• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Musk blocks Public Citizen on Twitter

Subieguy

Todays GOP: wrong on EVERYTHING!!!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Does Musk officially own Twitter now? They had an agreement to buy it, yes, but has all that actually happened? Money exchanged hands, contracts signed?

Anyone on Twitter can block another user, it's akin to using the Ignore function here. Musk is welcome to block / ignore whomever he wishes; he is not a civil servant accountable to citizens and voters but a private individual. And, let's face it, if someone with 80+ million followers blocks someone, all that really does is drive attention and traffic to whomever was blocked. I'd have never known about the group 'Public Citizen' if Musk hadn't drawn attention to them.

Anyone on Twitter can block another user, it's akin to using the Ignore function here. Musk is welcome to block / ignore whomever he wishes; he is not a civil servant accountable to citizens and voters but a private individual. And, let's face it, if someone with 80+ million followers blocks someone, all that really does is drive attention and traffic to whomever was blocked. I'd have never known about the group 'Public Citizen' if Musk hadn't drawn attention to them.

But it shows Musk's mindset.

He fires employees whose Tweets he doesn't like, and he cancelled the sale of a car to a journalist who gave him a less than flattering write-up.

He's petty and back-biting at times, and seemingly not the 'free-speech' advocate he describes himself as. In fact, he's looking like just another self-serving rich-guy, out to manipulate the public.

He fires employees whose Tweets he doesn't like, and he cancelled the sale of a car to a journalist who gave him a less than flattering write-up.

He's petty and back-biting at times, and seemingly not the 'free-speech' advocate he describes himself as. In fact, he's looking like just another self-serving rich-guy, out to manipulate the public.
Oh, he's not in this for free speech, he's in it for his ego.

Does Musk officially own Twitter now? They had an agreement to buy it, yes, but has all that actually happened? Money exchanged hands, contracts signed?
he blocked him from his personal twitter account, he didn't eliminate the twitter account the person holds.

Public citizen was not denied his free speech nor was he suspended or banned. He's still tweeting. He still has his speech rights intact.
Musk, as a tweeter, simply exercised his right to ignore him. People do that all the time...Ignore.

He owns the platform. He can hire and fire at will now. Not sure about the car cancellation thing...

Reactions: PoS
Public citizen was not denied his free speech nor was he suspended or banned. He's still tweeting.

He owns the country. He can hire and fire at will now.
he doesn't own twitter yet. The sale has not been approved by either the shareholders or the SEC yet.

Of course. Musk is a dude who bounces from thing to thing to thing. First, getting rid of fossil fuels, then sending people to Mars starting with his car, then underground high speed transit, then neural uplinks to human brains, then robots, and now it's Twitter. We can safety say that in four months' time he'll have moved on to something else. This is just another phase.

This is also a guy who makes promises every other week, but only makes good on maybe 10% of them. So of course he's going to tweet about free speech then probably forget about it later. I'm personally waiting for people to start posting falsehoods about Tesla Full Self Driving, to see exactly how far his free speech beliefs extend.

My bet for the next Musk hobby? Hydroponics.

as I was told many times in many twitter censorship threads, you are confusing freedom of speech with being free of consequences.

I just hope the new Elon Twitter will continue to allow these kinds of tweets…

Public citizen was not denied his free speech nor was he suspended or banned. He's still tweeting. He still has his speech rights intact.
Musk, as a tweeter, simply exercised his right to ignore him. People do that all the time...Ignore.

He owns the platform. He can hire and fire at will now. Not sure about the car cancellation thing...

Regardless, it shows Musk's mindset. He has no problem censoring when it's to his advantage or insult.

as I was told many times in many twitter censorship threads, you are confusing freedom of speech with being free of consequences.

Bingo.
IF public citizen had been banned, suspended, I'd agree with the Musk critics.

Of course. Musk is a dude who bounces from thing to thing to thing. First, getting rid of fossil fuels, then sending people to Mars starting with his car, then underground high speed transit, then neural uplinks to human brains, then robots, and now it's Twitter. We can safety say that in four months' time he'll have moved on to something else. This is just another phase.

This is also a guy who makes promises every other week, but only makes good on maybe 10% of them. So of course he's going to tweet about free speech then probably forget about it later. I'm personally waiting for people to start posting falsehoods about Tesla Full Self Driving, to see exactly how far his free speech beliefs extend.

He's very Trumpian in a lot of ways!

Hah! I wouldn't doubt it!
My bet for the next Musk hobby? Hydroponics.

Regardless, it shows Musk's mindset. He has no problem censoring when it's to his advantage or insult.

Why shouldn't he have that right to ignore what offends him? I don't believe in a platform censoring, suspending, banning certain viewpoints, but I sure as hell believe in the right of everyone to ignore the speech of others.

My statement is not speaking to legalities, but rather to the man himself. His mindset is on public display here, and he doesn't appear to be who he says he is.

it's important that we don't block these current Twitterers...

Why shouldn't he have that right to ignore what offends him? I don't believe in a platform censoring, suspending, banning certain viewpoints, but I sure as hell believe in the right of everyone to ignore the speech of others.

He does have that right.

And his exorcising it to block the speech he doesn't like, very much shows us who he is.

He's very Trumpian in a lot of ways!

Hah! I wouldn't doubt it!

No, he isn't very Trumpian. He's a diehard liberal who happens not to believe in censoring the opinions of those the former Twitter board wouldn't tolerate.

In fact, he's pretty middle of the road and is on record tweeting that the far extremes on both sides probably won't be happy with his planned direction for Twitter.

He does have that right.

And his exorcising it to block the speech he doesn't like, very much shows us who he is.

He's a liberal, a dying breed. That's who he is.

he can indeed ignore what offends him....he doesn't own twitter yet and the deal isn't yet settled. They both have months to finalize...October 24 is a long ways away. Also, either of them can still walk away from the deal. He may be regulated though to not eliminate accounts if the person is following the TOS...and he has to inform of changes to the TOS...he is very thin skinned, just like Trump. He also likes to manipulate stock to his benefit.

Back
Top Bottom