• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSNBC Forced to Abandon ObamaCare Exchange Demonstration

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

when even MSNBC cant spin it to make Obama care look good you know its a train wreck

the funny thing about this who dam thing republicans spent a week trying to shut Obama care down with no luck and all they had to do is let the train wreck shut down all by its self

and we have this tweet from Obama to make it even more hilarious

Barack Obama

"The Affordable Care Act is moving forward. You can't shut it down." —President Obama #Obamacare

Last edited:
This thread could have been titled either:

ObamaCare launched

or....

ROG0Z852

Too many people are trying to use it.

This is what happens.

I'm trying to get on Grand Theft Auto Online right now, been trying all morning... but I can't because too many people are trying to use it.

I guess Rockstar should be shut down and the game removed from shelves because TOO MANY PEOPLE BOUGHT IT... :lamo

Well done guys.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Apparently most, if not all people cannot get past the security questions, which don't show. It can take several minutes of waiting just to get the login area loaded and then when you get through a couple pages of entries to the security questions, you're stuck with nowhere to go because you can't get the security questions and you can't go forward without them.

This is an epic failure in a software launch and the managers of this project should all be fired. I worked in IS/IT for years and there's no way something like this could have happened in our corporation without everyone overseeing the project getting terminated for such an abject embarrassment of incompetence.

While that might be the excuse they try to use, that's not what caused this. You get in a queue to get to the login site, so they're handling the traffic (badly but they're handling it). The problem is that their design is failing because the simple html dropdown of security questions is failing. This is basic stuff.

This is what happens.

I'm trying to get on Grand Theft Auto Online right now, been trying all morning... but I can't because too many people are trying to use it.

I guess Rockstar should be shut down and the game removed from shelves because TOO MANY PEOPLE BOUGHT IT... :lamo

Well done guys.

Thanks for the chuckle.

GTA has a hell of a lot more coding then some amateur web site to sign up to buy 1 product. Amozon.com transacts hundreds of thousand of sales a day and sell hundred of thousand different products and they don't shut down.

and by the way GTA doesn't require to be online to load or play

Apparently most, if not all people cannot get past the security questions, which don't show. It can take several minutes of waiting just to get the login area loaded and then when you get through a couple pages of entries to the security questions, you're stuck with nowhere to go because you can't get the security questions and you can't go forward without them.

This is an epic failure in a software launch and the managers of this project should all be fired. I worked in IS/IT for years and there's no way something like this could have happened in our corporation without everyone overseeing the project getting terminated for such an abject embarrassment of incompetence.

While that might be the excuse they try to use, that's not what caused this. You get in a queue to get to the login site, so they're handling the traffic (badly but they're handling it). The problem is that their design is failing because the simple html dropdown of security questions is failing. This is basic stuff.

I don't know about your level of experience but I can say that your analysis is way off. You seem to think that there's a coding issue with the security question simply because *you* can't get past the security questions. If that were true, then *I* would not have been able to get past the security questions either.

But I was. In fact, I was able to setup my account. Obviously, their problem is with too much traffic. Your debugging skills need work

GTA has a hell of a lot more coding then some amateur web site to sign up to buy 1 product. Amozon.com transacts hundreds of thousand of sales a day and sell hundred of thousand different products and they don't shut down.

and by the way GTA doesn't require to be online to load or play

Lots of sites handle huge traffic and have interfaces that work. But you'd expect that from the private sector where competence is required. Their web designer also dabbles in aeronautics.

Prog_Fig3.gif

I don't know about your level of experience but I can say that your analysis is way off. You seem to think that there's a coding issue with the security question simply because *you* can't get past the security questions. If that were true, then *I* would not have been able to get past the security questions either.

But I was. In fact, I was able to setup my account. Obviously, their problem is with too much traffic. Your debugging skills need work

I disagree. If the architecture was intelligently designed, loading the page would have loaded the security questions. There is also the possibility that they have designed different sites for each state and that your ability to get the security questions could have more to do with your state's site not being f***ed up the way my state's site is.

I'll also say that if there was some issue with datbase threads due to the questions being retrieved by a query, then the design is still a problem because there was no error message on the query failure.

There's no excuse for this.

Last edited:
Yes yes, the websites are down. I am not terribly surprised by that. The first day for any new roleout is often a complete mess. I am not terribly shocked the government can do no better than businesses who base their product on such a thing. Ever played a video game vbased on online activity on it's first day, or even the first day of a new update? I remember working at TWC on the first days of their VOD roleout in the NYC area. Yes, it was going to happen, and frankly it actually shows something you should be terrified of. People are rushing to sign up. The call for people to boycott it and take the penalty might not be working. The more people who sign up the better chance it has of working. The website can be fixed, and so can any problems they run into. It seems that the republicans have one last hope that they can defund Obamacare now.

Yes yes, the websites are down. I am not terribly surprised by that. The first day for any new roleout is often a complete mess. I am not terribly shocked the government can do no better than businesses who base their product on such a thing. Ever played a video game vbased on online activity on it's first day, or even the first day of a new update? I remember working at TWC on the first days of their VOD roleout in the NYC area. Yes, it was going to happen, and frankly it actually shows something you should be terrified of. People are rushing to sign up. The call for people to boycott it and take the penalty might not be working. The more people who sign up the better chance it has of working. The website can be fixed, and so can any problems they run into. It seems that the republicans have one last hope that they can defund Obamacare now.

It's showing that the design and programming was incompetent.

Happens all the time with websites and popular online products during opening day. I would probably expect a company like Amazon to be better prepared for something like this, but it is to be expected since the government is not in the business of making perfect websites. You can mock it and pretend like things go perfect everywhere else, but most people have gotten used to this sort of thing. It will be just another failed piece of propaganda later when the website is working properly.

Just for your own reputation we have all seen the videos of people freaking out because their game did not work the day it came out. Sort of like this.

People are rushing to sign up. The call for people to boycott it and take the penalty might not be working.

Or perhaps they are shopping since the amount that one would be paying wasn't delineated in the law.

You mean shopping as to look to purchase something?

they had 3 years and have spent billions you would expect them to be able to get a simple web site to work and no it is not traffic if that was the case the web site wouldn't have loaded there is no questions in the security question drop boxes and that is a site problem that has nothing to do with traffic

We are going to trust these amateurs with or health care and they cant even get a simple web site to work to sell just 1 product and that site wont even tell you if you qualify for a deduction Republicans were right with trying to delay it for a year the dam thing is not ready

they had 3 years and have spent billions you would expect them to be able to get a simple web site to work and no it is not traffic if that was the case the web site wouldn't have loaded there is no questions in the security question drop boxes and that is a site problem that has nothing to do with traffic

We are going to trust these amateurs with or health care and they cant even get a simple web site to work to sell just 1 product and that site wont even tell you if you qualify for a deduction Republicans were right with trying to delay it for a year the dam thing is not ready
The problems they are having is due to the massive traffic, you don't know what the HELL you're talking about.

I disagree. If the architecture was intelligently designed, loading the page would have loaded the security questions. There is also the possibility that they have designed different sites for each state and that your ability to get the security questions could have more to do with your state's site not being f***ed up the way my state's site is.

In which case, it's the states problem, not the feds.

And no matter how well designed the code is, if traffic is too heavy, the page will time out before everything is loaded. Again, the problem is the high load, not the code.

I'll also say that if there was some issue with datbase threads due to the questions being retrieved by a query, then the design is still a problem because there was no error message on the query failure.

There's no excuse for this.

What you're saying makes no sense. Whenever one gets an error, there is an error message. Sometimes, the error is handled by the code, in which case you usually get a message that is easier to understand. If not, you get a system generated error message which is usually incomprehensible to the average end user (and sometimes to programmers too)

I've neither seen nor heard of anything that indicates that their programming (ie code) is at fault. You are failing to distinguish between software and networking issues.

The only thing I see is that your debugging skillz could use improvement.

In which case, it's the states problem, not the feds.

And no matter how well designed the code is, if traffic is too heavy, the page will time out before everything is loaded. Again, the problem is the high load, not the code.

What you're saying makes no sense. Whenever one gets an error, there is an error message. Sometimes, the error is handled by the code, in which case you usually get a message that is easier to understand. If not, you get a system generated error message which is usually incomprehensible to the average end user (and sometimes to programmers too)

You are wrong. There is no error message. There are just questions that never loaded. The page is completely operational and you can input and use all buttons but the questions simply don't exist. That's just plain bad design.

I've neither seen nor heard of anything that indicates that their programming (ie code) is at fault. You are failing to distinguish between software and networking issues.

The only thing I see is that your debugging skillz could use improvement.

If the page loads and is usable even though elements of the page didn't load and even though there is no error message, that is a bug. And it's not a little bug. It's a big, fat, juicy bug.

Yeah, this is normal, even with years to prep. Look at games like WOW. They already have an up and running game, and every time a new expansion comes out it is tested, they try to prepare for opening day, and even now stagger the load and still every time a new release comes out it is a disaster. That is their job, and people keep on playing. Apple just went through the whole opening day thing, and the reality is that opening day is a huge deluge of crap all at once. You can say what you want about preparation, but simply the reality is to be prepared for the opening day rush is to actually piss away money because you will probably never meet that amount of volume again. This is why the penalties will not go into effect until nest year to allow for people to have time to get health coverage and to shop around. Nothing is perfect on it's first day and expectations of it being perfect are just people looking for it to fail. Let us not forget Obamacare has faced a number of people trying to kill it and make it fail. It looks like the best you will do is just make it's start a little problematic. The thing is no one is pulling the plug on it simply because of this and cheer now while you can because it is here and will be here tomorrow.

If the page loads and is usable even though elements of the page didn't load and even though there is no error message, that is a bug. And it's not a little bug. It's a big, fat, juicy bug.

If you think that every query is accompanied by code that checks to see if the query timed out and sends an error msg to the user interface if it did, then your experience was not as thorough as it could have been

You didn't watch the story, did you? I did. The story was to show how the website was crashing and servers were overloaded.

I still can't get it. But I will. I will.

I live in TX.....I have no doubt that others here in the state, if not the state govt itself, are working to prevent Texans from signing on. In this state....the state in the nation with the highest percentage of uninsured people in the country.

If you think that every query is accompanied by code that checks to see if the query timed out and sends an error msg to the user interface if it did, then your experience was not as thorough as it could have been

If you you think it is acceptable that a user interface like that can fail to retrieve those security questions and just keep right on going like nothing happened, then your experience is more thorough in bad practices than it should have been.

Back
Top Bottom