• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Music: A Vital Role?

When was music MOST vital?

• 10-14

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-17

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 18-21

• 22-25

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 26-30

• 30-36

• 36-43

• 44-55

• 56-65

• 66 +

• Total voters

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
When I was 16 I knew every song on the charts. I knew every artist. Now..... I dont follow it. There are some great songs in the past 5 years that I dont even know who MADE them!

My question is not only if music is a very vital role in your life but at what AGE was it most (or is it currently) vital.

EDIT: ARRRGH I wanted it Multiple Choice!

Last edited:
When I was younger, certainly. But, think about the time period for me. It was 1999, Napster was new, a huge legal battle was brewing, and a way of approaching music was changing entirely. It was one of the springboards for me finding a new hobby and analyzing digital audio and its uses in society. Perfect way to embrace my love of technology with my learning style and every young person's love of music.

Music isn't most vital during any given period, for me. As life changes and evolves, so does one's taste in music. Music certainly has reflected emotional ups and downs in my life - and now hearing some songs, will bring with it a rush of remembering a specific moment in time and refresh the emotions of that moment.. the good, the bad and the ugly.

I love music and it's always been an important part of my life. I couldn't imagine my life without it.

If I don't have music playing in the background or in my ear I'll just start tapping and singing out loud, so it's vital for everyone around me that I have music.

I'd say between when I was 15 and 20. I always had to have the newest CD (or at least a downloaded version of it :rock) from my favorite artists...

I even bought an MP3 player... but that was around the time that I stopped being obsessed with music, so I have a total of 0 songs on it.

Now-a-days I only listen to music in my car, and that's only if I'm not listening to the news or talk radio.

I don't listen to music all the time, but I am currently listening to Beethoven's 9th. Lovin it. Here is a CD I put together last week:

Bob Marley - Three Little Birds
YouTube - Bob Marley - Three Little Birds

Minnie Driver - Coming Back To Life
YouTube - Coming Back To Life - Minnie Driver

Giant Drag - This Isn't It
YouTube - This Isn't It by Giant Drag

The Jam - Down at the Tube Station at Midnight
YouTube - The Jam Down at the tube station at midnight

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Happy When It Rains
YouTube - The Jesus & Mary Chain - Happy When It Rains live Oslo 2007

The Verve - Star Sail
YouTube - Verve - Star Sail

Air - La Femme D'Argent
YouTube - Air - La Femme D'Argent

R.L. Burnside - Come On In
YouTube - R.L. Burnside - Come On In

Fugazi - Returning the Screw
YouTube - Fugazi playing "Returning the Screw"

Girls Against Boys - Disco Six Six Six
YouTube - girls against boys - disco six six six

Pixies - Where Is My Mind
YouTube - The Pixies : Where Is My Mind (1988)

I love listening to music, always have as far as I can remember. Mainly country. Sometimes I like to listen to classical, especially if I'm just going for background music or trying to sleep. My husband has gotten me into one or two of his bands and once in a while I might listen to some rock or easy listening, mostly from the '80s and '90s, if I just don't have anything else on. Around Christmas, I prefer Christmas music mixed into my country. But I don't think there has ever been a time in my life where music wasn't important to me. If given a choice between movies or music, I'd take the music.

IMO, always, to various extents.

I say as I sit hear listening to Iron Maiden on YouTube for the first time in my life...

I was lucky enough to see rock and roll in it's infancy and watch it grow and develop, with all the great early artists.

It got me into music by the time I was 8 and by 12 I was playing a few instruments. That was the golden age of rock and roll, with Bill Haily and the Comets, Elvis, and the guys who got me started in radio as a disc jockey, Alan Freed, and Wolf man Jack broadcasting live from Mexico on XERB 1090 Am.

I would like to see a question about when was Music most important to what was going on in the world at the time.

My vote goes to the 10 years between 1935 to 1945. I'm not old enough to have been there but some of it was still being played on early TV and radio when I was a little kid.

I know this music, was music the way it was meant to be and not just some idiot doing bad poetry to a beat and spitting noises.

This music gave our young men who were going off to fight the Germans and the Japanese something to think of and look forward to coming home to when the chips were really down and everything the U.S.A. and most of our Allies still stand for today was in serious jeopardy not unlike it is today but not from the outside.

We have had a few artists step up in recent years and I included one of my favorites, it's play is restricted here but it's on you tube and you have all heard it a hundred times.

YouTube - God Bless the U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood

Back
Top Bottom