• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Music Midtown festival canceled due to concerns over public gun laws

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"A popular Atlanta music festival that brings in tens of thousands of people to the area over a two-day period in September was canceled Monday due to concerns over Georgia's gun law in public parks.

The decision was linked to a recent appeals court ruling related to the Atlanta Botanical Garden's ability to restrict guns from its property, as well as broader concerns about people bringing firearms to the concert, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported."

Link

Looks like the freedom to assemble and hear ideas expressed through music, protected by the First Amendment is being curtailed by an extremist reading of the Second Amendment.

One notes that there are many rules and regulations set in place that govern the exercise of this first amendment right, which has not created a public health crisis, but seem to be none governing this second amendment right, which has.

Good decision to cancel the festival.

One does not have to be a Nostradamus to predict that if the festival had been held, at a minimum one person would have been shot. That's just how it is in 2022 America!

We are living at a time when the crazies are running amok, and the authorities do not dare stop them. (Even the mayor of New York City has just spoken out against these perps who are let loose among the general population.)

"A popular Atlanta music festival that brings in tens of thousands of people to the area over a two-day period in September was canceled Monday due to concerns over Georgia's gun law in public parks.

The decision was linked to a recent appeals court ruling related to the Atlanta Botanical Garden's ability to restrict guns from its property, as well as broader concerns about people bringing firearms to the concert, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported."

Link

Looks like the freedom to assemble and hear ideas expressed through music, protected by the First Amendment is being curtailed by an extremist reading of the Second Amendment.

One notes that there are many rules and regulations set in place that govern the exercise of this first amendment right, which has not created a public health crisis, but seem to be none governing this second amendment right, which has.
I expect we'll see more of this.

Link

The government didn’t force the Garden to cancel its festival, that was their choice. No rights were violated.

Link

There are no "extremist reading of the Second Amendment". Music Midtown has been held every year since 2014 (except 2020 for reasons that should be obvious).

If there were any real concerns then why not address them back in 2014? Why continue to allow Music Midtown to on without problem for another eight years?

No, this is simply a bunch of Leftist radicals forcing their agenda.

There is simply nothing more to see here.

Link

The 2A is not a right to shoot (or shoot at) anyone. The idea that someone intent on murder would choose to obey a “gun free zone” law is ridiculous. It is moronic to say that freedom to assemble (on public property) has been removed by not allowing a (private party’s?) gun ban on public property.

Link

Probably has more to do with this than an “extremist reading of the Second Amendment”.

“It (crime rate) jumped 60 percent from 2019 to 2020 -- then just slightly in 2021. Now, this year, the city is outpacing last year's numbers.”

Link

It’s really wierd because Washington doesn’t restrict guns in parks and yet there’s no problem with music festivals there.

What they really mean is that they probably had a crappy festival and ticket revenue wasn’t going to be high and so they had to cancel and they get to cite this BS as the reason

It’s really wierd because Washington doesn’t restrict guns in parks and yet there’s no problem with music festivals there.

What they really mean is that they probably had a crappy festival and ticket revenue wasn’t going to be high and so they had to cancel and they get to cite this BS as the reason

The reason was stated in the OP link - their contract with the performers specified supplying a “gun free” venue.

Link

Thanks gun owners, many more events will be cancelled in the future.

Thanks gun owners, many more events will be cancelled in the future.

Trying to blame (all?) gun owners for a “gun crime” is like trying to blame (all?) car owners for a DUI or (all?) knife owners for a stabbing.

No, this is simply a bunch of Leftist radicals forcing their agenda.

Stop using that never ending drumbeat as a crutch because if you're so convinced that this is the work of leftist radicals, you should be able to name some names.
Otherwise, absent that, all I see is knee-jerk reactionary hysteria on your part.

hair on fire commie.jpg

Trying to blame (all?) gun owners for a “gun crime” is like trying to blame (all?) car owners for a DUI or (all?) knife owners for a stabbing.
Examples of festivals that have been cancelled after DUI's or stabbings?

The Talkeetna Moose Dropping Festival in Alaska just celebrated its 37th anniversary this year, where they play bluegrass music all day, have parades, and generally party, and I can assure you that most who attend are armed for bear. I was. That doesn't seem to phase Alaskans. But I'm not surprised by the irrational reactions of city critter hoplophobes. That is one of the reasons why I live in rural Alaska.

Who the hell needs a gun in a botanical garden?

Most of my life I lived an easy train ride from Madison Square Garden. We had to drive to the arena in the Meadowlands. My friends and were concert junkies, we saw everybody. We saw 3 dozen concerts easy. Jones Beach, Giants Stadium, Nassau Coliseum, free concerts in Central Park. Never saw a gun other than on a cop. Never saw a fight.

Link

This is a virtue signal it has nothing to do with gun laws except for that they don't like people's freedom. Pretending to be afraid of only legally owed guns while not giving a crap about illegal guns ever before.

If I was in Georgia is tell these clowns to cram their crappy little festival straight up where the sun don't shine.

I'm glad it's hostile to this scum.

Who the hell needs a gun in a botanical garden?
Have you ever heard of mass shootings.

Did you know that if you shut a bass shooter in the process of committing that sort of crime they would probably stop. You can't do that without a gun.
Most of my life I lived an easy train ride from Madison Square Garden. We had to drive to the arena in the Meadowlands. My friends and were concert junkies, we saw everybody. We saw 3 dozen concerts easy. Jones Beach, Giants Stadium, Nassau Coliseum, free concerts in Central Park. Never saw a gun other than on a cop. Never saw a fight.
wait a minute you asked why do people need guns and you saw a cop there with a gun and it didn't freak you out or ask why they need a gun?

Examples of festivals that have been cancelled after DUI's or stabbings?
There was no concert canceled over guns it was over at gun laws.

The concert was canceled over people getting their freedom back.

Georgia needs to say to this concert promoter go straight to hell. Never ever come back.

If Georgia wants to lose out on tourist dollars due to their 2A stance, then that is a choice that they will make.

Have you ever heard of mass shootings.
Can't be a mass shooting if they don't allow guns in the event.
Did you know that if you shut a bass shooter in the process of committing that sort of crime they would probably stop. You can't do that without a gun.
wait a minute you asked why do people need guns and you saw a cop there with a gun and it didn't freak you out or ask why they need a gun?
Because they're cops, duh.

Can't be a mass shooting if they don't allow guns in the event.
I don't think guns were allowed at Sandy Hook elementary School or the pulse nightclub or the Aurora theater.

It's almost like someone who is going to commit mass murder doesn't follow rules.
Because they're cops, duh.
so cops are your superiors and they should have more rights than you?

I don't think guns were allowed at Sandy Hook elementary School or the pulse nightclub or the Aurora theater.
They didn't screen for guns in those places. You can easily screen for guns at a concert.
It's almost like someone who is going to commit mass murder doesn't follow rules.
Gun laws are stupid because criminals don't follow laws. Let's pass laws against abortion instead. They'll work great!
so cops are your superiors and they should have more rights than you?
I do not mind people who are taught gun safety and are trained in the use of guns having guns. I'm against giving them to everybody over 18 because gun nuts read only half the 2nd Amendment and forget that when that amemendment was written guns were muzzle loaders that could get off maybe 2 rounds a minute.

I find it completely ironic that a "music festival" cancels over people having second amendment rights yet are typically havens for the sale and consumption of illegal drugs and sexual abuse. "Yeah, we are going to cancel because we are needing to throw a hissy fit over gun rights... But yeah we are fine with everyone getting high and rampant rape." I wonder what the statistics are regarding people overdosing and dying/hospitalized contrasted to how many have died or been hospitalized due to gun violence.

They didn't screen for guns in those places. You can easily screen for guns at a concert.
So the Las Vegas shooting was fake? It's like people will find a way. It's almost like mass murders don't care about breaking the law.

Gun laws are stupid because criminals don't follow laws. Let's pass laws against abortion instead. They'll work great!
I would say all gun laws are unconstitutional it's already illegal to commit murder so there is no need to make any laws regarding guns.

I don't know why you want to support mass murder of children but that's your business.
I do not mind people who are taught gun safety and are trained in the use of guns having guns.
just about everyone that carries firearms has more training than police. Police get a basic firearm training like what you had to have for a CHL in their academy and that's it.

I think you're pretending there's something special about police. Because they have a very well understood function in society and you can't wrap your brain around gun ownership.
I'm against giving them to everybody over 18 because gun nuts read only half the 2nd Amendment and forget that when that amemendment was written guns were muzzle loaders that could get off maybe 2 rounds a minute.
don't worry about that you have to buy them they're not given out.

So amendments only apply to what was around at the time they were written so you shouldn't have your Fourth amendment rights with regard to your cell phone or your electronic data? Or your vehicle? Those didn't exist in the time of the founding fathers. They never intended for you to have free speech on the Internet or to be securing your person and papers in your vehicle.

Just do away completely with the Constitution and be Nazis that's what you guys want right?

Back
Top Bottom