'd be like, "Bitch! Go make me a BLT and get me some pie!"

sumowrestler.jpg

Back
Top Bottom