• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mrs. Bill Clinton blatherings

Stinger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Sen. Clinton Urges Democrats to Speak Up
Feb 08 2:30 PM US/Eastern
Email this story
ap.gif
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer

>>Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on Wednesday accused Republicans of "playing the fear card" of terrorism to win elections and said Democrats cannot keep quiet if they want to win in November.

I think the only fear is in the eyes of the Democrats who have yet to say what they would do.

>> Clinton said a convention of United Auto Workers that Democrats should not be afraid to question Bush's handling of the war.

Since that's all they can do is engaging in pointless questioning. How about Mrs. Bill Clinton saying what she would different and how she would accomplish it.

>> "I take a back seat to nobody when it comes to fighting terrorism and standing up for national homeland security," she said.

And what exact is her plan? Is she willing to listen into terrorist conversations and go after them or is she more worried about violating OBL rights?

>> Referring to fugitive al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, Clinton said, "You cannot explain to me why we have not captured or killed the tallest man in Afghanistan."

So she believes that the ability to capture a terrorist is based on his height. And she wants to be commander in chief? "General this man is a whole foot taller than this one that you did capture. Why can't you capture him". Geez what idoicy.

>> She added, "Since when has it been part of American patriotism to keep our mouths shut?"

Whether you open it or not is the measure, it's what comes out of it. And she is suppose to be brilliant?

>> Clinton also said the Bush administration was allowing U.S. manufacturing to wither away and that the only way for workers to protect those jobs was by electing Democrats.

And her plan is what, and didn't anyone tell her manufacturing jobs are increasing.

>> The bulk of her 30-minute speech focused on economic issues and the troubled U.S. auto industry, which is losing market share to foreign manufacturers and bracing for tens of thousands of layoffs.

And someone needs to tell her that those companies are building plants here in the South and we are begging for people to come and fill those jobs, or is she writing us off like Kerry did, we aren't good enough to have jobs.

>> Clinton said the administration has not done enough to keep America globally competitive. She urged a new long-term effort by the government and private oil companies to fund research and development, particularly in energy-saving technologies.

Ahhhh Bush did that already.

>> Speaking to an enthusiastic Democratic crowd that increasingly sees jobs moving overseas, Clinton said Thailand should not be granted access to the U.S. auto market.

So she wants to punish the poor people of Thailand? And someone needs to clue her in, the South is not overseas.

If you want your speech to be successful there are three things you should never share the stage with:

Children
Pets
Bill Clinton

Here's a link to the copyrighted article that wasn't included in the OP:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1594691

>> Speaking to an enthusiastic Democratic crowd that increasingly sees jobs moving overseas, Clinton said Thailand should not be granted access to the U.S. auto market.

So she wants to punish the poor people of Thailand? And someone needs to clue her in, the South is not overseas.
Thailand is not in the South and is indeed "overseas".

shuamort said:
Thailand is not in the South and is indeed "overseas".

Those jobs are moving here, not to Thailand, those Asian countries are building auto plants here and the jobs are here. As I said someone needs to clue here in. But let her go around saying how she is going to stop them, how she will put tariffs and other restrictions on foriegn manufacturers to save jobs in the north. Kerry lost because he ignored the South, so will she.

Stinger said:
Those jobs are moving here, not to Thailand, those Asian countries are building auto plants here and the jobs are here. As I said someone needs to clue here in. But let her go around saying how she is going to stop them, how she will put tariffs and other restrictions on foriegn manufacturers to save jobs in the north. Kerry lost because he ignored the South, so will she.
That's not what I'm reading there.

shuamort said:
That's not what I'm reading there.

Then you are reading lies. I live here and the plants are major customers of mine along with the Tier 1 and Tier 2 plants which are supplying them. What exactly are you reading and from where.

Go here, our industry association, and read for yourself

http://www.aama.to/press.asp

Or from the state itself

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Top[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Growth:[/FONT] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*]Alabama was named the Top Job Creating State in 2002 (Area Development 2003).
    [*]Alabama has been named "State of the Year" twice in a row from Southern Business and Development magazine, based on its record job growth and economic development (2004).
    [*]Home to Two of 2002's Biggest Capital Investment and Job Generator Projects: Hyundai Motor Co. and Honda of Alabama Expansion. (Site Selection 2003)
    [*]Alabama Ranked 10th among the Top 20 US States for Small Town Projects for 2000-2002 (Site Selection Magazine 2003)
    [*]From 2000 to 2002 Alabama was home to more new manufacturing projects than any other East South Central State and 2nd to North Carolina among all Southeastern States. (Site Selection Magazine 2003)
    [*]Alabama exports increased 41.2 percent from 2001 to 2002, one of the highest growth rates in the U.S. (U.S. Census Bureau-Foreign Trade Division)
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Lots of growth in auto assembly plants in southeast auto corridor...

mapforassembly1.gif

(operating, under construction and announced)

1. General Motors (Saturn) - Spring Hill, Tenn.
2. Nissan - Smyrna, Tenn.
3. Mercedes-Benz - Vance, Ala.
4. Honda - Lincoln, Ala.
5. General Motors - Doraville, Ga.
6. Ford - Hapeville, Ga.
7. Nissan - Canton, Miss.
8. General Motors - Bowling Green, Ky.
9. Toyota - Georgetown, Ky.
10. Ford - Louisville, Ky.
11. General Motors - Shreveport, La.
12. General Motors - Arlington, Tex.
13. General Motors - Oklahoma City, Ok.
14. Ford - Claycono, Mo.
15. Chrysler - St. Louis, Mo.
16. Ford - St. Louis, Mo.
17. General Motors - Wentzville, Mo.
18. General Motors - Kansas City, Kan.
19. BMW - Greer, S.C.
20. Ford - Norfolk, Va.
21. General Motors - Baltimore, Md.
22. Hyundai - Montgomery, Ala.
23. *Toyota - San Antonio, Tex.

* Under Construction

This is mostly recent growth; the first plant in the area was, IIRC, the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN, which was built in the late '70s - early '80s. And thats just the assembly plants. There are many, many plants supporting them with the manufacture of parts and accessories.

Source.

Not to mention KIA which has finalize it's site selection. They were looking at Meridian MS but after looking at the demograhics the were afraid THERE WEREN'T ENOUGH AVAILABLE WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it looks like Texas last I heard.

And your list doesn't include such support companies as Hysco, Topre, ZF, Ogihara, Precission Strip, Mobis and on and on and on.

Mrs. Bill Clinton is clueless.

Stinger said:
Not to mention KIA which has finalize it's site selection. They were looking at Meridian MS but after looking at the demograhics the were afraid THERE WEREN'T ENOUGH AVAILABLE WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it looks like Texas last I heard.

And your list doesn't include such support companies as Hysco, Topre, ZF, Ogihara, Precission Strip, Mobis and on and on and on.

Mrs. Bill Clinton is clueless.

I think she's right on! Because we desperately need those plants over here.:2wave: ---Berlin, Germany

black wolf said:
I think she's right on! Because we desperately need those plants over here.:2wave: ---Berlin, Germany

We produce very good Mercede's here, and I also work for a German company.

Just had to throw this in, since y'all are talking about jobs now....did any of you watch CSPAN tonight? I didn't catch the guy's name, but one of the Republican guys was talking about how we need to expand upon outsourcing jobs. He was talking about how it's increased our GDP and such.....well, that's great and all, but then people wonder why there are so many unemployed Americans. :lol:

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
That's exactly right people don't understand that the foriegn companies are built here in America so the jobs aren't being outsourced the jobs still go to the American workers.

That's not entirely true. A majority of call centers.. customer service reps and technical support for most of the ISP's are being shipped to India. Earthlink, AOL... give em a call sometime. Tell me what you think then. Most people don't understand that CSR's make a good deal of money, and companies are being allowed to ship it outside of the US.

debate_junkie said:
That's not entirely true. A majority of call centers.. customer service reps and technical support for most of the ISP's are being shipped to India. Earthlink, AOL... give em a call sometime. Tell me what you think then. Most people don't understand that CSR's make a good deal of money, and companies are being allowed to ship it outside of the US.

Ya but these are low pay service jobs that Americans don't want anyways.

I have to laugh when I hear the liberals complaining of outsourcing when in actuality they have traditionally been the biggest proponents for globalization, traditionally conservatives have been for a more protectionist economy, however, they have come to realize that a protectionist economic policy will make America less competitive and will lead to the demise of U.S. economic hegemony due to the rise of economic power houses; such as, the E.U. and Mercosur. To stay competive the U.S. needs to be involved in organizations like NAFTA and CAFTA.

When you hear the Democrats complaining about globalization and outsourcing you have to realize it's only a political ploy and not an ideological one. The Democrats are just as big on globalization as the Republicans.

Stace said:
Just had to throw this in, since y'all are talking about jobs now....did any of you watch CSPAN tonight? I didn't catch the guy's name, but one of the Republican guys was talking about how we need to expand upon outsourcing jobs. He was talking about how it's increased our GDP and such.....well, that's great and all, but then people wonder why there are so many unemployed Americans. :lol:

dee dee dee, unemployment is at near record lows.

Stace said:

There aren't so many unemployed Americans. But unless you can provide more details of exactly what was being said or proposed I don't think you'll get much comment,

debate_junkie said:

Some are and some aren't, Hertz, Sears and a few smaller ones have centers here in our city. They provide good jobs for mothers who want to work part-time or students. That being said I find this mostly in computer tech support, of course there are a lot of people in the foreign countries who are getting better educations in those fields than here. But I have been known to send an email message to a company when I did find myself talking to someone in another country and I had difficulty communicating with them. This happened with Delta airlines, they wrote me back telling me they sent their contractors through "accent neutralization courses":doh

When you hear the Democrats complaining about globalization and outsourcing you have to realize it's only a political ploy and not an ideological one. The Democrats are just as big on globalization as the Republicans.

Yes on the one hand they want us to send money over to these countries to help them, and then forgive the debt, but when companies try to create jobs that's a no-no.

Stinger said:
Sen. Clinton Urges Democrats to Speak Up
Feb 08 2:30 PM US/Eastern
Email this story
ap.gif
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer

>>Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on Wednesday accused Republicans of "playing the fear card" of terrorism to win elections and said Democrats cannot keep quiet if they want to win in November.
Wasn't she the smae woman who a three or four weeks ago tried to imply that republicans were racist ,"that the republicans ran the white house like a plantation you know what I'm talking about"?Where does this woman get the nerve to accuse anyone of playing any particular "card"?

jamesrage said:
Wasn't she the smae woman who a three or four weeks ago tried to imply that republicans were racist ,"that the republicans ran the white house like a plantation you know what I'm talking about"?Where does this woman get the nerve to accuse anyone of playing any particular "card"?

Maybe from this article in the Washington Post
For their study, Nosek, Banaji and social psychologist Erik Thompson culled self-acknowledged views about blacks from nearly 130,000 whites, who volunteered online to participate in a widely used test of racial bias that measures the speed of people's associations between black or white faces and positive or negative words. The researchers examined correlations between explicit and implicit attitudes and voting behavior in all 435 congressional districts.

The analysis found that substantial majorities of Americans, liberals and conservatives, found it more difficult to associate black faces with positive concepts than white faces -- evidence of implicit bias. But districts that registered higher levels of bias systematically produced more votes for Bush.

"Obviously, such research does not speak at all to the question of the prejudice level of the president," said Banaji, "but it does show that George W. Bush is appealing as a leader to those Americans who harbor greater anti-black prejudice."
Grain of salt and all that.

dee dee dee, unemployment is at near record lows.

Yeah, low for this administration. That's about it. I've been on unemployment for three months, dear. Trust me, I know the stats.

Well that kind of figures. Not because of Bush himself so much as what he and his people represent in the eyes of a certain segment of the electorate.

Stinger said:
There aren't so many unemployed Americans. But unless you can provide more details of exactly what was being said or proposed I don't think you'll get much comment,

Aren't so many? Like I just told Trajan, I'm one of them. And until recently, my husband was, too. But that's a different argument that's already being discussed in another thread.

I can't really give you any more specifics about the thing on C-SPAN, I was doing other things at the time and didn't have my full attention on the T.V., that's why I asked if anyone else happened to have been watching. I would imagine that more information will be available in the next few days though.

Stace said:
Aren't so many? Like I just told Trajan, I'm one of them. And until recently, my husband was, too. But that's a different argument that's already being discussed in another thread.

Just because you are doesn't mean there are many. The fact is uemployment is down to 4.7% and falling. Most economist will tell you that full employment is around 4.5% because there are always people between jobs. And the numbers on long term unemployed are even lower.

Employement figures are calling lagging figures, it takes time after a recovery for unemployment figures to rebound. Same with wage growth, as the unemployment rate drops wages go up as employers compete for employees. it will be quite natural for GDP figures to now level off for a while since the number of people being hired and producing things will slow, GDP % growth is from one period to the next, any gains now will be from productivity gains which require capital investment, which btw depends on low taxed. Want to shut down the economy and put us in a downward trend, raise taxes now. Cut off the available capital and you will see the economy slow and people lose jobs.

Back
Top Bottom