• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSNBC's Joy Reid dismisses focus on Gabby Petito case as 'missing White woman syndrome

There's a reason for that. If the media focused this much attention on a missing black woman there would be a good possibility that at some point they'd also have to focus on a black man that committed the abduction and we just can't have that kind of thing make national headlines. Find a black woman that gets abducted and/or murdered by a white guy and we'll get plenty of coverage.
Racist nonsense.

Just look at the border! Black people living in squalor and disease. Children in dirt. Not. One. Word. From Madame Reid.

Summary

Pfizer says vaccine is safe for ages five to eleven. Biden administration, relaxes travel restrictions for vaccinated. Mississippi Governor Reeves says he`s relying on personal responsibility to stem raging pandemic. Border patrol tries to stem flood of Haitians refugees. Thousands of Haitian migrants gather on southern border. DHS secretary say our borders are not open.

Just look at the border! Black people living in squalor and disease. Children in dirt. Not. One. Word. From Madame Reid.
She's too busy pushing the "whip" narrative.

This is turning out to be another example of why racism is going no where anytime soon.

There is a legitimate conversation to have about stories like Gabby Petito end up with one type of coverage and attention and stories like Daniel Robinson (black male missing for months now) end up with another type of coverage and attention. But it also goes a step further in how criminal cases are covered as well.

But all of that ends up diminished with shit like "Missing White Woman Syndrome." That does not inspire anyone to reconsider their position on the matter assuming they even have one.

What we are conditioned to pay attention to, largely by a media apparatus designed for certain returns on that investment, ends up narrowing our point of view on these things anyway. I highly doubt very many people out there look at the case of Cabby Petito and say to themselves, "who out there is black and is also 0missing under similar circumstances and why are we not talking about it?"

Some may, others may not, and does not mean there is an evil villain in the lot of them even if Joy Reid needs them to be a villain.

I would argue Native Americans and illegal immigrants have the least amount of media coverage on who went missing and under whatever circumstances. Which also speaks volumes as to why this subject is going no where in advancing any other area of dealing with prejudices, racism, what sells ad space on CNN, or whatever else lazy liberalism is triggered about today *yet* will not do nothing but bitch about it.

"Missing White Woman Syndrome."

Joy does have a point here. I mean both sides of the media does this, but FOX is notorious for this. It's been on front and center on their website for days now. I bet if you turn on Fox News now, they will be covering it. It's the "help the pretty blonde girl be found" news reporting. As Joy said, the media ignores people of color.

It is an unfortunate truth that the American media panders.

Yeah, Black LIVES Matter....was all about 1 person. That is beyond being a myopic comment, compounded by the fact that it concerned government officials engaging in discriminatory homicide for decades. Why would we expect your comments to contain any sort acceptance of the bias news sources have for missing white girls at the hands of their white BF. Good thing he wasn't black, or we might have had another Tulsa.
2 BILLION in damages and dozens dead after ONE black man was murdered. Riots, looting, thuggery and death for A YEAR.
They law doesn't discriminate based on the job of the killer.

You think Gabby's parents are going to be celebrities and get millions? I don't.
So don't give me this crap and bitching about one week's worth of covering a young white woman missing and now dead.

She's too busy pushing the "whip" narrative.
Because she can't bring herself to cover the 13 THOUSAND blacks gathered in a makeshift refugee camp, with no sanitation, food and rampant spread of disease, all because of Joe Biden. So she found a viral photo, misrepresented it, made a straw man, and earned her Faustian salary.

after ONE black man was murdered
Still trying to argue that the BLM movement.....was about 1 homicide.

You think Gabby's parents are going to be celebrities and get millions?

I think your argument is incapable of digesting what I said and absolutely has to make up complete fantasy.

Let me know if you accept that Reid has discussed the Haitians/border issue.

The vast majority of missing/murder cases are not national news. Petito’s case is because her cross country journey was live on social media and a post about her disappearance snowballed into 500 million views.

The vast majority of missing/murder cases are not national news. Petito’s case is because her cross country journey was live on social media and a post about her disappearance snowballed into 500 million views.
And she's a pretty, blond white woman. You left that out.

And she's a pretty, blond white woman. You left that out.
The cable news media doesn’t care about the cases. They care about ratings so they’re going with the 1 case that generated 500 million social media views and cadaver Carole who no one has ever heard of will be lucky to get local coverage.

The media doesn’t care about the cases. They care about ratings so they’re going with the 1 case that generated 500 million social media views instead of cadaver Carole who no one has ever heard of.
That happened before her disappearance was reported?

Because she can't bring herself to cover the 13 THOUSAND blacks gathered in a makeshift refugee camp, with no sanitation, food and rampant spread of disease, all because of Joe Biden. So she found a viral photo, misrepresented it, made a straw man, and earned her Faustian salary.
Notice the deflection here folks?

Yeah, so do I

"Missing White Woman Syndrome."

Joy does have a point here. I mean both sides of the media does this, but FOX is notorious for this. It's been on front and center on their website for days now. I bet if you turn on Fox News now, they will be covering it. It's the "help the pretty blonde girl be found" news reporting. As Joy said, the media ignores people of color.

I mean - she's got a point. I can't recall the news story about "the pretty young black girl" who disappeared on spring break.

I mean - she's got a point. I can't recall the news story about "the pretty young black girl" who disappeared on spring break.
hey!!!!! look over there ---------------------> Biden is on vacation and RIDING and BIKE!!

Notice the deflection here folks?

Yeah, so do I
Oh the irony. Ignore the open border and invasion and focus on LEOs riding horses.
You know it's not wonder that hacks like Rachel Maddow and homophobe Joy Reid get paid more money than God to do their jobs, because they're just that good at leading dupes around by the nose.

Well, this happened in Wyoming and they have an entire law enforcement task force dedicated solely to finding missing indigenous girls - most of whom are found alive and half within a week. There’s no task force in Wyoming dedicated to missing white girls so what they found over a month later was a decomposing body and they’re relying on social media sleuths to find the missing boyfriend who probably killed her.

1. Yes, the obsessive coverage on local and national TV stations (not to mention cable outlets, such as my favorite FOX) is excessive and almost comical.

2. Yes, although I would never lower myself by watching MSNBC, it is accurate to say that those outlets would never give this much coverage to a missing or murdered lady of color.

3. I do not fault the TV stations for their coverage, however.

a. The United States of America has traditionally been a Caucasian-majority nation.
b. It is only natural that a beautiful young Caucasian lady who has been missing and now has been found dead would interest a lot of Caucasian viewers. There is nothing sinister about such coverage, which is presumably good for ratings.
c. Now people want to know: Where is her boyfriend? It is simply a good story.

4. The TV stations do not give the same coverage to missing ladies of color because not enough viewers are that interested in such cases.

a. Ladies of color are (currently) members of minority groups.
b. The majority ethnicity is naturally interested in missing ladies of their own ethnicity.
c. In the coming decades when two certain ethnicities become the overwhelming majority, presumably the TV stations will give excessive coverage to missing ladies of those two ethnicities.

5. Ms. R., I hear, is a rabblerouser, like that notorious reverend on the same channel. Some people, of course, like to watch, for she ratifies their agenda. I like to think that most people would never dignify her remarks by ever watching her show.
Balanced assessment

Oh the irony. Ignore the open border and invasion and focus on LEOs riding horses.
You know it's not wonder that hacks like Rachel Maddow and homophobe Joy Reid get paid more money than God to do their jobs, because they're just that good at leading dupes around by the nose.
go start your own god damn white wing thread about "scary, brown people invading our country"

Give it a ****ing rest.

and there is no ****ing god. No need to bring it up

She has her own show. Who is stopping her from having a segment to report the missing non-white woman? Fxxk, she doesn't do it but complaining others don't. What is wrong with her?
Gabby Petito story has little to do with colour :rolleyes:

BS. So there is a major story about a missing white woman on FOX. The liberals and Joy Reid are unhappy. WELL! FOX is also reporting on the massive violence and rising murder rate in black neighborhoods and particularly among young black children every day. This story about the violence that is claiming the lives of children is almost totally ignored by Joy Reid and others in the left wing media, like say, Don Lemon. Why? Well because it's happening largely in black/brown neighborhoods run by black leaders in democrat run cities.
I don't know if "liberals are unhappy" as much as our being perplexed that a missing young white girl is national news and none of us can remember the story about the young pretty black girl who disappeared.

You know how you hate people bringing up 1/6? Now you know how we feel :)

Back
Top Bottom