• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSNBC's Joy Reid dismisses focus on Gabby Petito case as 'missing White woman syndrome

Tangent? Isn't that the whole point of this discussion? Reid was discussing "missing white woman syndrome" which, itself, is entirely going off on a tangent from the Petito coverage.

There was lots of coverage of the disappearance and murder of Vanessa Guillen last year.

Coverage tends to be spurred by the parents and other loved ones reaching out to the media. That doesn't always happen and it especially doesn't happen when the missing person is known or suspected to be involved in activities they family might want to be made public.

Think about stuff like mental health problems, criminal activity, tendency toward risky behaviors and such. A lot of families don't want that kind of information made public so they don't make a media push to get the word out.
dude, give it a rest and either discuss the subject here or go elsewhere.

dude, give it a rest and either discuss the subject here or go elsewhere.
My bad. Reid is right. It's all racist and she's been working her ass off for decades to bring a little recognition to this deep and disturbing aspect of American hatred toward racial minorities. I'm just not woke enough to really feel her pain and the righteous pain of of an oppressed nation that she so heroically defends.

"Missing White Woman Syndrome."

Joy does have a point here. I mean both sides of the media does this, but FOX is notorious for this. It's been on front and center on their website for days now. I bet if you turn on Fox News now, they will be covering it. It's the "help the pretty blonde girl be found" news reporting. As Joy said, the media ignores people of color.

Not to be outdone by 24/7 coverage of a murdered black man for the bulk of 2020.

Tangent? Isn't that the whole point of this discussion? Reid was discussing "missing white woman syndrome" which, itself, is entirely going off on a tangent from the Petito coverage.

There was lots of coverage of the disappearance and murder of Vanessa Guillen last year.

Coverage tends to be spurred by the parents and other loved ones reaching out to the media. That doesn't always happen and it especially doesn't happen when the missing person is known or suspected to be involved in activities they family might want to be made public.

Think about stuff like mental health problems, criminal activity, tendency toward risky behaviors and such. A lot of families don't want that kind of information made public so they don't make a media push to get the word out.
All the coverage of black victims, without the payday for the family.

Yesterday, we averaged over the last week more than one COVID death PER MINUTE.

Excuse me if I don't hyperfocus on one single murder. Joy Reid is exactly right.
And imagine how many of those deaths could be traced back directly to a right wing TV or radio host spewing lies and bad information about vaccines. If that were possible, I'd bet the numbers would be in the thousands.

Just last night a young brother and sister were interviewed about their fathers death. The sister relegated responsibility to Tucker. The brother agreed. Dad was always watching and believing what Tucker was telling him. He has left his kids without a father because of Tucker and Fox Fake News.

Not to be outdone by 24/7 coverage of a murdered black man for the bulk of 2020.
I guess that's progress. You at least agree he was murdered. Now tell everyone by whom he was murdered. That was news.

All the coverage of black victims, without the payday for the family.
Right. There are lots of missing people every year and very little coverage in comparison because, among other things, a lot of families don't want to push the issue for a lot of different reasons.

Joy does have a point here. I mean both sides of the media does this, but FOX is notorious for this. It's been on front and center on their website for days now. I bet if you turn on Fox News now, they will be covering it. It's the "help the pretty blonde girl be found" news reporting. As Joy said, the media ignores people of color.

I said the same thing a few days ago.

A white chick goes missing and she gets all the press.

1. Yes, the obsessive coverage on local and national TV stations (not to mention cable outlets, such as my favorite FOX) is excessive and almost comical.

2. Yes, although I would never lower myself by watching MSNBC, it is accurate to say that those outlets would never give this much coverage to a missing or murdered lady of color.

3. I do not fault the TV stations for their coverage, however.
a. The United States of America has traditionally been a Caucasian-majority nation.
b. It is only natural that a beautiful young Caucasian lady who has been missing and now has been found dead would interest a lot of Caucasian viewers.
There is nothing sinister about such coverage, which is presumably good for ratings.
c. Now people want to know: Where is her boyfriend? It is simply a good story.

4. The TV stations do not give the same coverage to missing ladies of color because not enough viewers are that interested in such cases.

a. Ladies of color are (currently) members of minority groups.
b. The majority ethnicity is naturally interested in missing ladies of their own ethnicity.
c. In the coming decades when two certain ethnicities become the overwhelming majority, presumably the TV stations will give excessive coverage to missing ladies of those two ethnicities.

5. Ms. R., I hear, is a rabblerouser, like that notorious reverend on the same channel. Some people, of course, like to watch, for she ratifies their agenda. I like to think that most people would never dignify her remarks by ever watching her show.
Confession good for the soul?

A white woman that vanishes on a trip with her fiance where he has returned home nearly 10 days before she is even reported missing...is...unusual.

Black people getting gunned down in the street 36 times a day...meh...whats the big ****ing deal.

Black lives DO NOT MATTER. We have covered this plenty of times. Leftists dont give a **** about black lives. Hell, black Americans dont give a **** about black lives. How the hell is a random black life going to matter when a 6 year old black child gets gunned down in the street and the idiot left starts shrieking about the NRA and gun control? They are just props. Tools. They dont matter.

A white woman that vanishes on a trip with her fiance where he has returned home nearly 10 days before she is even reported missing...is...unusual.

Black people getting gunned down in the street 36 times a day...meh...whats the big ****ing deal.

Black lives DO NOT MATTER. We have covered this plenty of times. Leftists dont give a **** about black lives. Hell, black Americans dont give a **** about black lives. How the hell is a random black life going to matter when a 6 year old black child gets gunned down in the street and the idiot left starts shrieking about the NRA and gun control? They are just props. Tools. They dont matter.
A8A09D6E-46FB-47A0-B5AA-3510032A3CE3.jpeg

For once, she’s right

Leftists dont give a **** about black lives. Hell, black Americans dont give a **** about black lives. How
I think that both groups DO care about those lives.

BUT they realize that the situation is intractable.

So they have decided to ignore the situation and stick to the same old same old: It's the cops' fault; it's the teachers' fault; reparations will help; job quotas will help; CRT will help; a guaranteed income will help, blah blah blah.

She does.

Remember the circus over that kid that was in baby beauty pageants that tabloid press, and Fox made such a big deal.

Reid’s point, was obvious. Had these people been black, no one would be talking about it. That’s reality, whether you want to deny it or not.

But that has nothing to do with the anguish of the family (although that can hardly be helped by the constant badgering of the press).

No matter what color the people are, it’s a tragedy.

Joy Reid is a race hustler. Just one of 3 at MSNBC.
However, she does have a point.

BS. So there is a major story about a missing white woman on FOX. The liberals and Joy Reid are unhappy. WELL! FOX is also reporting on the massive violence and rising murder rate in black neighborhoods and particularly among young black children every day. This story about the violence that is claiming the lives of children is almost totally ignored by Joy Reid and others in the left wing media, like say, Don Lemon. Why? Well because it's happening largely in black/brown neighborhoods run by black leaders in democrat run cities.
The point is the media doesn't care much about missing black women.

You never see this kind of attention from the national news when the victim is black.

The point is the media doesn't care much about missing black women.

You never see this kind of attention from the national news when the victim is black.
There's a reason for that. If the media focused this much attention on a missing black woman there would be a good possibility that at some point they'd also have to focus on a black man that committed the abduction and we just can't have that kind of thing make national headlines. Find a black woman that gets abducted and/or murdered by a white guy and we'll get plenty of coverage.

And its 100% true and irrefutable, but how much you want to bet there are multiple white nationalist dismissing this, and worse, calling Joy racist for mentioning it?

Oh look, very first post LOL

wow! so many conservatives/"libertarians" are getting soooo worked up over this story.
hummm

Are you surprised? They are so predictable in their idiocy and their constant need to troll liberals. Sick sick people

Just look at the border! Black people living in squalor and disease. Children in dirt. Not. One. Word. From Madame Reid.
But white men riding horses Western style, with split reins, which they were using correctly (and their horses were magnificently trained), and we have to have a 9/11-style commission.
Black people stopped from illegally breaching our border, by horses and everyone got wet. Outrage. Disease rampaging through a filthy camp and...crickets.

Yeah, Black LIVES Matter....was all about 1 person. That is beyond being a myopic comment, compounded by the fact that it concerned government officials engaging in discriminatory homicide for decades. Why would we expect your comments to contain any sort acceptance of the bias news sources have for missing white girls at the hands of their white BF. Good thing he wasn't black, or we might have had another Tulsa.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom