• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Multiple people shot on busy street in Washington, D.C., police say

You know, I thought maybe if something really awful happened to a lot of Congress critters, it might actually make a difference. But then I remembered the baseball team shootup, and all they did was increase their own personal security.

American culture views violence as a problem solver. Think about it: American Revolution, Civil War, WWI, WWII, War on Terror...okay, maybe not the last one, but you get the idea. War is popular because in American 'lore', violence solves problems

I grew UP in that area, left in 1977.
In the Seventies 14th & U was so bad you had to be 100% outta your mind to even go there day or night.
Now it's a decent place to live for the most part.
Trust me, DC may be hectic and it might have its problems but it's doing a lot better than it was back then.
Actually, because of the orange riot lights, I think it was the safest place. It just wasn't very pleasant.

Funny how all the mass murderers are from Texas, Virginia, Colorado, Arizona...I thought "good guys with a gun strapped to each ankle" would stop such madness.
Was this guy from Texas? I hadn't heard that.

i bet you thought years ago that this game you play was brilliant and would last forever. now it's just played out and everyone sees what you're doing.
Ah, so you now admit that banning ars and requiring permits for carry are not conservative programs, and therefore I'm not conservative.

Yeah, most people knew that. It's pretty obvious. Gaslight postings to the contrary haven't swayed anyone. They've all seen through it.

Was this guy from Texas? I hadn't heard that.

This is also a nothing-burger, so there's that.

Obviously I pray that the victims are okay but compared to VA Tech, Columbine, Arizona, Colorado....

This is also a nothing-burger, so there's that.

Obviously I pray that the victims are okay but compared to VA Tech, Columbine, Arizona, Colorado....
It's almost as if all the states are all missing the laws that would prevent these violent attacks...

I noticed that. I don't know.
That is a painting of Yakub. In accordance with Islamic lore, he is the 'scientist' that created white people. The Nation of Islam reveres him.

That is a painting of Yakub. In accordance with Islamic lore, he is the 'scientist' that created white people. The Nation of Islam reveres him.
Why, indeed it is! Interesting. Thanks!

Which states lack laws against violent attacks?
Few, if any. So since these attacks continue, perhaps these are not the laws that need to be focused on.

What a delusional religion that Islam is.

This is all normal.

Few, if any. So since these attacks continue, perhaps these are not the laws that need to be focused on.

Why is that? Do you feel that having different laws with lesser penalties would work better? Keep in mind that this (very lousy?) shooter committed suicide - likely out of a desire not to serve a lengthy prison sentence for having violated existing laws.

Thoughts and prayers, anyone?
Yes, we should pray that Congress abolishes DC home rule, takes direct control of the police, and begins rounding up criminals and giving them long sentences

I live in the DC area. You'll see shootings in the news but the reaction is "Meh", even when people die. I mean I get it, it doesn't happen all the time in NW. It's wealthier. Crime isn't supposed to happen where the rich people live and play. But it's a reminder of crime and how we perceive 'victims' gets reinforced subconsciously. I don't think it's deliberate; it operates on the subconscious level, but it's still creating disparities.
We tend to become jaded to death in high crime areas because of the frequency of it. In the case of active shooters, it's perceived as a different level of threat because those shooters tend to be more random than the more predictable nature of gang shootings etc. One can easily compartmentalize shootings in high crime areas and think that if you don't go to those areas you'll be fine. Active shooters disrupt that comfortable categorization, and also broaden the potential targets to include average citizens in normally safe areas.

It's no different in NYC where a shooting in the Upper East Side would be much more frightening than one in Brownsville.

Why is that? Do you feel that having different laws with lesser penalties would work better? Keep in mind that this (very lousy?) shooter committed suicide - likely out of a desire not to serve a lengthy prison sentence for having violated existing laws.
Absolutely. I feel that legislation addressing poverty and mental health would have a far greater impact on shootings, and these laws do not need to have strict penalties to be effective.

Yes, we should pray that Congress abolishes DC home rule, takes direct control of the police, and begins rounding up criminals and giving them long sentences
The issue is, the criminals don't care about being round up and getting long sentences. This doesn't solve the ongoing and continual cycle of crime and violence.

Back
Top Bottom