• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSNBC challenges people to show instances of its "fundraising."

Harshaw

Filmmaker ● Lawyer ● Patriot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
And has a taker. Heh.

MSNBC Issues a Challenge. We Accept! | slanders | johnny dollar's place

Phil Griffin: ‘Show me an example of us fund-raising.’ Challenge accepted. With MSNBC Video!

In today’s New York Times, Brian Stelter writes about the use of cable news to raise funds for political candidates:

Fox is drawing attention as a fund-raising platform for Republicans. Last week Mr. Kasich was given time to promote his campaign Web site on “Hannity,” a prime time program on Fox News. Mr. Kasich told viewers, “If you have extra nickels or dimes, please send it our way.”

Here is how that went down:
KASICH: So it is a very central race. And, 11 times, Sean, they're coming after Johnny Kasich for 11 times he's going to be here. It's amazing.
HANNITY: Yes.
KASICH: People can come on our website at KasichforOhio.com. Sunday night at 6:30. We're going to talk about the damage the Obama agenda has done to us. And if you have extra nickels or dimes please send it our way.
HANNITY: Well, I --
KASICH: KasichforOhio.com.
HANNITY: I want to put this -- put some emphasis on this because this is really important. Explain to people why -- we cannot afford to lose that race?

This of course was trumpeted, and condemned, by the usual sources, like Oliver Willis at Media Matters (who pontificated that it was ‘a new low’) and the Daily Kos. In the face of all this, MSNBC sought to take advantage of an opportunity. As Mr Stelter reported:
Phil Griffin, the president of MSNBC, and others strenuously object to the idea that Fox and MSNBC are opposite sides of the same coin. “Show me an example of us fund-raising,” he said in a recent interview.

A gauntlet thrown, eh Mr Griffin? Very well, we accept.

Then they go on to catalog numerous instances of like behavior on MSNBC. Read. It's quite amusing.

I do believe it goes much further than just mentioning a campaign website.

Hannity: An RNC fundraiser disguised as a TV show

October 18, 2010 10:42 am ET by Oliver Willis
On last Thursday's Hannity show, host Sean Hannity turned over the reins of the show to Ohio gubernatorial candidate (and former Fox News host) John Kasich. After Kasich promoted his campaign website, Hannity responded: "I want to put this -- put some emphasis on this because this is really important. Explain to people why -- we cannot afford to lose that race?" Baltimore Sun TV critic David Zurawik explains just what's wrong with this:
There isn't a reputable mainstream newspaper in the country that lets its editorial page be used for partisan fund raising. What Hannity allowed Kasich to do on his show Thursday crosses the line as to what's acceptable for any news organization, and we all know it isn't the first Hannity time has done this.
If Fox News management wants mainstream critics to defend the organization's right to be treated like a news organization, it needs to behave like one -- all the time. Hannity's bosses need to publicly put an end to such partisan on-air fund raising now -- not sometime in November after the election.
We've been pointing out for some time now repeated instances of Fox News - who claims to be a "fair and balanced" news organization -- fundraising for the Republican Party and its candidates and repeating GOP talking points on air verbatim. Republican senatorial candidate Christine O'Donnell reportedly recently said that she had Hannity "in my back pocket."

Hannity : An RNC fundraiser disguised as a TV show | Media Matters for America

I do believe it goes much further than just mentioning a campaign website.

Pete, do you ever bother to read anything? I'm getting pretty sick of having to ask that, because it's usually apparent that everything goes right over your head.

Exactly what went down -- even according to the clip posted by the source where you get 95% of your information -- is in my OP. Then, they found very similar activity on numerous occasions on MSNBC. I'm betting you didn't click my link and read the examples.

I know it doesn't fit your "Fox News is EVIL and MSNBC is AWESOME!!!!!!!" worldview, but there it is nonetheless.

Pete, do you ever bother to read anything? I'm getting pretty sick of having to ask that, because it's usually apparent that everything goes right over your head.

Exactly what went down -- even according to the clip posted by the source where you get 95% of your information -- is in my OP. Then, they found very similar activity on numerous occasions on MSNBC. I'm betting you didn't click my link and read the examples.

I know it doesn't fit your "Fox News is EVIL and MSNBC is AWESOME!!!!!!!" worldview, but there it is nonetheless.

You did what you criticize me for, you didn't respond to what I wrote, which I think shows that I did click on the link and read the examples. I don't know what Phil Griffin was speaking about, but it's clear that Hannity went beyond the line. Amazingly the following link (as well as the MM link I posted above) was found at your link:

Z on TV: Hannity, Fox cross line with on-air GOP fund raising - TV show critic David Zurawik on the show business, culture and craziness of television - baltimoresun.com

How many people who regularly appear on Fox may be a candidate for President in 2012? Huckabee, Gingrich, Palin ... there must be more.

Yes, in fact I did respond to what you wrote.

And if you had read the link and understood it, you'd know exactly what Phil Griffin was speaking about.

Yes, in fact I did respond to what you wrote.

And if you had read the link and understood it, you'd know exactly what Phil Griffin was speaking about.

Really? He said out of the blue ‘Show me an example of us fund-raising’ and said nothing either before or after that statement to qualify what he said. Johnny Dollar implies there is a video of him saying it, however there none. It looks like he is stroking you guys.

Really? He said out of the blue ‘Show me an example of us fund-raising’ and said nothing either before or after that statement to qualify what he said. Johnny Dollar implies there is a video of him saying it, however there none. It looks like he is stroking you guys.

It wasn't "out of the blue."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/us/politics/24cable.html?_r=1

No idea what the "MSNBC video" thing is about, but if that's what you're going to dwell on, then so be it.

Okay, I should have said it appears to be taken out of context.

Why? Because it's more convenient for you that way? There's no reason to think so.

Where is the transcript of what he said that includes the comment?

Ask the NYT.

I think Johnny Dollar should have asked the NYT before making his deceptive post.

I think you haven't come within ten light years of showing that his post is deceptive. :roll:

Your apparent "reasoning": he was taken out of context! How do I know? Because this post is deceptive! Why is it deceptive? Because he was taken out of context!

Was Schultz or a producer supposed to cut the mike on Jack Conway? Seriously, this isn't fundraising.

Of course it isn't. Because if it were, then MSNBC would be as bad as Fox News. So it couldn't possibly be.

:roll:

You did what you criticize me for, you didn't respond to what I wrote, which I think shows that I did click on the link and read the examples. I don't know what Phil Griffin was speaking about, but it's clear that Hannity went beyond the line. Amazingly the following link (as well as the MM link I posted above) was found at your link:

Z on TV: Hannity, Fox cross line with on-air GOP fund raising - TV show critic David Zurawik on the show business, culture and craziness of television - baltimoresun.com

How many people who regularly appear on Fox may be a candidate for President in 2012? Huckabee, Gingrich, Palin ... there must be more.

You need to get out of the bubble and see things more clearly.

Of course it isn't. Because if it were, then MSNBC would be as bad as Fox News. So it couldn't possibly be.

:roll:
Tell me when somebody files a complaint about it.

Those examples exist at Fox. The channel was the subject of an election complaint in Ohio because Mr. Kasich was able to ask for money and display his Web site address during an interview in August on “The O’Reilly Factor,” Fox’s biggest prime time talk show. Mr. Kasich used to host a weekend show on Fox, and Mr. Murdoch has called him a friend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/us/politics/24cable.html

To paraphrase...

If MSNBC fund-raises during a broadcast, and no one files a complaint, is it still wrong?

Pretty sure the answer is yes.

When a man's grasping at straws, it's kind of rude to kick them away.

Or maybe it's not. Not sure. :peace

To paraphrase...

If MSNBC fund-raises during a broadcast, and no one files a complaint, is it still wrong?

Pretty sure the answer is yes.

There is no evidence that MSNBC fund-raises, so your point is moot.

Their fundrasing is done by their support on the air. Their anti-Conservative pro-Progressive propoganda is worth millions especially in an election year. CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, then add the newspapers, weekly magazines --- all toll it's probably worth billions. Then you have Fox News on the other side. Ying / Yang, yet you're still whining about all that support while playing the victim card - way to live up to expectations! :wink:

MSNBC has some of the most partisan ignorant and misleading opinion people on television outside of the Daily Kos. They're agenda is as clear as Fox's without the ratings of Fox.

Z on TV: MSNBC crosses line on fund raising -- just like Fox - TV show critic David Zurawik on the show business, culture and craziness of television - baltimoresun.com
SCHULTZ: And finally tonight, the Kentucky State Senate race, well, it‘s neck and neck. Tea Party nut job Rand Paul could actually be a senator, a poll just out shows Rand Paul and democratic opponent Jack Conway are deadlocked at 46. Joining me now is Kentucky‘s attorney general and State Democratic nominee for Senate, Mr. Conway. What do you make of the poll? Good to have you with us tonight.

JACK CONWAY (D), KENTUCKY SENATE NOMINEE: Well, it‘s good to be with you this evening. Look, the race is a dead heat. And I‘m focused on putting Kentucky first and I‘m here fighting a bunch of special interest money that‘s coming through Karl Rove‘s American crossroads group. Then we had a great internet fund-raising bomb yesterday that raised about $300,000. So, if your viewers want to help us, they can go to Conwayfightfunds.com and help us fight back some of this Karl Rove money.
This is EXACTLY what happened on Hannity. If What happend on Hannity is called fund-rasing, then so is this. Period. End of story. No spin possible.

Z on TV: MSNBC crosses line on fund raising -- just like Fox - TV show critic David Zurawik on the show business, culture and craziness of television - baltimoresun.com

This is EXACTLY what happened on Hannity. If What happend on Hannity is called fund-rasing, then so is this. Period. End of story. No spin possible.

Ouchie. I guess the point isn't moot after all eh?

spank.gif

Back
Top Bottom