• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSNBC tops Fox News in ratings for first time in 17 years

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Wow. I knew Maddow was raking in the numbers but those other guys are holding their own. Is the news businesses dominated by a mean mean world dominated by right wing hate? Well maybe not so much now. It's good to have a little competition. *cough* free market *cough*

MSNBC Prime (M-F 8-11pm) Continues to Lead Both FOX News and CNN in Total Viewers and A25-54 for the 4th Straight Week

“The Rachel Maddow Show” is the #1 Cable News Program in Total Viewers and A25-54 for the Week

“The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” and “The 11th Hour with Brian Williams” Are #1 in Both Total Viewers and A25-54 for the Week

“MSNBC Live with Ali Velshi,” “Deadline: White House” and “Hardball with Chris Matthews” Are #1 in Total Viewers

MSNBC IS THE #1 CABLE NEWS NETWORK FOR WEEK OF DEC. 17, BEATING FOX NEWS FOR 1ST TIME IN 17 YEARS

Government Shutdown Coverage Pushes MSNBC To Big Win Over Fox News

Trump has been a godsend for MSNBC and has made Maddow a superstar. That is the only good thing you can credit him with.

Is that impressive, especially considering Fox is really the big mainstream source for right wing nuttery, whereas MSNBC and CNN are both alternatives to that and compete for "non-crazy" viewers?

In dabbling in all three networks, I find MSNBC's guests/contributors to be first rate, and their hosts over all good and some of them even-handed. I'm usually embarssed for the human race when I watch most Fox shows. CNN seems like a facade , people who kind of look like news people (wolf, don, cooper), but don't to me, have any big compelling qualities as hosts...and all together seem more like actors than MSNBC's more professional seeming line-up.

I'm surprised Ari isn't #1, he's got a great show, and has broken a number of things this year. Chris Matthews kind of bores me, and he interrupts guests too much, maybe he's for an older generation that knew him from days gone by.
Lawrence is by far the most partisan, but as wicked as his commentary is, it's usually pretty hard to disagree with..although I generally only watch the first 10-15 minutes if at all.

Maddow's show is such a different kind of show, I really don't see anything like it elsewhere. It can get tedious at times, especially with Trump redux (the way bits unfold a month later...and then again in another month, causing a lot of re-hashing), but she also pulls in those great MSNBC contributors/guests and rounds it out. I do tape that and fast-forward if it gets slow.

Wow. I knew Maddow was raking in the numbers but those other guys are holding their own. Is the news businesses dominated by a mean mean world dominated by right wing hate? Well maybe not so much now. It's good to have a little competition. *cough* free market *cough*

MSNBC IS THE #1 CABLE NEWS NETWORK FOR WEEK OF DEC. 17, BEATING FOX NEWS FOR 1ST TIME IN 17 YEARS

It just goes to show how weak the other bash Trump networks are, making them the tallest midget.

Trump has been a godsend for MSNBC and has made Maddow a superstar. That is the only good thing you can credit him with.

Fox News has been cautiously testing the waters by opposing Trump on some issues, and the result was predictable.
The moment they stopped kow-towing to him one hundred percent, viewers started writing and calling in, promising that they were done with the network.

I said many times that Fox might be forced to move more to the center or center-Right in the next few years. Had Sinclair won their proposed 73% market penetration with the acquisition of a hundred or so Tribune stations, they most likely would have started up their own Sinclair Cable News Network and they would have OBLITERATED the Fox News dominance of right wing viewership in a hot second.

But that's not the only force at work on the Murdoch empire. His kids, who are exercising more and more control of the family business, are not Trump fans. They're not liberals by any stretch but they are not on the same page as the elder Murdoch, and even the old man has begun to sour on the Orange Man Baby.
Thus the Murdoch family has been expecting the minor glitch in Fox's ratings. There was nowhere else to go.

It is going to be a very interesting next few months.

I think Maddow is a bit too snarky and quirky for my tastes but her reporting, and the research her crews put in to her reports are impressive. She is a wingnut's nightmare. You can try to argue with her but you'd be wrong. She's got her facts/ducks in a row.

Now, if she would devote as much of her time turning over rocks and exposing the light on leftwing/democrat shenanagans, as she does busting conservative balls, she might present an ounce of objectivity and improve her integrity standings. But I don't see that happening.

Chris Matthews, to me, looks like he drools when he speaks. Freaks me out.

Lawrence O'Donnell, I just don't like that guy. I've seen some un-edited footage of him and he was one, total, arrogant, snobby, spoiled, asshole. So, I don't watch him. He might be great. I dunno. Don't like dude. Don't watch.

But FOXNews made their bed. They choose their path. It surprises me none if their ratings are being surpassed. They have zero credibility with me. Nor should they.

But MSNBC, although more accurate, is still as biased as FOXNews, IMO.

So, meh. Screw 'em both.

Midget is not PC.

Agreed, but we have to come up with a better term than “little people”. Because there are little people and there are little people. WAY too vague.

Fox News has been cautiously testing the waters by opposing Trump on some issues, and the result was predictable.
The moment they stopped kow-towing to him one hundred percent, viewers started writing and calling in, promising that they were done with the network.

I said many times that Fox might be forced to move more to the center or center-Right in the next few years. Had Sinclair won their proposed 73% market penetration with the acquisition of a hundred or so Tribune stations, they most likely would have started up their own Sinclair Cable News Network and they would have OBLITERATED the Fox News dominance of right wing viewership in a hot second.

But that's not the only force at work on the Murdoch empire. His kids, who are exercising more and more control of the family business, are not Trump fans. They're not liberals by any stretch but they are not on the same page as the elder Murdoch, and even the old man has begun to sour on the Orange Man Baby.
Thus the Murdoch family has been expecting the minor glitch in Fox's ratings. There was nowhere else to go.

Maybe, but its more likely straight news got a memno to play it down the middle. Opinion can do what it wants. There is also a movement in social media to en masse threaten advertisers to get them to drop them.

Liberty Mutual did that on Laura Ingraham. However, rather than make a rash move I started shopping around. I saved $370 per six months (250/500) through Costco. I was fat, dumb and happy until that. Homeowners, not so much. WTF?

I am against companies getting intimidated into being agents of the “Resist” movement by those waging economic war on opinions they won’t tolerate.

Agreed, but we have to come up with a better term than “little people”. Because there are little people and there are little people. WAY too vague.

Comparing them to children is not PC.

Is that impressive, especially considering Fox is really the big mainstream source for right wing nuttery, whereas MSNBC and CNN are both alternatives to that and compete for "non-crazy" viewers?

In dabbling in all three networks, I find MSNBC's guests/contributors to be first rate, and their hosts over all good and some of them even-handed. I'm usually embarssed for the human race when I watch most Fox shows. CNN seems like a facade , people who kind of look like news people (wolf, don, cooper), but don't to me, have any big compelling qualities as hosts...and all together seem more like actors than MSNBC's more professional seeming line-up.

I'm surprised Ari isn't #1, he's got a great show, and has broken a number of things this year. Chris Matthews kind of bores me, and he interrupts guests too much, maybe he's for an older generation that knew him from days gone by.
Lawrence is by far the most partisan, but as wicked as his commentary is, it's usually pretty hard to disagree with..although I generally only watch the first 10-15 minutes if at all.

Maddow's show is such a different kind of show, I really don't see anything like it elsewhere. It can get tedious at times, especially with Trump redux (the way bits unfold a month later...and then again in another month, causing a lot of re-hashing), but she also pulls in those great MSNBC contributors/guests and rounds it out. I do tape that and fast-forward if it gets slow.

Ari and Chris Cuomo are my go to guys, but Cuomo butters up the both sides issue way too much. I watch Don Lemon when I want to watch someone yell at Trump. Lawrence does well during election time as does John King/Wolf and w/e panels CNN has on at the time. I don't watch Maddow. Never like her and find nothing appealing about her.

I watch Hannity/Tucker when I want to see someone freak out.

Do/did you watch Succession TV show???

It's funny to see the people who love to accuse those they disagree with of being "snowflakes" and "triggered" act like complete ******s when their worldview is challenged in any way.

Dominated by right-wing hate...
Even though it's the left that's been pushing violence and harassment of the right for a long while now?

Because it's been a very long time since I've seen anyone on the political right, outright defend right-wing terrorism.

Even though MSNBC and CNN both, have reporters that have almost routinely been caught lying through their teeth?

I can admit that even the likes of FoXnews has been caught as well. Though I'm not going to pretend that either of them any better.

Dominated by right-wing hate...
Even though it's the left that's been pushing violence and harassment of the right for a long while now?

Because it's been a very long time since I've seen anyone on the political right, outright defend right-wing terrorism.

funny how you took off right wing harassment.

Ari and Chris Cuomo are my go to guys, but Cuomo butters up the both sides issue way too much. I watch Don Lemon when I want to watch someone yell at Trump. Lawrence does well during election time as does John King/Wolf and w/e panels CNN has on at the time. I don't watch Maddow. Never like her and find nothing appealing about her.

I watch Hannity/Tucker when I want to see someone freak out.

That's right, I forgot about Cuomo. He's fairly entertaining and has some chops.

I use to check in on Hannity/Tucker to be sure that the "right wing media" machine was still bat-**** crazy. A false sense of security. It actually elected a president, a president who basically does what they push him,and their viewers to do/say. It's not a lot more depressing to see it.

funny how you took off right wing harassment.

Then cite it for me and we can both stand against it.
But you remaining willfully ignorant of what has been transpiring over the last few years is going to change how this whole **** shows been progressing.

The majoriyt of the hate, has been coming from the left and ignoring that isn't helping.

That's right, I forgot about Cuomo. He's fairly entertaining and has some chops.

I use to check in on Hannity/Tucker to be sure that the "right wing media" machine was still bat-**** crazy. A false sense of security. It actually elected a president, a president who basically does what they push him,and their viewers to do/say. It's not a lot more depressing to see it.

I listen to Chris Cuomo in the car on Sirius. He's great.

It just goes to show how weak the other bash Trump networks are, making them the tallest midget.

Think hard on this one:

Why has Fox been consistently ahead of the other cable news networks in ratings? Because Fox was catering to one side, while the other has CNN, MSNBC, and the regular networks. So the other side has to dilute itself amongst several competitors.

The fact that one singular left-leaning cable news has beat the only right-leaning alternative is big news.

Be afraid. Be somewhat afraid.

Then cite it for me and we can both stand against it.
But you remaining willfully ignorant of what has been transpiring over the last few years is going to change how this whole **** shows been progressing.

The majoriyt of the hate, has been coming from the left and ignoring that isn't helping.

You seem to forget that each of the Fox News prime-time lineup has either been fired, resigned, or shamed off the air over the past five years. All that remains of their original line up is right-wing blowhard and Trump obsessed loser Hannity. Tucker's stint seems short while Hannity is likely going to get in trouble with federal authorities in the not too distant future. This seems to me that the Fox News brand and not necessarily whoever is hosting the show matters more to viewers.

Back
Top Bottom