• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSNBC's Joy Reid dismisses focus on Gabby Petito case as 'missing White woman syndrome

madman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
"Missing White Woman Syndrome."

Joy does have a point here. I mean both sides of the media does this, but FOX is notorious for this. It's been on front and center on their website for days now. I bet if you turn on Fox News now, they will be covering it. It's the "help the pretty blonde girl be found" news reporting. As Joy said, the media ignores people of color.

MSNBC host Joy Reid turned to race Monday while discussing the media's coverage of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito, dismissing the focus on the case as "missing White woman syndrome."

During a segment on her show "The ReidOut," Reid said while Petito's family deserved "answers and justice," she felt the same media attention didn't apply to non-White people when they go missing. "It goes without saying that no family should ever have to endure that kind of pain. And the Petito family certainly deserves answers and justice," Reid said. "But the way this story has captivated the nation has many wondering, why not the same media attention when people of color go missing?"
Well, the answer actually has a name: Missing White woman syndrome. The term coined by the late and great Gwen Iffil to describe the media and public fascination with missing White women like Laci Peterson or Natalee Holloway, while ignoring cases involving missing people of color," she added, referencing two well-known cases of missing women.

MSNBC has extensively covered the case and its website Monday morning prominently featured an opinion piece on the missing woman.

Reid spent the remainder of the segment discussing multiple instances of missing Black and Native American individuals she claimed to have never heard about in the same way as the Petito case.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

She also cited statistics from the Black and Missing Foundation that suggested the disparity in media coverage between missing White women and non-White women was attributed to missing minorities often being classified as runaways, minority adults being labeled as associated with crime, and that minorities are dismissed because it's believed they live most of their lives with poverty and crime as a regular part of their lives.

Reid ended the segment by suggesting that missing women of color weren't noticed as much because they didn't look like the daughters or granddaughters of newsroom executives, alluding to one of her guest's earlier claims on the show that stories on missing non-White women weren't sensational enough for the White, middle-aged males leading newsrooms.

Joy does have a point here. I mean both sides of the media does this, but FOX is notorious for this. It's been on front and center on their website for days now. I bet if you turn on Fox News now, they will be covering it. It's the "help the pretty blonde girl be found" news reporting. As Joy said, the media ignores people of color.

BS. So there is a major story about a missing white woman on FOX. The liberals and Joy Reid are unhappy. WELL! FOX is also reporting on the massive violence and rising murder rate in black neighborhoods and particularly among young black children every day. This story about the violence that is claiming the lives of children is almost totally ignored by Joy Reid and others in the left wing media, like say, Don Lemon. Why? Well because it's happening largely in black/brown neighborhoods run by black leaders in democrat run cities.

In the mind of Joy Ann Reid:

Hmmm, a young woman has gone missing. Her anguished family is suffering through the most severe emotional pain imaginable. How can I turn this to my advantage? ...

The irony! It burns!

WE SURE cover the black shot be cops stories. Why don't we cover the white shot by cops? Get off the constant stirring the race issue. It's all the left has, race, hate, division. Try compromise to get something done. Try encouraging people of all races and genders to excel and be self sufficient instead of having to depend on the government to take care of then and for then in dependency on handouts.

BS. So there is a major story about a missing white woman on FOX. The liberals and Joy Reid are unhappy. WELL! FOX is also reporting on the massive violence and rising murder rate in black neighborhoods and particularly among young black children every day. This story about the violence that is claiming the lives of children is almost totally ignored by Joy Reid and others in the left wing media, like say, Don Lemon. Why? Well because it's happening largely in black/brown neighborhoods run by black leaders in democrat run cities.
Not BS. Open your eyes! (so cliche, i know) It's always the pretty white women on the front pages. Hell, my FB page has exploded with stories of Gabbie from my conservative "friends"

She isn't wrong.

When is the last time you save a congressman of the democrat party address this on a nation forum? I haven't and I don't see the left media covering it either.

I don't know. I think the attraction for me is that he brazenly drove home without her, kept silent...his family kept silent, and it made it seem like an incredible violation of justice. Like, there is a suspected killer right there and no one can touch him. Now that he's gone missing and they found her body, that just intensifies.
They were also documenting it on social media, making it seemingly more likely to capture viewers with all their up-to-date videos.

WE SURE cover the black shot be cops stories. Why don't we cover the white shot by cops? Get off the constant stirring the race issue. It's all the left has, race, hate, division. Try compromise to get something done. Try encouraging people of all races and genders to excel and be self sufficient instead of having to depend on the government to take care of then and for then in dependency on handouts.
get with the program. We are discussing missing white women.

When is the last time you save a congressman of the democrat party address this on a nation forum? I haven't and I don't see the left media covering it either.
Yeah... the media sucks. This whole story was amplified to sell commercials.

That is the point.

Yesterday, we averaged over the last week more than one COVID death PER MINUTE.

Excuse me if I don't hyperfocus on one single murder. Joy Reid is exactly right.

I wonder how much media coverage there would be if a black man abducted and murdered his black girlfriend. Would Ms. Reid be talking about how awful it is or how the media tends to focus on black crime instead of important stuff such as climate or Trump?

I wonder how much media coverage there would be if a black man abducted and murdered his black girlfriend. Would Ms. Reid be talking about how awful it is or how the media tends to focus on black crime instead of important stuff such as climate or Trump?
another tangent

I think the media focuses on stories like this because they're "who done it's." For some reason, it is more of a white culture phenomenon like the Natalee Holloway story.

So a media member is whining that something isn't getting media coverage? How about she does her ****ing job and cover it then

You guys hate white people. We get it.

1. Yes, the obsessive coverage on local and national TV stations (not to mention cable outlets, such as my favorite FOX) is excessive and almost comical.

2. Yes, although I would never lower myself by watching MSNBC, it is accurate to say that those outlets would never give this much coverage to a missing or murdered lady of color.

3. I do not fault the TV stations for their coverage, however.

a. The United States of America has traditionally been a Caucasian-majority nation.
b. It is only natural that a beautiful young Caucasian lady who has been missing and now has been found dead would interest a lot of Caucasian viewers. There is nothing sinister about such coverage, which is presumably good for ratings.
c. Now people want to know: Where is her boyfriend? It is simply a good story.

4. The TV stations do not give the same coverage to missing ladies of color because not enough viewers are that interested in such cases.

a. Ladies of color are (currently) members of minority groups.
b. The majority ethnicity is naturally interested in missing ladies of their own ethnicity.
c. In the coming decades when two certain ethnicities become the overwhelming majority, presumably the TV stations will give excessive coverage to missing ladies of those two ethnicities.

5. Ms. R., I hear, is a rabblerouser, like that notorious reverend on the same channel. Some people, of course, like to watch, for she ratifies their agenda. I like to think that most people would never dignify her remarks by ever watching her show.

another tangent
Tangent? Isn't that the whole point of this discussion? Reid was discussing "missing white woman syndrome" which, itself, is entirely going off on a tangent from the Petito coverage.

There was lots of coverage of the disappearance and murder of Vanessa Guillen last year.

Coverage tends to be spurred by the parents and other loved ones reaching out to the media. That doesn't always happen and it especially doesn't happen when the missing person is known or suspected to be involved in activities they family might want to be made public.

Think about stuff like mental health problems, criminal activity, tendency toward risky behaviors and such. A lot of families don't want that kind of information made public so they don't make a media push to get the word out.

1. Yes, the obsessive coverage on local and national TV stations (not to mention cable outlets, such as my favorite FOX) is excessive and almost comical.

2. Yes, although I would never lower myself by watching MSNBC, it is accurate to say that those outlets would never give this much coverage to a missing or murdered lady of color.

3. I do not fault the TV stations for their coverage, however.

a. The United States of America has traditionally been a Caucasian-majority nation.
b. It is only natural that a beautiful young Caucasian lady who has been missing and now has been found dead would interest a lot of Caucasian viewers. There is nothing sinister about such coverage, which is presumably good for ratings.
c. Now people want to know: Where is her boyfriend? It is simply a good story.

4. The TV stations do not give the same coverage to missing ladies of color because not enough viewers are that interested in such cases.

a. Ladies of color are (currently) members of minority groups.
b. The majority ethnicity is naturally interested in missing ladies of their own ethnicity.
c. In the coming decades when two certain ethnicities become the overwhelming majority, presumably the TV stations will give excessive coverage to missing ladies of those two ethnicities.

5. Ms. R., I hear, is a rabblerouser, like that notorious reverend on the same channel. Some people, of course, like to watch, for she ratifies their agenda. I like to think that most people would never dignify her remarks by ever watching her show.
Not even the left wing media gives it any coverage so clean up your own house first.

Who is Gabby Petito?

wonder_40x40.gif

Back
Top Bottom