• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Muslim peace conference condems terrorism

This of course, the biggest Lie in the string.
You never engage in argument except in a semantic sense.
One oft sees this kind of cuteness/dependence on ones confidence in semantic ability to Bluff thru many topics on which that poster obviously has No knowledge.
You Didn't answer questions directly or forthrightly.
You ignore posts like my #193, the Meatiest in the string, and Instead make a stupid objection to 'au contrare'. (your #200)
Most indicative, you abuse and wear out the word 'islamophobe', Instead of engaging in debate about Islam. (10 yet?).
And in a similar matter to Gunner, do it mostly third party/Whoring to someone else.

Is pointing out Islam has an Inordinate problem with Violence and intolerance "islamophopbic'.
Djoop and Gardener have said - After I did - 'acknowledging the problem is the first step in a solution', to several 'Likes' from people who Won't acknowledge there IS a problem!... to me.
We/You must keep the fact there IS a problem, or Spelling it out, under wraps, stealthily/disingenuously trying to solve the 'nonexistant'/unspecified problem. ie, cheering the minority who demonstrate against it. "it" however, dare not be specified/elucidated.
Painfully contorted and Dishonest PC.

Are you sure Ben K. really disagrees that radical islamism is a problem, or that backwards attitudes among some immigrants from Muslim countries are?

I'll ask directly: Ben K., do you really believe these problems do not exist, or do you merely believe it's wrong to smear Islam in general in a broad-brush manner with it?

Mbig, you know now that I do acknowledge these problems. I was just not happy with you lumping all Muslims together when pointing to these problems, resulting in a discrimination of the entire fellowship of that religion.

Are you sure Ben K. really disagrees that radical islamism is a problem, or that backwards attitudes among some immigrants from Muslim countries are?

I'll ask directly: Ben K., do you really believe these problems do not exist, or do you merely believe it's wrong to smear Islam in general in a broad-brush manner with it?

Mbig, you know now that I do acknowledge these problems. I was just not happy with you lumping all Muslims together when pointing to these problems, resulting in a discrimination of the entire fellowship of that religion.
GG you're a Good Guy.
But Every post you make to me Engages in Strawman debate.
Literalism/Fundamentalism as in Christianity is a problem. Tho less so than Less compatible Islamic Fundamenatlism which sees 'us' as scriptural enemies and is in general Less compatible with Western culture.

"Radicalism" is a nebulous/relative term as used by many as you have here. Unfairly allowing for Fundamentalist/Literalist Islam but condemning same in Christianity as "Religous Right" "Nut jobs'. etc etc.
We have a string in the Philosophy section about YEC. Most, including me ridiculing this Literalist Folly.
In Islam, this degree of piety however would be Normal. "Broad Brush" Normal.
An average Muslim would be as pious as a Fundamentalist Christian... or... as a Muslim Mod on Israel Forum explained, an Orthodox Jew.

Of course Islamic Piety/Holy Book/Law is Less compatible with the West's culture than the Judeo-Christian foundation on which it was built.
And of course, the Koran's enemies, Us, are still extant.
So, that's two problems, one compounding the other. Being Far more literal ..... AND To a book that's more dangerous/intolerant.
See my #193.

There are No Christian nor Jewish Theocracies like Iran or Saudi Arabia doling out Stone Age justice.
And Most Islamic countries have at least Partial Sharia.
Majorities Or Significant Minorities favor Penalties like Amputation for Theft, Stoning for Adultery, Death for Apostates, etc.
"Radical"? "Terrorist"?
No, Mainstream/"Broad Brush" Islam.

Literal Scriptural adherence, NOT "Radicalism"/"Terrorism" per se is the MAIN problem.
Tho literalism also, Will Inevitably spawn a percentage of those willing to commit terror acts in the name of Islam as the ideology is there.

Being unable to change the Koran's unfortunate words which most Muslim feel are perfect (see Manji #193 again) (No 'NKJV' koran is coming), Irshad is going for Reinterpretation of verses.
A Muslim Reformation.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle-east/54964-wanted-muslim-reformation.html#post1058210688

Last edited:
You are displaying your islamophobic bigotry by blaming Islam for the violence committed by Muslims, although, in most cases, religion is not the cause of this violence, but other factors are more crucial.

What are these "other factors", and is it Islamic terrorists who are claiming there are other factors?

Some intellectual gentleman actually did a survey on all suicide bombings up to 9/11, he found that a constant factor was that they were a strategic response to the overwhelming power of foreign occupation by democratic nations. Can't remember the guys name though. Has a P in it I think.

Some intellectual gentleman actually did a survey on all suicide bombings up to 9/11, he found that a constant factor was that they were a strategic response to the overwhelming power of foreign occupation by democratic nations. Can't remember the guys name though. Has a P in it I think.

Robert Pape

The issue of causality aside, what we should be discussing here is the fallacy behind this notion that objecting to a politico-religious ideology constitutes a form of bigotry akin to racism.

Instead of discussing the actions of Muslims, we should be discussing the beliefs, especially within the context of the incompatibility between one belief system incorporating pluralism as one of its basic tenets and one that rejects the notion of pluralism entirely, and in increasingly frequent and violent ways.

While it's true that Islamic beliefs are, by and large, backward and xenophobic, so was Christianity during certain periods. The OT is riddled with as much craziness as the Koran but Christians have largely learned to ignore the more destructive parts and concentrated on the good. I think it's quite likely that, over time, the same thing can happen with Islam.

Muslims can adapt and change over time and in fact are doing so in great numbers. This is partly the result of their more bad and boisterous believers being dispatched, frequently via drone missiles, to eternal hellfire. Others are being imprisoned for life for 'honor killings.

If we keep responding negatively, consistently and harshly to their violence, misogyny and pleas for Sharia law, I see no reason why Islam cannot become just another acceptable religion. Though perhaps not in our lifetimes .

That's a good point, Gardener, and I agree, it's absolutely necessary to debate with and against Muslims certain particular stances and believes that cause problems. I suspect none of us "PC Eurolefties" here would object to debates and other frames with the purpose to challenge those Muslims on an individual level who, for example, don't believe in the freedom of women to chose their carreer and marriage partner, or who believe an open political system shall be replaced by theocracy.

I don't know about the English speaking world, but I know that in Germany, there are quite a few efforts by feminists with a Muslim background to sensitize fellow immigrants for women rights. Help institutions aiding abused women have started putting specific focus on women in Muslim families. Ethics and religious science classes have been started in high schools to debate moral questions in class, including Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

I believe it's not any less important to take these efforts, than it was one or two generations ago to challange the old authoritarians within the native population, as my parents' generation did against their parents.

I just don't believe that a broad-brush attack on Islam, unspecific and generalizing, anyhow contributes to these efforts in a constructive way. Such a debate about values and limits of religious freedom must be held *including* the Muslims living here, not against them.

A large part of the problem GG, is that when someone mentions the problem of Islamic terrorism we are told that 'not all Muslims are terrorists". We'll also be told that not all Muslims are wife beaters, honor killers, and so on. We know that, yet these excuses are trotted out with monotonous regularity.

And while you make some good points you still feel the need to say "I just don't believe that a broad-brush attack on Islam, unspecific and generalizing, anyhow contributes to these efforts in a constructive way".

We understand that German Guy, we really do. But if we are to tackle the problems that exist we have to identify them, point them out, and then work towards a solution. Platitudes or charges of 'racism' or 'Islamophobia' will not solve anything.

A large part of the problem GG, is that when someone mentions the problem of Islamic terrorism we are told that 'not all Muslims are terrorists". We'll also be told that not all Muslims are wife beaters, honor killers, and so on. We know that, yet these excuses are trotted out with monotonous regularity.

And while you make some good points you still feel the need to say "I just don't believe that a broad-brush attack on Islam, unspecific and generalizing, anyhow contributes to these efforts in a constructive way".

We understand that German Guy, we really do. But if we are to tackle the problems that exist we have to identify them, point them out, and then work towards a solution. Platitudes or charges of 'racism' or 'Islamophobia' will not solve anything.
But American's need to oversimplify, generalize, and distill complex issues into bumper sticker slogans should solve everything.

Grant,I think the main driver for the above, is the contention surrounding the numbers involved. Most Europeans accept theirs a problem with extremism but no where near on the epic proportions of contributors like yourself. The figures often quoted, more or less incorporate the majority of our respective Muslim populations. Thus, it can often lead to the charge of 'blanket statements'. We simply disagree with the magnitude of the problem, not that there is a problem.

Paul

So when you understand that "not all Muslims are" the problem, why do you keep using a language that indiscriminately blames all Muslims, throwing out the kid with the bathwater in the process, and burning bridges to those Muslims here who respect the law?

Is this really some cultural misunderstanding of epic proportions between us? Is Rough Rider right when he says that you believe "identifying the problem" necessarily needs to include broad-generalizations and an emotional polarization, an angry mob, because that's the only way you have in America to "identify problems"?

Is it because of a cultural difference that I, and other Europeans, feel that differentiation is the way to go when "identifying a problem", and avoiding discrimination? For example, I believe it's well possible to address the existing problems of overproportionate crime among African Americans, without resorting to racist generalizations. And I used to believe Americans take care to do that as well. On the other side, I am often disturbed when I see partisan polarization of "liberals" and "conservatives", who too paint the other side with a broad brush, engaging in nothing but hyperbole and simplification, so I shouldn't be surprised when you do the same vs. Muslims -- is that simply how you do things in America?

If that's the case, I believe this really is a misunderstanding. I consider such polarization, simplification and generalization as dangerous, because it evokes bad memories of not so nice periods in my country's history. I'm used to a much less polarized political debate culture. And most people in my environment would consider too big generalizations within the political debate as a "no go", because it too much resembles a "lynch mob", and we all know that's not a good thing.

Not that you misunderstand me, I don't want to lecture you about the American debate culture. I just want to know if this all is just one big misunderstanding. Because, you know, in my environment, recognizing that there are problems with Muslim immigrants is really a trivial thing. Everybody knows that from day one. People just keep emphasizing we should keep it civil, because that's the much harder task than the obvious identification of the problem, which everybody recognizes anyway.

Grant,I think the main driver for the above, is the contention surrounding the numbers involved. Most Europeans accept theirs a problem with extremism but no where near on the epic proportions of contributors like yourself. The figures often quoted, more or less incorporate the majority of our respective Muslim populations. Thus, it can often lead to the charge of 'blanket statements'. We simply disagree with the magnitude of the problem, not that there is a problem.

Paul

Any time the problem is discussed we hear the same platitudes. Do you think we grew up 'hating' Muslims, or that we began 'hating' them after 9/11 or because of the Iraq war? In fact I still don't know of anyone who 'hates' Muslims. If anything it seems a great many people are victims of Islam and those powerful religious leaders who control most every aspect of their lives. They do not have an option of what to believe and what to reject and live their lives in servitude, not knowing much else of the world apart what's written in the Koran.

Also, there is no need to respect another persons beliefs if these beliefs are causing harm to other human beings, and we can see that with Islam that is often, and more usually lately, clearly true.

We get far too much of the shilly shalliness from the "Oh, but not all Muslims are terrorists" crowd, or those who try and make the moral equivalence argument. These are not serious people and their opinions cannot be treated as such.

Paul

If you have a significant number of Muslims in the UK (for example) who either sympathize with terrorism, or support terrorism, then you have a problem. Is that correct or not?

How high would that percentage have to be before you admit that there might be a problem?

Any time the problem is discussed we hear the same platitudes. Do you think we grew up 'hating' Muslims, or that we began 'hating' them after 9/11 or because of the Iraq war?...

just as many Muslims hate the USA & the West due to a variety of action by the USA & the West against Muslim states.

So when you understand that "not all Muslims are" the problem, why do you keep using a language that indiscriminately blames all Muslims, throwing out the kid with the bathwater in the process, and burning bridges to those Muslims here who respect the law?

When we say that there is a problem with Islam, or a problem with Islamic terrorists, do you feel it's necessary to say that not all Muslims are terrorists or that some parts of the Islamic world are quite peaceful. Do these qualifications still have to be made after all these years? Do you sincerely believe that no one understands that by now?
Is this really some cultural misunderstanding of epic proportions between us? Is Rough Rider right when he says that you believe "identifying the problem" necessarily needs to include broad-generalizations and an emotional polarization, an angry mob, because that's the only way you have in America to "identify problems"?

If we were to say there is a problem in the "Black community" I doubt most people would feel the need to say that "not all Blacks are a problem" or that the crime of "Blackophobia" is being committed. The same goes for any community that is a part of society. We should be sophisticated enough to understand the differences by now, and in most of the world I believe that's the case..
Is it because of a cultural difference that I, and other Europeans, feel that differentiation is the way to go when "identifying a problem", and avoiding discrimination?

It might be the case where Europeans aren't all that experienced in dealing with folks with another set of values based on a different set of religious beliefs. You seem to believe that the best way to incorporate those with different beliefs into your cultural community is to just accept them with a smile, let them follow their own rules and adapt your rules to theirs, offer up the multicult platitudes and then hide in your homes when the problems inevitably begin.
For example, I believe it's well possible to address the existing problems of overproportionate crime among African Americans, without resorting to racist generalizations. And I used to believe Americans take care to do that as well.

Let's not set up straw men.
On the other side, I am often disturbed when I see partisan polarization of "liberals" and "conservatives", who too paint the other side with a broad brush, engaging in nothing but hyperbole and simplification, so I shouldn't be surprised when you do the same vs. Muslims -- is that simply how you do things in America?

I'm Canadian and have lived, worked and traveled all over the US. I know a great deal more about the United States than you do. Let's stick to the discussion at hand.
If that's the case, I believe this really is a misunderstanding. I consider such polarization, simplification and generalization as dangerous, because it evokes bad memories of not so nice periods in my country's history. I'm used to a much less polarized political debate culture. And most people in my environment would consider too big generalizations within the political debate as a "no go", because it too much resembles a "lynch mob", and we all know that's not a good thing.

Germany seems to have gone from one extreme to another. What Germans consider to be a "no go" is only more political correctness, which is one of the greatest scourges of the age. I have no interest in your no go areas, or anyone elses for that. It emasculates discussion.
Not that you misunderstand me, I don't want to lecture you about the American debate culture.

You're obviously in no position to do that anyway.

I just want to know if this all is just one big misunderstanding. Because, you know, in my environment, recognizing that there are problems with Muslim immigrants is really a trivial thing. Everybody knows that from day one. People just keep emphasizing we should keep it civil, because that's the much harder task than the obvious identification of the problem, which everybody recognizes anyway.

It's is not a 'trivial' thing but neither is it as high on the agenda right now as the economy, or governmental corruption and debt. That's probably because a good job is being done in ridding the world of the more outspoken Islamic leaders and terrorist supporters, though we also have to do that domestically as well when they riot or suggest a form of Sharia law be introduced.

It is still a 'thing' though, a seriously worrisome thing in many areas of the world, and certainly worthy of discussion.

I'm assuming that's a joke, right?

Well, it would probably be an over-simplification and broad-brush accusation against Americans, because I know quite a few Americans who don't do that. ;)

But maybe it has a true core, when I witness political debate in the US, where the pain threshhold of civility and differentiation is apparently much lower than I am used at home. I mentioned the mock emails of "liberals" and "conservatives" attacking strawmen caricatures of their respective "enemies", which are nothing but destilled simplification and generalization, usually based on a general lack of understanding and respect for the other side. Gardener said "conservatism in America is a manichean tribalism". Not sure how representative these observations are, but it's much harder to find such a thing over here, at least between the established parties. The only people engaging in such a mud slinging contest are usually crazy fringenuts nobody takes seriously.

So yeah, I believe there definitely is a difference in debate culture on both sides of the pond. Not saying either is necessarily worse than the other, polarization probably has its advantages too. But I often find the lack of civility and respect in American debate disturbing.

But hey, when that's the way you do it, I shouldn't wonder when you do the same vs. Muslims. What's good for your favorite hated domestic "socialist librul"/"FOX News neocon", certainly isn't bad for the "islamofascists".

just as many Muslims hate the USA & the West due to a variety of action by the USA & the West against Muslim states.

Let them hate the west all they want, who really cares? But if they commit terrorist acts or other crimes against innocent people then they will be made to pay for it.

This may have been raised elsewhere in the thread, but I'm not going back and reading 25 pages. It is this:

Why is it that the only place Muslims feel secure in holding a peace conference and condemning terrorism is in a non-Muslim, western democracy? When this conference is held in Cairo or Damascus
or Beiruit or any other Arab capitol, let me know. I'll join in the celebration.

Well, it would probably be an over-simplification and broad-brush accusation against Americans, because I know quite a few Americans who don't do that. ;)

But maybe it has a true core, when I witness political debate in the US, where the pain threshhold of civility and differentiation is apparently much lower than I am used at home. I mentioned the mock emails of "liberals" and "conservatives" attacking strawmen caricatures of their respective "enemies", which are nothing but destilled simplification and generalization, usually based on a general lack of understanding and respect for the other side. Gardener said "conservatism in America is a manichean tribalism". Not sure how representative these observations are, but it's much harder to find such a thing over here, at least between the established parties. The only people engaging in such a mud slinging contest are usually crazy fringenuts nobody takes seriously.

So yeah, I believe there definitely is a difference in debate culture on both sides of the pond. Not saying either is necessarily worse than the other, polarization probably has its advantages too. But I often find the lack of civility and respect in American debate disturbing.

But hey, when that's the way you do it, I shouldn't wonder when you do the same vs. Muslims. What's good for your favorite hated domestic "socialist librul"/"FOX News neocon", certainly isn't bad for the "islamofascists".

You are watching American culture through the German perspective. I have heard Europeans make these same arguments so frequently and all you do is embarrass yourselves. You remain ignorant on American culture, apart from the highlights you get in your media, and yet you still set yourself as being qualified to offer up your goofy opinions.

No American I know would b so presumptuous to comment on the German culture, or Finnish or Czech culture, without at least having some intimate knowledge of the subject. The same, frustrating enough, does not hold true for far too many Europeans. You really do embarrass yourselves. This American thing seems an obsession with far too many Europeans.

And what's this with Fox news? Do you watch it at all? Have you ever seen it? Where's your problem with Fox news?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom