• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mrs. Bill Clinton's TV show cancelled

Stace said:
Or wait, here we go.....somehow, the LA Times says that American Idol had 34 million viewers last week, but eh. Commander In Chief had 10 million. Let's see here....My Name Is Earl is a new show this year, they also pulled in about 10 million viewers last week....heck, Smallville is a pretty popular show, and last week's episode was a milestone, and they only got 6 million viewers last week....

Stack it up to other shows yourself. It's not doing nearly as badly as you think....ranking 39th out of 146 ain't bad at all.....

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/ratings/cl-et-tvratingstext1feb01,0,3398929.story?coll=cl-tvratings

Oh so that's why they pulled it. It was to be a flagship show and it was sinking fast. They can't afford to pay the price of the high profile actors without it being the top show of the night.

I'm not seeing "cancelled" anywhere.
"Commander in Chief" is going on a six-week hiatus.The White House drama, which brought Geena Davis a Golden Globe last month for her portrayal of the president, will air through Feb. 28.

"Commander in Chief" will return April 18th for its final four new episodes of the season, the network said Wednesday. In all, the drama will air 19 episodes, shy of the usual 22, reflecting earlier production delays.

(Please note that February is one of the sweeps months.)

I'm not seeing "cancelled" anywhere.
Quote:
"Commander in Chief" is going on a six-week hiatus.The White House drama, which brought Geena Davis a Golden Globe last month for her portrayal of the president, will air through Feb. 28.

"Commander in Chief" will return April 18th for its final four new episodes of the season, the network said Wednesday. In all, the drama will air 19 episodes, shy of the usual 22, reflecting earlier production delays.

Read between the lines, they weren't making money. 40% drop in ratings, original production team canned, attempt to bring in new cast fails, and it still falls. Now original number of episodes cut by 4 (imagine they are committed to the final four due to contracts). ABC desperately trying to fill the time slot with anything that will up their ratings.

Better TVo else you'll have nothing but memories left.

(Please note that February is one of the sweeps months.)

:rofl
and obviously they don't believe CiC will bring in the ratings they need to get sponsors.
Quote:
ABC did something similar last year when it put "Boston Legal" on the shelf for a while and replaced it with "Grey's Anatomy."

"Grey's" was such a hit that "Boston Legal" did not return for the rest of the season.

And did a major makeover. Perhaps they will do the same with CiC like putting Bo Derek in as the smart, take no prisoners President and Ellen as the evil stab you in the back liberal Senator.

Stinger said:
Read between the lines, they weren't making money. 40% drop in ratings, original production team canned, attempt to bring in new cast fails, and it still falls. Now original number of episodes cut by 4 (imagine they are committed to the final four due to contracts). ABC desperately trying to fill the time slot with anything that will up their ratings.

The original writers had issues, which is WHY they have to cut the season, because the original writers wasted time and they are behind production schedule.

and obviously they don't believe CiC will bring in the ratings they need to get sponsors.

Yeah, that's why the show will be playing during sweeps :doh It's not going on hiatus until March.

Stace said:
The original writers had issues, which is WHY they have to cut the season, because the original writers wasted time and they are behind production schedule.

And the producers had to be replaced and they tried new cast and still the ratings went down and now it's being cut short to only 19 episodes and left hanging in the wind. Well maybe one of the independent will pick it up if the price is cheap enough.

Kelzie said:
Yay I know. This freaking thread almost gave me a heart attack so I had to go look. And the show just won a Golden Globe. Obviously popular with someone. Just paving the way for our next president.

Update

" WILL SHE BE IMPEACHED?
Thu Apr 13 2006 08:14:38 ET

ABC is preparing to dismiss the first female president of The United States -- after less than a year on the job!

While it is not clear if the country is ready for a woman to take the title of COMMANDER IN CHIEF, TV executives at ABC have all but decided to pull the plug on the breakthrough drama, top sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"No one here will say publicly that it's over [for the show]," a well-placed insider said this week from Los Angeles. 'But it is over."

The program returns this evening after a long recess -- with the president's husband groping an intern!

ABC suits will not renew COMMANDER unless audience levels can hold a 15 share, a source claims. The show crashed from a high of nearly 17 million viewers for its second episode to 10.4 million for its last, Jan. 24."

http://drudgereport.com/flash2cc.htm

Stinger said:
Update

" WILL SHE BE IMPEACHED?
Thu Apr 13 2006 08:14:38 ET

ABC is preparing to dismiss the first female president of The United States -- after less than a year on the job!

While it is not clear if the country is ready for a woman to take the title of COMMANDER IN CHIEF, TV executives at ABC have all but decided to pull the plug on the breakthrough drama, top sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"No one here will say publicly that it's over [for the show]," a well-placed insider said this week from Los Angeles. 'But it is over."

The program returns this evening after a long recess -- with the president's husband groping an intern!

ABC suits will not renew COMMANDER unless audience levels can hold a 15 share, a source claims. The show crashed from a high of nearly 17 million viewers for its second episode to 10.4 million for its last, Jan. 24."

http://drudgereport.com/flash2cc.htm

Wow look at that. A two month old thread. :roll:

It's not getting pulled. Winning awards, over 10 million viewers. Forget it.

Kelzie said:
Wow look at that. A two month old thread. :roll:

The shows been dead for two months, now it's back in the news.

It's not getting pulled. Winning awards, over 10 million viewers. Forget it.

Go read again, unless it increase ratings by 50% it's gone. Look at how desperate they are to keep it on with the new plot line, if all else fails bring in sex and in thier desperate attempt to boost a Hillary candidiate lets make get some sympathy for the Davis character.

What a laugh.

Stinger said:
The shows been dead for two months, now it's back in the news.

Go read again, unless it increase ratings by 50% it's gone. Look at how desperate they are to keep it on with the new plot line, if all else fails bring in sex and in thier desperate attempt to boost a Hillary candidiate lets make get some sympathy for the Davis character.

What a laugh.

From your pseudo-news source? I'm not impressed. The wildly popular yet slightly annoying Friends sitcom had about 20 million viewers. And it was a sitcom. Heard of the West Wing? It was under 10 million viewers for most of its seven year stint. Worry not, you will see your favorite female president next season.

Kelzie said:
From your pseudo-news source? I'm not impressed. The wildly popular yet slightly annoying Friends sitcom had about 20 million viewers. And it was a sitcom. Heard of the West Wing? It was under 10 million viewers for most of its seven year stint. Worry not, you will see your favorite female president next season.

Wait, I thought she was a Republican. enh I've never seen the show, and news flash West Wing sucked and Sheen let the roll go to his head, he thinks he's a real politician now, and his son is even ****ing crazier than he is.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Wait, I thought she was a Republican. enh I've never seen the show, and news flash West Wing sucked and Sheen let the roll go to his head, he thinks he's a real politician now, and his son is even ****ing crazier than he is.

She's an independent. I never watched the West Wing, but do you want to hear something funny? In a recent poll, 3% of people thought Sheen was the actual president. :shock:

No ****ing way, are you kidding me? Where did you get that figure?

My TA for American Political Systems.

If that's true that's pretty sad.

It wouldn't shock me. Some of my poly sci classmates think that there's 211 justices on the Supreme Court. :roll:

Wait why? Is that the number of federal judgeships or something? What are they freaking retarted?

I don't know, no, and yes.

O.K. let's see how many I can list off the top of my head; Scalia, Roberts, Alito, Thomas, Ginsberg, 4 left who am I forgetting?

Off the top of your?

Same as yours, cept I got Kennedy too.

I looked it up, we're missing Breyer, Souter, and Stevens. Not bad, IMHO.

Kelzie said:
Same as yours, cept I got Kennedy too.

I looked it up, we're missing Breyer, Souter, and Stevens. Not bad, IMHO.

I think I might have figured out why they got 211 maybe they meant how many Supreme Court Justices there has ever been, I think once you become a Supreme Court Justice you keep the title.

Nope upon closer inspection there have been 115.

I think I might have figured out why they got 211 maybe they meant how many Supreme Court Justices there has ever been, I think once you become a Supreme Court Justice you keep the title.

Nope upon closer inspection there have been 115.

So..basically they're idiots. I got into a fight with them today about subsidized agriculture. Damn fools need to exposed to the glory that is free trade.

Kelzie said:
So..basically they're idiots. I got into a fight with them today about subsidized agriculture. Damn fools need to exposed to the glory that is free trade.

Holy lord, your against the subsidies now too? We're never going to get rid of them but if we keep them I think we should make it incumbant on the farmers that they have to devote a certain percentage of their crops to ethanol production if they want to keep their handouts, as long as they're ****ing up the FTAA we might as well get something good out of it.

It's funny how we instituted the Washington consensus in Latin America yet we don't follow alot of the protocals ourselves, I say if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.

But then again I do see the other side of the argument, this country has a strong protectionist history and people are worried about putting our food source soully in the hands of foriegn powers but then again I think it's more of paranoia than anything.

What do you think about the new legislation in Mass. that just got passed to subsidize Private insurance companies to create universal healthcare?

If universal health care is inevitable I think this is the way to do it ie market reforms and boosts to private enterprise rather than the nationalization of the healthcare industry.

Holy lord, your against the subsidies now too? We're never going to get rid of them but if we keep them I think we should make it incumbant on the farmers that they have to devote a certain percentage of their crops to ethanol production if they want to keep their handouts, as long as they're ****ing up the FTAA we might as well get something good out of it.

It's funny how we instituted the Washington consensus in Latin America yet we don't follow alot of the protocals ourselves, I say if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.

But then again I do see the other side of the argument, this country has a strong protectionist history and people are worried about putting our food source soully in the hands of foriegn powers but then again I think it's more of paranoia than anything.

What do you think about the new legislation in Mass. that just got passed to subsidize Private insurance companies to create universal healthcare?

If universal health care is inevitable I think this is the way to do it ie market reforms and boosts to private enterprise rather than the nationalization of the healthcare industry.

It is just paranoia, and it's frustrating.

I think that Canadian system is a good model. They have insurance companies that compete with eachother and the government pays them a certain amount for every procedure. Keeps the competition in play. The only reason I'm for nationalized health care is that it seems more efficient than private. Much like a private police force would probably be much more inefficient than our public one.

Kelzie said:
It is just paranoia, and it's frustrating.

I think that Canadian system is a good model. They have insurance companies that compete with eachother and the government pays them a certain amount for every procedure. Keeps the competition in play. The only reason I'm for nationalized health care is that it seems more efficient than private. Much like a private police force would probably be much more inefficient than our public one.

Ya right when has the government ever been more efficient than private enterprise at anything? FEMA ring any bells? Buraucracies are always inefficient that's their nature.

Ya right when has the government ever been more efficient than private enterprise at anything? FEMA ring any bells? Buraucracies are always inefficient that's their nature.

Governments are more efficient at providing public goods, ie defense, fire houses, etc. It's one of the reason's they're created. It seems to me that health care might be a public good looking at the amounts spent on it for public v private.

Back
Top Bottom