• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mrs. Obama Calls Foe "Walking Buses"

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
First Lady Michelle Obama praised the use of “walking school buses” in speaking about her “Let’s Move” fitness campaign last week, raising the question: What exactly is a “walking school bus”? Speaking with mayors and local officials involved in town, city, and county “Let’s Move” campaigns, she remarked: And in Knox County, Tennessee, they’ve worked with the city of Knoxville to create a bike and share program for the kids in that community. They’ve printed new maps that promote dozens of miles of wonderful bike trails and routes, and they’ve created a walking school bus — and I’ve heard more and more of this kind of walking school bus happening all over the country — so that kids can get exercise on the way to school, kind of like we did when we were growing up. You remember the miles of walking you did with a sweet potato in your pocket? (Laughter.) We all heard that story. My mother repeated it just yesterday. (Laughter.)**************************************************Hey Michelle, Fred Flinstone thought of this millions of years ago.

First Lady Michelle Obama praised the use of “walking school buses” in speaking about her “Let’s Move” fitness campaign last week, raising the question: What exactly is a “walking school bus”? Speaking with mayors and local officials involved in town, city, and county “Let’s Move” campaigns, she remarked: And in Knox County, Tennessee, they’ve worked with the city of Knoxville to create a bike and share program for the kids in that community. They’ve printed new maps that promote dozens of miles of wonderful bike trails and routes, and they’ve created a walking school bus — and I’ve heard more and more of this kind of walking school bus happening all over the country — so that kids can get exercise on the way to school, kind of like we did when we were growing up. You remember the miles of walking you did with a sweet potato in your pocket? (Laughter.) We all heard that story. My mother repeated it just yesterday. (Laughter.)**************************************************Hey Michelle, Fred Flinstone thought of this millions of years ago.

My God, kids getting exercise! What unamerican evil will she come up with next?

A" walking school bus " is adults walking with children to school. I guess the reality is it's not safe for children to walk to school without some adult protection. A sign of the times.

So your problem with this is Michelle Obama mentioned it? Not sure what the problem is here with her mentioning this.

My son's school does something similar. They have a long rope with loop handles on them. They put a teacher at each end, and the kids have to hold onto their handle and they just walk around the neighborhood. In addition to the exercise, it teaches them how to only cross at intersections, how to use the walk lights, understand traffic patterns, how to stay/participate with the group, discipline, etc.

I think that's an excellent!!! idea!!!

The City of Chicago needs to implement this program for the Fall!!!!!! With all the under-utilized schools being closed, kids are having to walk further. But the end result is that kids will get better and more resources. The huge argument being made is that these kids will have to walk through bad neighborhoods (their own) for a longer distance. What a GREAT solution!!!

Walking School Bus

While I may disagree with some other things the First Lady has said or attempted to do, this one get a Bravo!!

Exercise is a great idea for kids! I do wish enough folks would be able to support their families on one wage so the partner can be the one to walk the kids to school.

While I may disagree with some other things the First Lady has said or attempted to do, this one get a Bravo!!

Exercise is a great idea for kids! I do wish enough folks would be able to support their families on one wage so the partner can be the one to walk the kids to school.

What other things do you disagree with? Seems like her First Lady Pet Issue is childhood obesity. Like most first ladies, it's pretty much a universal "feel good" issue.

If parents would make their kids turn off the tv and video games, they probably would get plenty of excercise. Worked for me.

If parents would make their kids turn off the tv and video games, they probably would get plenty of excercise. Worked for me.

Or eat healthier. Or eat less. Or join the track team. Or work in a coal mine. Or any number of other things that clearly aren't being done in a manner to curb childhood obesity. If people stopped smoking, there would be less lung cancer also.

But none of those things have been happening enough. So people are trying to push that sort of thing harder, including Michelle Obama.

Or eat healthier. Or eat less. Or join the track team. Or work in a coal mine. Or any number of other things that clearly aren't being done in a manner to curb childhood obesity. If people stopped smoking, there would be less lung cancer also.

But none of those things have been happening enough. So people are trying to push that sort of thing harder, including Michelle Obama.

She takes it to a different level though, she pushes for schools to force healthy eating. I didn't eat "healthy" as a child but I was active. Activity is key, and it is up to the parents to make sure the kids get activity and don't just veg out on the couch every day.

She takes it to a different level though, she pushes for schools to force healthy eating.
Wrong. She pushes for schools to have healthy alternatives. Sometimes there literally isn't a healthy choice on the menu at school.

I didn't eat "healthy" as a child but I was active. Activity is key, and it is up to the parents to make sure the kids get activity and don't just veg out on the couch every day.

Yes, and it would be wonderful if more parents did that. Maybe these sorts of programs should be aimed more at encouraging the parents than the children! Children, after all, generally can't be expected to make rational decisions based on their long-term self-interest.

Lovely idea, for congested areas where kids can walk, of course, it doesn't take into account most of rural America, but the city folk always ignore rural America.

But how do they propose to get parents involved to walk the kids, when it is next to impossible to get the parents involved WRT their kids schools? And when most of the parents are fatter and far more out of shape than the kids?

I'm pretty sure Michelles children aren't walking to school. When they start, then maybe she has some credibility on the issue.

OKAAAY!!?!?!?! And the problem being????...

Besides....I hope you realize Fred Flinstone was a cartoon character in a Cartoon show and not a biographical study of ancient men during the stone age. He wan't real and he did not live a million years ago... No Humans did.

Diving Mullah

Two comments I'd make on this:

1. Sounds like the NEA and other teachers' groups making sure teachers aren't responsible for providing a little physical education break for the kids each day. When I was in school, every classroom teacher did phys.ed. with the kids at least 3 times a week. Now, the teachers are too busy doing things outside the classroom and away from the students to break into a sweat.

2. I can just see the lawsuits on the way for little Johnnie or Jill who was biking to school and got kidnapped or molested on the bike trail. Many parents put their kids on a school bus for safety reasons, to ensure that their kid gets to school unharmed.

I'm pretty sure Michelles children aren't walking to school. When they start, then maybe she has some credibility on the issue.

Completely ridiculous and you know exactly why that is.

My God, kids getting exercise! What unamerican evil will she come up with next?

Yep, carrying their 25 pounds of books in their backpacks. Good exercise!

I think that's an excellent!!! idea!!!

The City of Chicago needs to implement this program for the Fall!!!!!! With all the under-utilized schools being closed, kids are having to walk further. But the end result is that kids will get better and more resources. The huge argument being made is that these kids will have to walk through bad neighborhoods (their own) for a longer distance. What a GREAT solution!!!

Walking School Bus

Yeah, GREAT idea, more targets for the shooting capital of America!

Excercise is a good idea. So schools are banning recess yet having the kids walk to school. What about rain, lightning, snow, hot and cold temperature limits. The first lady is as smart as her hubby.

A" walking school bus " is adults walking with children to school. I guess the reality is it's not safe for children to walk to school without some adult protection. A sign of the times.

Sounds like a fine idea. Now if the First Lady can just leave it as a suggestion and refrain from calling for laws that force people to do this she can save herself future embarrassment.

Sounds like a fine idea. Now if the First Lady can just leave it as a suggestion and refrain from calling for laws that force people to do this she can save herself future embarrassment.

Since she can't pass any laws I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I don't see her proposing laws, just saying it's a good idea.

Lovely idea, for congested areas where kids can walk, of course, it doesn't take into account most of rural America, but the city folk always ignore rural America.

But how do they propose to get parents involved to walk the kids, when it is next to impossible to get the parents involved WRT their kids schools? And when most of the parents are fatter and far more out of shape than the kids?

Most of the population lives in cities. Don't buy the "We're the real America" crap.

Yeah, it wouldn't work outside of civilized areas. It's not a one size fits all solution.

Back
Top Bottom