• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Murtha Showcased, Lieberman Ignored

aquapub

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A moderate leader of the Democrat party (Joe Lieberman) just came back and thoroughly contradicted the impression that has been methodically spoon-fed to us by the media that Iraq is a disaster. He went into detail and blew liberal misinformation out of the water. One would think this to be newsworthy. He is being COMPLETELY IGNORED by the media.

A while back, a usually moderate Democrat, John Murtha came back from Iraq and made outrageously false statements about our military being broken. He has been plastered all over every morning talk show, on every network. He has been “primetimed” all across CNN and MSNBC, and he has been on the front page of nearly every major paper in America.

Media bias? Hmmmm. :roll:

lol, someone's been studying their talking points:roll:

The reason that Lieberman isn't getting any attention is because no one gives a ****. I honestly could care less what Lieberman says or thinks about anything. If he came back saying that things were going terribly, I wouldn't care either.

Murtha is a story, he's a huge hawk democrat marine who came back and said that we need to get out of Iraq, and it motivated chaos on the floor and the introduction of a bill to withdraw all troops from Iraq. That's news because it's important.

Lieberman coming out and saying that things are going well is about as remarkable as Nancy Pelosi saying that the war is bad, so what, no one cares. That's why it's not news.

It's not even that people don't care abut Lieberman it's more like Galenrox said:

Murtha is an accomplished war vet who knows when things are good and bad

Lieberman isn't a vet and doesn't know. Lieberman can look at a general's strategy and think the general's playing Axis & Allies. Murtha can look at it and realize what's going on and when

I agree. Jack Murtha is infinitely more qualified to know the status of things over there, because he's been where our troops are now.

Does anyone here honestly think that the military units don't put on their best show whenever a Senator or Representative visits? Much like when my boss visits my location, I ensure all of my employees have their shirts tucked, their shoes shined, and that they tell her exactly what they're supposed to. Things are great, everything's coming up roses. The reality is rarely so rosey, but she walks away smiling, and we go on about the necessary tasks at hand once she's gone.

Lieberman's a good man, don't misunderstand me, but he just doesn't have the same experience as Murtha, and I'd definitely lend less weight to his sentiments, in this instance.

Murtha is in close contact with soldiers and people at the Pentagon. He goes to Walter Reed regularly (where wounded soldiers are). I am guessing that those serving in the military would feel more comfortable talking to Murtha, who has been in their position, than talking to Lieberman, who has never served in the military. People in the military have a special bond with each other. I see it on this message board.

Also, I pointed this out on another thread--the bad news is more interesting than the good news. I'm not talking solely about Iraq. It's all news. I turn on the TV and I hear about people dying in the streets in DC, kids shooting at each other in school and at football games, drunk drivers, people killed in car accidents, etc. That's just the way things are.

Lieberman kissing the butts of republicans is not remotely interesting. ;) Murtha beating up the republicans is, particularly because he has changed his position. Lieberman has always been a proponent of the war. Yawn.

Murtha's been skeptical about the war all along. It's not as if Bush himself had suddenly said that we should pull out. The media blew Murtha's comments way out of proportion. Lieberman got the appropriate amount of coverage. Murtha should've gotten the same.

Lieberman reminds me of Zell Miller - without the crazy quips and dual challenging.

There is talk in Washington of Joementum taking over for Rumsfeld in the DOD.

Good riddance if it happens.

hipsterdufus said:
Lieberman reminds me of Zell Miller - without the crazy quips and dual challenging.

There is talk in Washington of Joementum taking over for Rumsfeld in the DOD.

Good riddance if it happens.

Miller?

You must be kidding, no, it's just because he agrees with Bush, now he must be silenced, berated, belittled, and shunned.:shock:

FinnMacCool said:
Does anyone see the irony in this statement?

That was the point, way to pick up on that Capt. Obvious.;)

Here's what Harry Reid said to Joe:

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), yesterday on the Bill Press Show: "I've spoken to Joe Lieberman and he knows he's out there alone. I mean, literally alone. Joe is a fine man, he has strong feelings, but he's just alone. Even Republicans don't agree with Joe."

Here's what Murtha said about Joe:

"I don't expect every member of Congress to agree with my specific proposal in this debate - but I do expect them to take part in that debate, not to squash it."

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:

That makes little sense, some side of the debate must be "squashed" at some point, or the quagmire IS the debate.:confused:

CBS, NBC and ABC news are to give all sides of the news, but they give the
people only their version. One must ask the reason WHY?

hipsterdufus said:

Joe say it ain't so

Miller and Leiberman, a Conservative and a Moderate......Listen to the liberals here bash them........Just more proof there is no room in the democratic party for a conservative or a moderate or anyone that has a different opinion then the left wing ehacko base of the democratic party like Pelosi, Kennedy, and Kerry...........

No wonder more democrats are voting republican these days.........

Chet said:
CBS, NBC and ABC news are to give all sides of the news, but they give the
people only their version. One must ask the reason WHY?
Biases play much part in news today. I still think anyone other than C-Span are doing nothing more than pushing their ideas in peoples heads, and call it news! :confused:

stsburns said:
Biases play much part in news today. I still think anyone other than C-Span are doing nothing more than pushing their ideas in peoples heads, and call it news! :confused:

Probably more truth to that then not.

Last edited:
Well get off the forum, and get some facts on the internet......oh that's right, that's why you're already screwed in the head. I am so tired of this crap, you get what you want to hear, and that is where your sorry asses will reside.:roll:

Deegan said:
Well get off the forum, and get some facts on the internet......oh that's right, that's why you're already screwed in the head. I am so tired of this crap, you get what you want to hear, and that is where your sorry asses will reside.:roll:

Lost me here, who should look where... for what... or they'll reside where?

What bugs me is rags like the NY Times......They ran the Iraq prison scandal 59 straight days on their front page and when it comes to Leiberman He lucky if he makes page 20.........

Navy Pride said:
What bugs me is rags like the NY Times......They ran the Iraq prison scandal 59 straight days on their front page and when it comes to Leiberman He lucky if he makes page 20.........

In their defense, it's the way they sell papers, people don't want to read good news, They like things like the twin towers burning, seriously, they do. It's a sickness this world has, good news takes a backseat to bad, I doubt that will ever change, as sad as that seems.

Navy Pride said:
Cause it's not news! It's because no one gives a ****! He's a formerly prominent senator who's fallen in obsurity, thus meaning you're p.o.ed because we're not making a major news piece about an obscure senator stating his opinion?
What's the last thing Senator Grassley said about the war? Hmmm? How come that's not front page news?
Senators are stating their opinions on things all the time, watch c-span 2 if you don't believe me. So why the hell are you all getting so riled up over an obscure senator stating his opinion isn't front page news?

galenrox said:
Cause it's not news! It's because no one gives a ****! He's a formerly prominent senator who's fallen in obsurity, thus meaning you're p.o.ed because we're not making a major news piece about an obscure senator stating his opinion?
What's the last thing Senator Grassley said about the war? Hmmm? How come that's not front page news?
Senators are stating their opinions on things all the time, watch c-span 2 if you don't believe me. So why the hell are you all getting so riled up over an obscure senator stating his opinion isn't front page news?
Good point. From now on, I'm going to pay no attention to Clinton, Kennedy and Reid. No one cares what a senator has to say.

galenrox said:

I agree that Lieberman's comments about Iraq don't need to get any more coverage than they got, but why do Murtha's comments get so much coverage?

Back
Top Bottom