• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Murkowski Wins Alaska Senate Race

Chappy

User
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
At this point we are comfortable calling this race. Lisa has won. — Alaska Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich

It's an extraordinary thing: tens of thousands of Alaskans bucked the political system and successfully spelled out M-U-R-K-O-W-S-K-I.

Is there are larger message here? I think so. And, the political establishment should pay attention. Alaskans and I think Americans in general are starting to think outside the (ballot) box.

Excerpted from “Murkowski Wins Alaska Senate Race” By WILLIAM YARDLEY, The New York Times, Published: November 17, 2010
[SIZE="+2"]S[/SIZE]enator Lisa Murkowski won a historic victory on Wednesday in her long-shot run for re-election as a write-in candidate.

Alaskans voted for a republican masquerading as a republican. Well that is their choice. I just hope they were not expecting something different.

So you are saying, the Republican won. Interesting. :doh

At this point we are comfortable calling this race. Lisa has won. — Alaska Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich

It's an extraordinary thing: tens of thousands of Alaskans bucked the political system and successfully spelled out M-U-R-K-O-W-S-K-I.

Is there are larger message here? I think so. And, the political establishment should pay attention. Alaskans and I think Americans in general are starting to think outside the (ballot) box.

Lisa Murkowski is hardly an anti-establishment, outside-the-box politician.

I am somewhat surprised that a write-in candidate could win though. I really didn't think it was possible.

come on guys...this is the state that elected Sarah Palin as governor, in case you have forgotten. :lamo

Lisa Murkowski is hardly an anti-establishment, outside-the-box politician. …

It was the Alaskan voters who chose the write-in line who were thinking outside of the box. Lisa Murkowski was merely the object of their willingness to pass up the two printed names on the ballot.

Familiar political brands are starting to lose their grip on the American voter.

come on guys...this is the state that elected Sarah Palin as governor, in case you have forgotten. :lamo

Not electing Miller, it seems that they have learned a lesson, maybe.

You guys do realize that 65+ percent of voters voted either for the Republican or the Republican, right?

This is really astonishing.

So the people of Alaska have made history again by voting in the second write in Candidate other than Strom Thurmgood(Sp, I know that I spelled his name wrong). Why does his name have to be one of the hard names to spell. But I am glad Miller lost, because obliviously the people of Alaska wanted a Moderate instead of a insane wannabee dictator.

A sensible Republican won, instead of one who is bat**** insane. There is hope for the GOP. :mrgreen:

See also:
Angle, O'Donnell, Palladino

welcome back to the caucus, ms murkowski, congrats

take your seat, we have work to do

You guys do realize that 65+ percent of voters voted either for the Republican or the Republican, right?

So?

Some people dont mind having sane candidates who are not bat guano crazy

That's why I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Murkowski get's her ass handed to her in the primary, but wins the general election as a write in? That just ain't addin' up.

So the people of Alaska have made history again by voting in the second write in Candidate other than Strom Thurmgood(Sp, I know that I spelled his name wrong). Why does his name have to be one of the hard names to spell. But I am glad Miller lost, because obliviously the people of Alaska wanted a Moderate instead of a insane wannabee dictator.

Perhaps you spelled it wrong, because you don't even know how to pronounce it...:rofl

That's why I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Murkowski get's her ass handed to her in the primary, but wins the general election as a write in? That just ain't addin' up.

Alaska is mostly made up of independents.

Whatever..........................

Whats next hanging chads?

She won by a fairly large margin. And she even won not counting the misspellings.

Yeah, look who won minority leader in the House.

Perhaps because far more people vote in the general election than in the primary, which generally attracts the more extreme elements in both parties? Certainly makes sense to me... both parties are broke... they need fixing...

Also, a lot of Democrats likely saw Murkowski as the lesser of two evils and voted for her.

So?

Some people dont mind having sane candidates who are not bat guano crazy

And I'm sure that he hadn't been in the race and Murkowski would have won as the Republican candidate (as she would have, overwhelmingly), there would have been all these threads and posts about the "sanity" of Alaskan voters. Quite sure, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom