• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSM New Year's Resolutions

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Thanks to recent attacks on journalists. America has been named one of the most dangerous places to be a journalist recently. It was nice to see the journalists ring in a new year by dropping the ball last night. Yes, we all can agree that the media has a lot of problems in this country. Here are some ideas on what it should do this year. These are pretty reasonable suggestions:

• More analysis of past failures of public figures/politicians before we as society prop them up
  • call lies lies
  • stop putting habitual liars who have signed Trump NDAs on TV
  • stop giving equal time to racists, white supremacists, climate deniers to get "the other side" of the story
  • stop pretending to care about diversity and inclusion if you’re not going to track and work to improve numbers.
  • Real-live fact-checking while the President is speaking (also call him out more to his face)
  • Deep dives into the background of ALL political candidates.
  • Don't let politicians and talking heads dictate the content.
  • If you ask a question and they didn't answer the question, keep asking them the same question until they do
  • Balance the Trump nonsense and don't fall for shiny distractions put out by the WH.
  • Give victims ample air-time in sexual assault investigations (If they are brave enough to go on)
  • Don't show Trump rallies

Last edited:
You forgot one
Act like they have some damn sense

Thanks to recent attacks on journalists. America has been named one of the most dangerous places to be a journalist recently. It was nice to see the journalists ring in a new year by dropping the ball last night. Yes, we all can agree that the media has a lot of problems in this country. Here are some ideas on what it should do this year. These are pretty reasonable suggestions:

• More analysis of past failures of public figures/politicians before we as society prop them up
  • call lies lies
  • stop giving equal time to racists, white supremacists, climate deniers to get "the other side" of the story
  • stop pretending to care about diversity and inclusion if you’re not going to track and work to improve numbers.
  • Real-live fact-checking while the President is speaking (also call him out more to his face)
  • If you ask a question and they didn't answer the question, keep asking them the same question until they do
  • Balance the Trump nonsense and don't fall for shiny distractions put out by the WH.
  • Give victims ample air-time in sexual assault investigations (If they are brave enough to go on)

"recent attacks on journalists"??? What attacks?

Oh...wait...are you counting the attacks on right wing journalists by the left?

[*]More analysis of past failures of public figures/politicians before we as society prop them up

How about just reporting the facts instead of opinions?

[*]call lies lies

Who gets to determine what is and isn't a lie? When Trump gave the figures for the areas that had walls on the reduction of illegals coming through those areas the liberal media ignored it and still say that a wall is completely useless. He gave facts, yet they still say a wall is useless? Who's the ones lying there?

[*]stop putting habitual liars who have signed Trump NDAs on TV

Just those who have signed Trumps NDA's?

[*]stop giving equal time to racists, white supremacists, climate deniers to get "the other side" of the story

So, no opposing viewpoints allowed huh?

[*]stop pretending to care about diversity and inclusion if you’re not going to track and work to improve numbers.

For everyone right? Not just X groups?

[*]Real-live fact-checking while the President is speaking (also call him out more to his face)

As long as its actual fact checking I have no problem with this. WaPo's "fact checking" leaves much to be desired if that's the kind of "fact checking" that you're talking about though.

[*]Deep dives into the background of ALL political candidates.

I can agree with this. As long as its done equally for ALL candidates and they don't half ass it for their preferred candidate.

[*]Don't let politicians and talking heads dictate the content.

News is not supposed to dictate content. News is supposed to provide content. There is a difference.

[*]If you ask a question and they didn't answer the question, keep asking them the same question until they do

So if someone doesn't answer a question the way that you like continue to badger them? No.

[*]Balance the Trump nonsense and don't fall for shiny distractions put out by the WH.

How about just balancing ALL news and not just take aim at someone YOU dislike?

[*]Give victims ample air-time in sexual assault investigations (If they are brave enough to go on)

I would actually like it if they gave them LESS air-time. Why? Because by putting them on the air you are spoiling potential jury pools. Trials should be done with minimum interference. That means having the least biased jury possible. Hard to have when people make up their mind before a jury is even picked due to media spin.

Now...if you mean give them more air-time AFTER a trial has been conducted then I'm all for that. But before then? No thanks.

[*]Don't show Trump rallies

Sure...as long as they don't show any other politicians rallies. :shrug:

Looks to me like what you want is a media that is even more partisan and biased than what we currently have. And that is saying something. All in all, no thanks.

• call lies lies

Thankfully, you're in no position to make the rules IRL because you're about as authoritarian as they come.

My #1 goal for 2019 is to maximize the quality of each day. I dont have that many good years remaining, I am nearing the end of the game, I am all in..... no holding back.

MSM should decide to get back to journalism, with particular attention paid to rediscovering how to find the truth and then report the truth to the people.

THE MOLDING BRAINS TOWARDS UTOPIA project has to be over.

Last edited:
"recent attacks on journalists"??? What attacks?
Oh...wait...are you counting the attacks on right wing journalists by the left?

Which credible journalists are routinely attacked by "the left"?

Which credible journalists are routinely attacked by "the left"?

I didn't say anything about "credible" and neither did the OP. In any case, that's a judgement call that I'll leave up to you.

I didn't say anything about "credible" and neither did the OP. In any case, that's a judgement call that I'll leave up to you.

OK, so which journalists?

• call lies lies

Interesting list and there is some merit to your suggestions.

I also want a closer in depth look at all political candidates, but I think even if they do that, the country is so partisan and polarized that it doesn't matter. Trump showed us that.

Back
Top Bottom