• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Musk polls users on whether Donald Trump should be allowed to return to Twitter, millions swiftly respond

Trump’s position may evolve. ;)
Yes, he might. He may be evolving from the position on the far left.

R.29c5cb7a6130c95fe44cfe3f9ba39c1b

So, he acted like a businessman and not a raving lunatic.

Wonder why on earth he decided to come so completely unhinged with Twitter then.
As I understand it, he got into internet fights a lot there. It would be like if a conservative with a persecution complex (is there any other kind?) was suspended on DP, and then bought the site and destroyed it for revenge.

Conducting a Twitter user opinion poll, rather than creating (and paying?) a ‘council’ (of experts?) to render their opinion, seems like a reasonable idea to me. Of course, the ultimate decision is still up to Elon Musk.
It's the direct democracy vs. representative democracy debate manifested in a private company; it should be an interesting experiment. I can't help but wonder if this is the way policy will be implemented and what the ratio of those decided by polls are compared to those decided by a "council of experts".

I can see how a gazillion Republicans would want the person who incited an attempted insurrection to overthrow the United States government back on twitter.

Hell, I expect them to try another insurrection.

Gotta love Elon. the twitter buy is 1 nail in the coffin of cancel culture -it's a start
he new Twitter boss took to the platform Friday evening and asked his supporters if the former U.S. president should be allowed back to return to Twitter after he was banned.
Musk posted the poll shortly before 7 p.m. and, within hours, it had received millions of replies.

most of the 8.4 million polled (as of early Saturday morning) agreed that Trump, who once had a dominant presence on the platform, should be allowed to return.
Not really. You should read up on his recent policy of burying negative/hateful tweets. He's adopted a "freedom of speech, not reach", which simply means people will get cancelled, but instead of being banned the content which crossed the line gets buried. If you're someone who posts negative/hateful tweets, your content is being cancelled and relegated to obscurity. It's just a different form of being cancelled, where instead of being shown the door, you're out in a closet.

I voted no. I'll let you all know if Musk suspends my account.

It's the direct democracy vs. representative democracy debate manifested in a private company; it should be an interesting experiment. I can't help but wonder if this is the way policy will be implemented and what the ratio of those decided by polls are compared to those decided by a "council of experts".

It could be as simple (basic?) as asking one’s customer base whether sales or production of (previously discontinued) product X should be resumed.

LMAO... Why would Trump abandon the HUGELY successful Truth Social?
He's better off on Truth Social in terms of having more freedom. Musk's new content moderation stance means much of Trump's negative tweets get relegated to the Twitter basement.

I'm not sure Trump getting back on Twitter is in the best interests of Republicans.

Which Republicans? It could be very beneficial for people who are running against Trump and those who don't want Trump to be the nominee.

It could be as simple (basic?) as asking one’s customer base whether sales or production of (previously discontinued) product X should be resumed.
It could, but sometimes what people want isn't in the best interest of the company. Maybe people should be asked how much the price of a new product or service should be.

He's better off on Truth Social in terms of having more freedom. Musk's new content moderation stance means much of Trump's negative tweets get relegated to the Twitter basement.

That’s like assuming that adding Home Depot as an outlet for Craftsman tool sales requires discontinuing their sales at Lowe’s.

That’s like assuming that adding Home Depot as an outlet for Craftsman tool sales requires discontinuing their sales at Lowe’s.
No, it's the acceptance of reality. Customers don't know nor care how the company is run.

It could, but sometimes what people want isn't in the best interest of the company. Maybe people should be asked how much the price of a new product or service should be.

I agree it’s the only one factor, but ignoring what customers say they want is not a great idea either.

It isn't because they're not the same thing. The main draw to social media sites is the reach and engagements a user receives, and moving from one to the other will likely dilute the user base in the one that receives less engagements. What Trump and any controversial figure gets out of social media sites are reactions to their content, and that is fueled by the reactions of their proponents and detractors. If Trump goes back to Twitter, those keen on engaging with his opponents will likely follow.

I agree it’s the only one factor, but ignoring what customers say they want is not a great idea either.
This is always being determined. By sales, not an internet poll.

The biggest thing you're missing is that Twitter users aren't customers. They're the product.

Nope, but there are better ways of getting that information than public polls. From a policy perspective it's disjointed as well, since the same wasn't done for other people who were banned.

I ended my Twitter account when Space Karen bought it. People that think Musk is altruistic have no clue what goes on behind his eyes, which is why I was not surprised at his stupid poll.

It isn't because they're not the same thing. The main draw to social media sites is the reach and engagements a user receives, and moving from one to the other will likely dilute the user base in the one that receives less engagements. What Trump and any controversial figure gets out of social media sites are reactions to their content, and that is fueled by the reactions of their proponents and detractors. If Trump goes back to Twitter, those keen on engaging with his opponents will likely follow.

Why do you keep insisting (asserting?) that any given user must be (exclusively) on one or the other?

This is always being determined. By sales, not an internet poll.

The biggest thing you're missing is that Twitter users aren't customers. They're the product.

You can’t sell what you don‘t offer for sale.

Back
Top Bottom