• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Murders, shootings soar in Chicago

antiquity

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
CHICAGO (CBS) — After three months, Chicago is on pace for one of the deadliest years in more than a decade.

Through March, 141 people were murdered in the city, police said. That’s a 72 percent increase compared with the 82 killings in 2015.

At that rate, the city in on pace for about 560 homicides, which would be the highest since 2003, when about 600 people were killed.

Shootings have also skyrocketed, from 359 incidents in 2015 to 677 so far this year.

The number of victims has nearly doubled: 800 this year, compared with 411 last year.

“While the rate of senseless violence in Chicago remains unacceptably high, the pace of violence slowed down in March, compared to January and February of this year,” according to a statement from Chicago Police. “Additionally, several metrics show an increase in police activity this past month, including an increase of gun arrest by nearly 10 percent as well as investigative stops that are up by 30 percent.”

In March, murders rose by 29 percent, compared to increases of 75 percent and 126 percent in January and February, respectively.

Overall, the month of March saw 45 murders, 271 shootings, and 319 shooting victims.

What I find interesting in the statement by the Chicago police is the claim of increased police activity in the month of March....but the murder rate rose by 29%? I am guessing the only increased in police activity was in the local donut shops.

What I find interesting in the statement by the Chicago police is the claim of increased police activity in the month of March....but the murder rate rose by 29%? I am guessing the only increased in police activity was in the local donut shops.

"At that rate, the city in on pace for about 560 homicides..."
That's about how many homicides there are in Canada in a year.

Chicago off to deadliest start in more than 15 years

CHICAGO – Chicago Police have released new crime statistics and the numbers show the first quarter of 2016 is the deadliest start to a year the city has had in nearly two decades.
There were 141 murders in Chicago between January 1, 2016 and March 31, 2016. That’s the deadliest since 1999 when there were 134 over the same time period.
Compared to 2015, the number of murders in the first three months of the year is up 72 percent.
The total number of shootings is up as well. There have been 677 shootings this year compared to 359 in 2015.
At that rate, the city could be on course to top 500 murders this year. It would be the second time since 2008. The last time was 2012.

Murders rose 29 percent last month compared to March 2015.

Overall there were 45 murders, 271 shootings and 319 shooting victims in March.

Murders in January 2016 rose 75 percent from the year before. February murders rose 126 percent over the same month in 2015.

“While CPD will remain tireless in its efforts to hold criminals accountable for their actions, we all have a part to play in creating a safer Chicago,” said Chicago Police Interim Superintendent Eddie Johnson. “In the coming weeks and months, I plan on meeting with and listening to a range of Chicagoans – from activists and elected officials to ministers and parents — to find ways that we can come together to build mutual trust and lasting partnerships that will make our streets safer for everyone.”

Chicago off to deadliest start in more than 15 years | CLTV

I am wondering if that statement from the new superintendent if that meeting he is talking about will be held in the local donut shop?

And the article claims shooting incidents have nearly doubled as well, from 359 to 677 for the same period in years past.

Chicago has had 2-1/2 years of legal concealed carry now, but I think the jury's still out on whether it's lowering violent crime. These shooting statistics don't seem to reflect concealed carry's helping here in shooting stats, which makes sense I suppose.

More welfare to make them more equal will solve the problem.. Crack down on racism and enforce more multiculturalism and the place will be a bastion of Utopian ideals in no time..

And the article claims shooting incidents have nearly doubled as well, from 359 to 677 for the same period in years past.

Chicago has had 2-1/2 years of legal concealed carry now, but I think the jury's still out on whether it's lowering violent crime. These shooting statistics don't seem to reflect concealed carry's helping here in shooting stats, which makes sense I suppose.

Because it is 90% black on black gang crime. Why would you lump in concealed carriers with gang violence?

Or it may have to do with...

Chicago Police Department's "stop and frisks" down 80 percent in 2016 | abc7chicago.com

which is largely due to...

Stop and Frisk in Chicago « American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois

Re: Chicago off to deadliest start in more than 15 years

Pass another gun law, it'll work! :roll:

Re: Chicago off to deadliest start in more than 15 years

Truth. Black Lives don't Matter. They don't matter to black people.

To add:

I've been hearing anecdotal stories of some CDP laying low on active physical violent confrontations, including in foot-pursuit situations that may lead to violent situations that may escalate to the application of severe or deadly force.

The Reason? The feds are ripping through every nook and cranny of the department, the public is confronting them continuously & taping their every move and reaction, the civil rights leaders are demonstrating constantly and raising hell, the Mayor is under extreme pressure and looking for scapegoats in the department anywhere he can find them, and complaints & civil suits are flying like nobody's business! And the feds are now monitoring every complaint & suit!

So apparently, some of the coppers are coming to the conclusion they'd prefer to be safe in looking-out for their careers, rather than put themselves in risky situations; it's better to lay low and survive, than be aggressive and become a target for not just the criminal, but public inquiry as well.

It's a totally screwed-up situation! Yes, CDP absolutely brought this upon themselves through institutionalized and structural problems from above, but now the rank & file are getting whiplashed as a result!

Also, the feds are now doing ride-alongs, which I think is going to really open-up their eyes to the difficulties & realities of policing neighborhoods like Englewood or the funkier areas of the West Side. After a few ride-alongs in the more active neighborhoods, I suspect the feds will better appreciate their federal paycheck!

That's beyond insulting, the cops here wold their asses off.

Though I'm for CC, it does nothing to curb the the MO of murders here.

You are absolutely correct. 515

Homicide offences, number and rate, by province and territory (Number of homicides)

Please note the jump last year in BC. There were over 22 drug gang related homicides where most of the dead were on visitor visas
Fair enough, but your facts seem to me to show the violence associated with the war on drugs. We saw this during alcohol prohibition, and now we see it with drugs.

In my city the war on drugs fuels the primary financing of streetgangs. Prohibition causes criminality.

I think you're reading it wrong. It says compared to January (up 75%) and February (up 126%)..the March (up 29%) murder rate went down because of increased police activity.

Last edited:
A rise in heroin use, an increase in drug gang activity, the police have cut back on arrests.....on top of the already existing extreme poverty without a lot of prospects for employment....what do you expect?

"At that rate, the city in on pace for about 560 homicides..."
That's about how many homicides there are in Canada in a year.

Not sure what point you are trying to make....but like Canada, Chicago has gun control. Chicago metro population is about 9.5 million compared with all of Canada's 33 million. Taking in consideration that Canada population is spread out over 3.8 million square miles I find the murder rate in Canada to be quite high...taking in consideration that Canada has limiting gun control and three times the population of Chicago. The murder rate in Toronto, for example, has increased by 140% this year alone and its only been three months.

Because it is 90% black on black gang crime. Why would you lump in concealed carriers with gang violence?
I'm looking for correlation.

'More guns on the streets = more shootings', would seem worthy of examination, no?

I'm not jumping to conclusions (yet) in this short period of time, but having the public carry guns in Chicago was sold to the public as a way to lower crime and violence; I'd like to see if that correlation will meet its sales promises.

Well we have to act within the Constitution of course, and stop-and-frisk is in a gray area that has often been clarified by the courts.

But your points are valid.

Take a look at my post #8 in this thread, which I think has a lot to do with the rise, and is similar to what you pointed-out.

All close, but not right. We don't have "gangs" nor do we have protection issues. The CPD eradicated proper gangs decades ago, which outside of Chicago is misunderstood because some Chicagoans (but mostly non-Chicagoans) refer to them still as gangs. Regardless imagine of those all gangs that were the source of violence in the 80s and 90s --those hardly exist anymore.

Instead Chicago's problem is entirely rooted in the availability of handguns to teenagers, which is why city leaders attempted to ban them.
We have thousands of high school aged kids and young adults living in high poverty areas who are unemployed, have no life prospects and literally nothing better to do.
So take all of your high school drama -- breakups, jealous, pregnancies, bullying, rivalries, etc. -- make the involved individuals unemployed and under-educated, and then hand each and everyone of them handguns.

That's what we are dealing with, and that's why CPD has literally no effect upon the shootings.

Police aren't allowed in black neighborhoods anymore, or haven't you heard?

Not sure what point you are trying to make....but like Canada, Chicago has gun control. Chicago metro population is about 9.5 million compared with all of Canada's 33 million. Taking in consideration that Canada population is spread out over 3.8 million square miles I find the murder rate in Canada to be quite high...taking in consideration that Canada has limiting gun control and three times the population of Chicago. The murder rate in Toronto, for example, has increased by 140% this year alone and its only been three months.
To the bolded:

Chicago *had* gun control. It no longer has for the past 2-1/2 years. And that's what's of concern here: Guns controls were removed, and gun violence skyrocketed. Is there a correlation?

That's what were looking at here.

That's beyond insulting, the cops here wold their asses off.

Yeah..I bet you are right, the cops are 'wold' there asses off. (in Britain, often in place names) wold....a piece of high, open, uncultivated land or moor. Does that describe Chicago? Close enough....

Fair enough, but your facts seem to me to show the violence associated with the war on drugs. We saw this during alcohol prohibition, and now we see it with drugs.

In my city the war on drugs fuels the primary financing of streetgangs. Prohibition causes criminality.

You have it backwards. The killing is between gangs.

Back
Top Bottom