• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Muscle memory

ricksfolly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here's a function animals automatically do and humans are still trying to figure out.

Muscle Memory

Initial muscle development... Cry, suckle, burp, fart, defecate, laugh, use of our tongue, fingers, hands, arms, legs, jaw, eye lids, and voice, instinctive muscle functions we learned to use when we were in our developing years, are still with us today in more developed forms.

Now, as adults, we take our involuntary muscle response for granted. When we walk, run, or exercise we don't ask why or how. We just remember what our muscles did in a similar situation and do it again.

ricksfolly

Here's a function animals automatically do and humans are still trying to figure out.

Muscle Memory

Initial muscle development... Cry, suckle, burp, fart, defecate, laugh, use of our tongue, fingers, hands, arms, legs, jaw, eye lids, and voice, instinctive muscle functions we learned to use when we were in our developing years, are still with us today in more developed forms.

Now, as adults, we take our involuntary muscle response for granted. When we walk, run, or exercise we don't ask why or how. We just remember what our muscles did in a similar situation and do it again.

ricksfolly

we take advantage of that in the military all the time. do a task over and over and over and over and over again and then when the **** hits the fan and it's crunch time, your body just does what it is supposed to do without having to think about it.

Muscle Memory

ricksfolly

Every professional athlete understands muscle memory; it's key to their success.

Every professional athlete understands muscle memory; it's key to their success.

tends to be a requirement of good musicianship, too

tends to be a requirement of good musicianship, too

seems like just about everyone knows about it. which is why the below from the OP makes no sense at all

hopefully he just was unable to coherently put his thoughts into words and he is not so addle minded to actually believe humans haven't figured out muscle memory :shrug:

Muscle memory - used in video games, musicianship, sports, many other daily activities. I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

Muscle memory - used in video games, musicianship, sports, many other daily activities. I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

neither do we. but apparently the OP thinks that humans haven't figured it out yet...

we take advantage of that in the military all the time. do a task over and over and over and over and over again and then when the **** hits the fan and it's crunch time, your body just does what it is supposed to do without having to think about it.

True, repetition develops muscle memory, not only in the army and sports, but in toddlers when they learn to walk, long before their budding minds are coordinated.

ricksfolly

True, repetition develops muscle memory, not only in the army and sports, but in toddlers when they learn to walk, long before their budding minds are coordinated.

ricksfolly

So why the comment about animals automatically doing it while humans are still "figuring it out"? Seems like humans are fully capable of grasping it.

seems like just about everyone knows about it. which is why the below from the OP makes no sense at all
:shrug:

What I was trying to get at, and I did it badly, was our muscles are stimulated to do physical things from the memory of what we did during similar situations, not our minds, our muscle memory. It's all automatic. Our minds are not in the loop.

ricksfolly

You're cosmically confused, rick. You should try being cosmically hyper awesome... like me.

What I was trying to get at, and I did it badly, was our muscles are stimulated to do physical things from the memory of what we did during similar situations, not our minds, our muscle memory. It's all automatic. Our minds are not in the loop.

ricksfolly

Our brain might still be involved, we just don't realise that it's involved. Things like heartbeat, breathing though seems to be controlled by the brain stem which doesn't appear to be part of the higher functions.

ricksfolly

The brain is involved through the Autonomic Nervous System, while it may not be a conscious effort, it's still run through the brain.

ricksfolly

This may be dumb to ask but is this why when someone that is like in a nursing home and cannot move anymore they have to give them drugs to keep the human body from moving like it suppose to or something?

You know I have been asleep will jerk awake due to my legs or arms moving. Wonder if it is my muscles and body trying to tell me they need more work? As if I do not work my ass off enough (I walk and hit hiking nature trails when I can etc) they want more of me:confused:

Back
Top Bottom