• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Muslim McNuggets!! What?!

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
McDonald’s announced this week it would no longer serve halal food two of its restaurants in Dearborn, Mich., a Detroit suburb where 41 percent of residents are of Arab ancestry.
The restaurants were the only two McDonald’s in the country that had served halal food, which requires animals be slaughtered according to Islamic practices.
The decision follows a $700,000 settlement between McDonald’s and a customer, Ahmed Ahmed, who sued the franchise in 2011, alleging that the halal McChicken and halal Chicken McNuggets were not always prepared properly.
McDonald’s elaborated in a statement about its decision: "We take into account local and dietary preferences, however these items were offered as an exception to McDonald's national core food menu in these two restaurants only.”

McDonald’s said it was discontinuing the products to “focus on our national core menu."
(Read More: Secret's Out! Hidden Menu Items)
In the settlement, one franchisee said it "has a carefully designed system for preparing and serving halal such that halal chicken products are labeled, stored, refrigerated and cooked in halal-only areas." The company also said it had educated employees about halal food preparation and "requires strict adherence to the process."
Earlier this year, a McDonald's attorney said that if a problem had arisen, "it was isolated and rare."
Victor Ghalib Begg, a senior advisor at the Michigan Muslim Community Council, said McDonald's decision is sad for observant Muslim families with children who like to visit the fast-food chain, but it's not likely to make a difference in Dearborn, where many alternatives exist.
"There's no shortage of halal restaurants, particularly here in Michigan," he said. When diners can't find halal meat, many substitute fish or kosher food, which differs slightly.
(Read More: Cutting-Edge Restaurant Menu Items)
"When my wife and I travel and we can't find a halal restaurant, we look for a seafood restaurant or a vegetarian one so we have no trouble at all finding any restaurant to eat," Begg said.
The McDonald's decision reduces the number of large restaurant chains with halal-friendly locations. The halal-food finder app Zabihah organizes halal restaurants by location but includes few large chains. Among them: Crown Fried Chicken & Deli, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Subway and Outback Steakhouse.
The Associated Press contributed reporting.
© 2013 CNBC LLC. All Rights Reserved

So... no commentary?

Good. If they can't ensure the food is halal, then they shouldn't offer it as such.

What do you expect anyone to say?

Well how about "If it is not bad enough that McDonalds choose to invest training of their staff for proper meat handle so as to reach out, at it's monetary expense, this Ahmed X 2 guy practices thorough examination as if he actually lives in Arabia to see whether halal food is as strictly practiced or not, and builds on his finding to sue McDonalds and wins afterwards!"

There, no Macs for the remaining 41% now, but Ahmed X 2 gets to keep his 700K! Is everyone happy?! No! Why? Cause some think USA is freaking Arabia!

McDonald’s announced this week it would no longer serve halal food two of its restaurants in Dearborn, Mich., a Detroit suburb where 41 percent of residents are of Arab ancestry.
The restaurants were the only two McDonald’s in the country that had served halal food, which requires animals be slaughtered according to Islamic practices.
The decision follows a $700,000 settlement between McDonald’s and a customer, Ahmed Ahmed, who sued the franchise in 2011, alleging that the halal McChicken and halal Chicken McNuggets were not always prepared properly.
McDonald’s elaborated in a statement about its decision: "We take into account local and dietary preferences, however these items were offered as an exception to McDonald's national core food menu in these two restaurants only.”

McDonald’s said it was discontinuing the products to “focus on our national core menu."
In the settlement, one franchisee said it "has a carefully designed system for preparing and serving halal such that halal chicken products are labeled, stored, refrigerated and cooked in halal-only areas." The company also said it had educated employees about halal food preparation and "requires strict adherence to the process."
Earlier this year, a McDonald's attorney said that if a problem had arisen, "it was isolated and rare."
Victor Ghalib Begg, a senior advisor at the Michigan Muslim Community Council, said McDonald's decision is sad for observant Muslim families with children who like to visit the fast-food chain, but it's not likely to make a difference in Dearborn, where many alternatives exist.
"There's no shortage of halal restaurants, particularly here in Michigan," he said. When diners can't find halal meat, many substitute fish or kosher food, which differs slightly.
"When my wife and I travel and we can't find a halal restaurant, we look for a seafood restaurant or a vegetarian one so we have no trouble at all finding any restaurant to eat," Begg said.
The McDonald's decision reduces the number of large restaurant chains with halal-friendly locations. The halal-food finder app Zabihah organizes halal restaurants by location but includes few large chains. Among them: Crown Fried Chicken & Deli, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Subway and Outback Steakhouse.

Good for McDonalds

They should put a small amount of pork in all their food. If they did that, I might buy some of their hamburgers.

Well how about "If it is not bad enough that McDonalds choose to invest training of their staff for proper meat handle so as to reach out, at it's monetary expense, this Ahmed X 2 guy practices thorough examination as if he actually lives in Arabia to see whether halal food is as strictly practiced or not, and builds on his finding to sue McDonalds and wins afterwards!"
Or, we could abstain from unacceptable anti-Muslim rhetoric, and consider the situation rationally. I mean, really, your comments are practically a caricature of blind hatred for Muslims.

It's up to McDonald's, and presumably the franchise owner, if they want to offer halal (or kosher, or any other religious dietary rules). Adding or canceling such a program is at their discretion.

However, if they offer halal food, and don't do it right, the customers have a right to sue. From that point forward, it's basically up to the courts to figure out how to handle it. In this case, McDonald's chose to settle, and stop offering halal food at those two locations.

There, no Macs for the remaining 41% now, but Ahmed X 2 gets to keep his 700K! Is everyone happy?! No! Why? Cause some think USA is freaking Arabia!
Ahmed gets a portion, as do his lawyers, a Detroit health clinic and the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn.

I don't see what the community is losing, really. If McDonald's were not preparing the food properly, the devout Muslims weren't going to eat there anyway. The Muslims who don't care about halal will continue to patronize the restaurants.

Or perhaps you're outraged that Muslims can't eat McDonald's? You a shareholder, perchance? :mrgreen:

Or, we could abstain from unacceptable anti-Muslim rhetoric, and consider the situation rationally. I mean, really, your comments are practically a caricature of blind hatred for Muslims.

It's up to McDonald's, and presumably the franchise owner, if they want to offer halal (or kosher, or any other religious dietary rules). Adding or canceling such a program is at their discretion.

However, if they offer halal food, and don't do it right, the customers have a right to sue. From that point forward, it's basically up to the courts to figure out how to handle it. In this case, McDonald's chose to settle, and stop offering halal food at those two locations.

Ahmed gets a portion, as do his lawyers, a Detroit health clinic and the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn.

I don't see what the community is losing, really. If McDonald's were not preparing the food properly, the devout Muslims weren't going to eat there anyway. The Muslims who don't care about halal will continue to patronize the restaurants.

Or perhaps you're outraged that Muslims can't eat McDonald's? You a shareholder, perchance? :mrgreen:
The food just sucks. It doesn't matter if it's halal, kosher, southern, midwestern, southwestern or whatever. If you're eating at McDonalds and you're worried if the food is halal, it doesn't matter. What you should be worried about is whether or not the food is actually fit for human consumption. Halal, my ass. I think the Muslim eating at McDonalds has bigger things to worry about than whether that piece of **** he or she is about to eat is halal or not.

Good. If they can't ensure the food is halal, then they shouldn't offer it as such.

It's McDonald's. You should feel lucky if your food never hit the floor.

Errrrrrrum......... :shrug: :coffeepap :inandout:

(I just don't see any reason to care much about this. Halal, kosher, or chili-cheese, everybody gots their preferences.)

1. "Arabs" doesn't mean "Muslim". There are plenty of Christian Arabs in the world, and in Michigan in particular. Justin Amash is an Eastern Orthodox - and so was Spenser Abraham.

Not to mention all the Arabs who don't care one way or another.

2. A company had announced that it discontinues a product. So? What is the problem? Would we be worried if a fast food chain X drops a mango-cucumber-salad-with-tofu? Vegans are people too, aren't they?

Who would want McDonald's instead of Falafel King?

What do you expect anyone to say?

I was expecting the OP to at least provide some semblance of an opinion instead of just pasting something other people wrote.

It's McDonald's. You should feel lucky if your food never hit the floor.

Or actually resembles something you and I would call "food."

I'm surprised they actually had halal food in the US to begin with. I can't say it's easy to picture any American Muslim eating at one of those crap shacks.

I wouldn't be upset if i was one of the Muslim families affected, McDonalds are actually doing you a favour. Forget how the nuggets are prepared, that's the least of your worries and think about what those disgusting things are made of. You really don't want your kids eating that crap.

McDonalds also need to ditch the four names they have given to their nuggets and re name them. Death, funeral, graveyard and RIP would be more appropriate.

You know how to post a quote? The icon next to the video icon is what you use. Anyway, do you have an opinion on the matter?

If McDonald's advertised food prepared a certain way, then that's the way it should be. No one forced them into it apparently, but if someone with religious or any dietary issue patronizes a food business based on advertisement, they should get what is advertised.

We've had "Muslim" McNuggets for ages now, you do realize there are more than a 1200 McDonald restaurants in the middle east?, they sell a McArabia sandwich too oh and they all deliver.

mcarabia_chick2.jpg

I know mind = blown

Back
Top Bottom