• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Music Perception Test

Hoot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Here's a test I thought might be of interest to the musicians and music lovers in these forums. It tests your ability to percieve differences in similiar stanzas of music. I'll be honest and tell you I got a 27 on the first round of the test, but don't feel you have to post your results...just thought this might be fun?

Sometimes I wonder if these tests are actually testing musical perception or something unrelated?

http://www.delosis.com/listening/home.html

28/30

Guess music theory paid off...now if I could only play worth a damn...

RightatNYU said:
28/30

Guess music theory paid off...now if I could only play worth a damn...

I have to admit, I took this test about 6 months ago, saving it as a favorite place, and I got a 27. I took it again today and got a 28, but that's cheating in a way, I suppose?

Some of the differences were obvious, but I think they could've done alot more with timing...you know..put an extra beat between similiar notes, but otherwise leave them the same?

Plus, the higher frequencies were alot easier to detect then the differences in the lower frequencies...at least to me?

Still, I wonder if these tests are secretly designed to test something else subconsciously? Or maybe I'm just suspicious? LOL

Anyway...great score RightatNYU...I think it helps if you keep your eyes closed when you listen to the differences?

I signed up for the second test...they're supposed to send an e-mail invitation, but I don't expect to hear back on a Sunday?

Still...it would be interesting to know if non-musicians score as well as those who have had musical training? I had ballet and tap dance as a kid, then 3 years piano, then over 40 years of guitar...and now a year and a half of ukulele! Haha! Can't hurt anyway.

Hoot said:
I have to admit, I took this test about 6 months ago, saving it as a favorite place, and I got a 27. I took it again today and got a 28, but that's cheating in a way, I suppose?

Some of the differences were obvious, but I think they could've done alot more with timing...you know..put an extra beat between similiar notes, but otherwise leave them the same?

Plus, the higher frequencies were alot easier to detect then the differences in the lower frequencies...at least to me?

Still, I wonder if these tests are secretly designed to test something else subconsciously? Or maybe I'm just suspicious? LOL

Anyway...great score RightatNYU...I think it helps if you keep your eyes closed when you listen to the differences?

I signed up for the second test...they're supposed to send an e-mail invitation, but I don't expect to hear back on a Sunday?

Still...it would be interesting to know if non-musicians score as well as those who have had musical training? I had ballet and tap dance as a kid, then 3 years piano, then over 40 years of guitar...and now a year and a half of ukulele! Haha! Can't hurt anyway.

It did seem at points like they were trying to test something else... By the end, I was thinking that it was perhaps a sort of joke test, and that every single tune was somehow different, but I guess not.

Signed up for the second test too, I think it'd be interesting.

I've had an odd sort of quasi-musical training...I didn't start anything until violin at 7, only played that through high school, never anything special. Sang for about 8 years, a year or so of music theory, and 4 or 5 years of guitar.

I was never much good at any of it, except for singing which I was okay at, and music theory, where I was good with inversions and the like. I always thought that was some of the most interesting stuff, just coming up with alternative chords to play.

26/30 - which is embarassing after a lot of years in band, orchestra, choir, and director :)

I got a 30 first time around!

Next time I got a 26 :doh

star2589 said:
24. im so ashamed.

You think that's bad. I got a 26 and I play rhythm guitar in a rockabilly/glam rock band. :(

Hoot said:

im guessing that their testing whether people pick up on rhythm or tone differences better.

star2589 said:
I'm a music major.

We should be ashamed of ourselves. 90% of the time I keep playing music in my head. I was never any good at paying attention in school because all I did was listen to my mental I-pod.

Sir_Alec said:
We should be ashamed of ourselves. 90% of the time I keep playing music in my head. I was never any good at paying attention in school because all I did was listen to my mental I-pod.

what I hate is when I have only a few measures of a song stuck in my head... they play over and over again like a broken record.

star2589 said:
im guessing that their testing whether people pick up on rhythm or tone differences better.

I might be wrong, but i didnt notice any of them that had rhythm differences. It seemed like they had a set rhythm pattern, but would either leave them the same or change a couple tones.

I got an email a little while after i did it inviting me to do the second stage of the test. It asked me a bunch of questions, then had me take the test again. I got the same score the second time around, and then it asked me to send the test to all my family members because they're trying to figure out what effect family has on ability on the test.

I got 30/30. I agree with what people have said.I thought the dfferences were very obvious - like someone playing a bum note. I tried singing along with the 'repeat' piece, but often found that wuite hard - I sung something different, but I was still able to detect the 'wrong' pieces because they were so glaring.

If I recall right, none of the differences were rhythm.

Back
Top Bottom