• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mueller argues Whitaker appointment has no impact in ongoing subpoena fight

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The appointment of acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker two weeks ago should have no effect on an ongoing court challenge that questions the constitutionality of special counsel Robert Mueller’s appointment, the Justice Department argued in a new court filing Monday.

The question before the court, originally filed by Andrew Miller, is whether or not Mueller was properly appointed. This is the exact same argument Nixon used in 1974, which SCOTUS immediately shot down. The administration is expanding this case to ask whether or not subpoenas and indictments issued under Mueller are invalid, due to a change of the Attorney General. Their claim is that subpoenas and indictments are now invalid because neither Sessions nor Rosenstein are part of the Justice Department any more, and subpoenas and indictments are only valid if Whittaker signs off on them. Mueller has fired back, again using the Nixon decision, as well as US Code.

"Similarly, by regulation, the Special Counsel has and continues to “exercise, within the scope of his or her jurisdiction, the full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney.” 28 C.F.R. § 600.6; see United States v. Nixon, 418 U.S. 683, 695 (1974) (“So long as [a] regulation is extant it has the force of law.”)."

Read Mueller's complete brief here

It has started. This administration is now attempting to shut down the investigation, and guess what? It won't work. More than 3 dozen sealed indictments are already on the DC docket, and Trump has no power whatsoever to make them go away, which is why he is attempting this desperation move, which will fail spectacularly in very short order. The clock of justice is ticking down, and when it reaches zero, there is going to be hell to pay.

https://kbzk.com/cnn-us-politics/20...ment-has-no-impact-in-ongoing-subpoena-fight/

The question before the court, originally filed by Andrew Miller, is whether or not Mueller was properly appointed. This is the exact same argument Nixon used in 1974, which SCOTUS immediately shot down. The administration is expanding this case to ask whether or not subpoenas and indictments issued under Mueller are invalid, due to a change of the Attorney General. Their claim is that subpoenas and indictments are now invalid because neither Sessions nor Rosenstein are part of the Justice Department any more, and subpoenas and indictments are only valid if Whittaker signs off on them. Mueller has fired back, again using the Nixon decision, as well as US Code.

"Similarly, by regulation, the Special Counsel has and continues to “exercise, within the scope of his or her jurisdiction, the full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney.” 28 C.F.R. § 600.6; see United States v. Nixon, 418 U.S. 683, 695 (1974) (“So long as [a] regulation is extant it has the force of law.”)."

It has started. This administration is now attempting to shut down the investigation, and guess what? It won't work. More than 3 dozen sealed indictments are already on the DC docket, and Trump has no power whatsoever to make them go away, which is why he is attempting this desperation move, which will fail spectacularly in very short order. The clock of justice is ticking down, and when it reaches zero, there is going to be hell to pay.

https://kbzk.com/cnn-us-politics/20...ment-has-no-impact-in-ongoing-subpoena-fight/

I'm not clear on how this prevents Whitaker from denying Mueller any requests to sign off on subpoenas and indictments.

So Mueller walks into Whitaker's office and says, "Here's an indictment for X, please sign and approve it." Whitaker says, "No." When then?

I'm not clear on how this prevents Whitaker from denying Mueller any requests to sign off on subpoenas and indictments.

So Mueller walks into Whitaker's office and says, "Here's an indictment for X, please sign and approve it." Whitaker says, "No." When then?

Whitaker has no power to stop indictments that have already been filed, and there are more than 3 dozen sealed indictments on the DC court docket, 17 of which have been filed since August.

Ok, at this point, you should be able to tell us who you believe is about to be indicted, and for what....Or, is this just more bash bait for entertainment ?

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Whitaker has no power to stop indictments that have already been filed, and there are more than 3 dozen sealed indictments on the DC court docket, 17 of which have been filed since August.

Is that true? How do you know that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious how you know that.

Ok, at this point, you should be able to tell us who you believe is about to be indicted, and for what....Or, is this just more bash bait for entertainment ?

Why would you ask that? The thread discussion is about the AG's powers with regards to Mueller's investigation, not who is about to be indicted.

Is that true? How do you know that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious how you know that.

United States v. Nixon, 418 U.S. 683, 695 (1974)

The ruling is part of Mueller's brief.

So you do not know what a "sealed indictment" is? Hint: it is sealed, meaning it is not known publicly who it is for.

The Grand Jury issues a True Bill of Indictment, not the Justice Department. Once those true bills are filled in court, only a court can dismiss the charges in the indictment. The US Attorney can file a motion to dismiss, but only a judge can grant the motion and dismiss the charges, not Whitaker or anyone else in the DOJ.

From what I understand, this statement from Mueller's team is intended to head off a defense strategy that might be used by Miller's defense team. I don't see it as having anything to do with Whitaker or anyone else in the Trump administration attempting to shut down the investigation.

Heck, I haven't seen ANYTHING that indicates that Whitaker is going to shut down the investigation.

Now, for sure, Whitaker MIGHT be doing things...but we don't know about them.

I'm confused about this thread. In the article, both the defendant & the prosecutors are stating that the change in the AG office has no bearing on the case. The only reason they even spoke on the topic is because the appellate judges asked if the change modified either of their positions, and it doesn't.

In Miller’s own response to the Whitaker question, also just filed, his legal defense team agrees that nothing in his case changes with Sessions’ departure and Whitaker’s appointment.

Seriously, this is an article effectively "Nothing has changed".

No the media keeps throwing it out there for ratings. They have been saying Trump is going to fire Mueller from the beginning. Eventually people are going to believe it.

The proof is that Trump has not fired Mueller. He has the authority to do so, and US v Nixon had to do with the authority of the Special Fisherman to subpoena the tape recordings and other documents. AFAIK, Trump has not even claimed executive privilege.

The "question before the court" was heard in an appeals court, not SCOTUS.

BTW, SCOTUS has not ruled, and IMO should rule once and for all if a Special Investigator by any other name should allowed to search for a crime when there in no underlying crime stated against Trump. Mueller's charter was to investigate Manaforte's colluding with the Russians to influence the investigation. Mueller has allowed the media to turn Trump into a target when he is not. This on it's face is enough for SCOTUS to end it simply as an assault on our political process, because the effect is as designed: To hinder and demoralize, thus inhibiting the elected administration from having the good will necessary to move bipartisan legislation.

In simple English, **** or get off the pot. Your time is up dickwad. If you can't bust Trump by now, you never will.

From what I understand, this statement from Mueller's team is intended to head off a defense strategy that might be used by Miller's defense team. I don't see it as having anything to do with Whitaker or anyone else in the Trump administration attempting to shut down the investigation.

Heck, I haven't seen ANYTHING that indicates that Whitaker is going to shut down the investigation.

Now, for sure, Whitaker MIGHT be doing things...but we don't know about them.
I...I...

Umm...I think I agree with what you said here. But that cannot possibly be right.

The only thing which I would quibble with (and I have to, because you and I agreeing completely just doesn't seem right) is that Whitaker has made statements in the past to suggest he would shut down the investigation if given the chance. So I would argue you've seen things which indicate Whitaker might work to shut down the investigation, but, as you said, we don't know about them yet.

So you do not know what a "sealed indictment" is? Hint: it is sealed, meaning it is not known publicly who it is for.

Hmmm...

"Sealed" in Progressiville means CNN and WAPO publish it via an "anonymous source" right? :lamo

I...I...

Umm...I think I agree with what you said here. But that cannot possibly be right.

The only thing which I would quibble with (and I have to, because you and I agreeing completely just doesn't seem right) is that Whitaker has made statements in the past to suggest he would shut down the investigation if given the chance. So I would argue you've seen things which indicate Whitaker might work to shut down the investigation, but, as you said, we don't know about them yet.

Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results

Generally, "sealed indictments" means the prosecutor deliberately prevented the grand jury from giving the accused any right to offer any defense and to deny the grand jury members any possible means to explore the accusation. Sealed indictments are done when the prosecutor's goal is to obtain indictments in a manner to assure no evidence to the contrary is even allowed. But then Mueller has always been exorbitantly corrupt and a true believer in the perfect police state.

Mueller's practice is simple: Do anything possible to get targeted people imprisoned - guilty or innocent - and then apply all pressure to convince the person the risks are too great to plead not-guilty - assuring no matter what he has destroyed the person's reputation and cost the person massive sums of money in legal defense. Obtaining sealed indictments against political figures certain to not run is just more of Mueller's Gestapo police state tactics and for that alone he should be fired.

Why would you ask that? The thread discussion is about the AG's powers with regards to Mueller's investigation, not who is about to be indicted.
The OP, brought up indictments...As though just the threat of those is supposed to make us all go "Oh, ok, well, what you say must be true then..." So, yes it is about who Dana thinks is about to be indicted...get it?

Clearly you, or Dana has an opinion about who's on the chopping block? Or is it just bs?

Clearly you, or Dana has an opinion about who's on the chopping block? Or is it just bs?

Clearly, I will find out when the information becomes public. Why is this complicated for you?

The OP, brought up indictments...As though just the threat of those is supposed to make us all go "Oh, ok, well, what you say must be true then..." So, yes it is about who Dana thinks is about to be indicted...get it?

Nobody but Mueller and his team knows who's going to be indicted next.

Nobody but Mueller and his team knows who's going to be indicted next.

Just like Jews didn't know who the SS was coming for next.

I believe if Whitaker were to do so that it would automatically trigger a report about the action to Congress.

Further proof whitaker is a plant and is either too stupid to realize it or already made a deal with mueller. Or Mueller/Rosenstein put him there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom