• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mr. Trump Knew It Was Deadly and Airborne

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Mr. Trump Knew It Was Deadly and Airborne | The New York Times

010pandemic_print-articleLarge-v2.jpg

9/9/20
On Feb. 7, during a taped interview with Bob Woodward, President Trump acknowledged that the coronavirus could be transmitted through the air, that it was very dangerous and that it would be difficult to contain. “This is deadly stuff,” he told the investigative journalist. “You just breathe the air, and that’s how it’s passed,” the president warned. Despite his apparent understanding of the severity of the disease and its method of transmission, over the next month, in five cities around the country, Mr. Trump held large indoor rallies, which were attended by thousands of his supporters. Mr. Trump spent weeks insisting in public that the coronavirus was no worse than a seasonal flu. It would “disappear” when the seasons changed, he promised in late February. “We’re doing a great job,” he said in early March. “I wanted to always play it down,” Mr. Trump told Mr. Woodward on March 19. “I still like playing it down, because I don’t want to create a panic.” Mr. Trump and a great many of his supporters and political allies did play down the severity of the coronavirus and did criticize the public health measures deployed to prevent its spread. As a result, the coronavirus spread faster and sickened or killed more people in the United States than in any of its peer nations. If the United States had the same coronavirus fatality rate as Canada, more than 100,000 Americans could still be alive today.

Much of the responsibility for the fatal mishandling of the pandemic lies with the president. But with every public lie out of Mr. Trump’s mouth, or on his Twitter feed, how many members of his administration who knew better stayed silent? The president has repeatedly tried to muzzle and sideline scientists and health officials who disagree with his sunny assessments, often replacing them with less qualified people willing to sing his praises. Mr. Trump’s lack of leadership almost certainly made the nation’s suffering greater, its death toll higher and its economic costs more severe in the long term. Furthermore, Mr. Woodward’s tapes make clear that members of the Trump administration failed to act — even behind the scenes — based on what they knew at the time. Nearly 200,000 people in the United States have already died, and hundreds of thousands more have suffered grave illness — often followed by a slow, hard recovery and, in some cases, permanent disability. Tens of millions of people have lost their jobs, and millions are on the cusp of losing their homes. School systems and elder care networks are struggling to function. The economy is in tatters. Imagine what this picture could look like today had the president been honest with the American public on Feb. 7, calmly taken charge of the nation’s response to the pandemic and done his best to protect them.

Quite frankly, I am at a loss to identify something comparable in US presidential history to Donald Trump's lies and deceptions to the American people regarding the deadly coronavirus.

Estimates say ~100,000 needless American deaths. And what about those that surround him? His enablers? Even today they are still trying to paper-over Trumps massive dereliction of duty.

Now Richard Nixon joins George W. Bush in the “not the worst President” category!

Lordy, there are tapes.

This meme is finally true.

miss-me-yet4.jpg

And you could replace that image with every single past American president and it would still be true.

Quite frankly, I am at a loss to identify something comparable in US presidential history to Donald Trump's lies and deceptions to the American people regarding the deadly coronavirus.

Estimates say ~100,000 needless American deaths. And what about those that surround him? His enablers? Even today they are still trying to paper-over Trumps massive dereliction of duty.

It's the worst thing, one of the most disloyal acts, that any single American citizen has ever done to the U.S. in the entirety of U.S. history.

This entire time I thought Trump was an incompetent idiot.

I was wrong.

It's far worst than that.

Trump is a psychopath.

So, apparently, did Bob Woodward. But he waited until cash-in time to tell the Trumpers that Trump was deliberately lying to them. Thanks Bob.

Yeah. Real smart, you is.

Hell yeah! We want a president who grabs the microphone and screams “We are in the grips of an epidemic and most of us will be dead in a year.”. Talk about panic, looting, and vigilanteism.

You guys are too funny!

Hell yeah! We want a president who grabs the microphone and screams “We are in the grips of an epidemic and most of us will be dead in a year.”. Talk about panic, looting, and vigilanteism.

You guys are too funny!

FDR didn't do that after Pearl Harbor. George W. Bush didn't do that after 9/11.

But you assume Trump would have to scream COVID! like Chicken Little. In addition, you assume Americans cannot cope with adversity.

You are one crappy American, I'll say that.

So, apparently, did Bob Woodward. But he waited until cash-in time to tell the Trumpers that Trump was deliberately lying to them. Thanks Bob.

"Why didn't Woodward warn us sooner about the guy I'm going to vote for anyway?"

-every trump supporter.

You guys are too funny!

"Why did you allow the car to hit me? Why didn't you warn me?"

"I didn't want to panic you."

Trump could literally shoot someone on 5th ave., and his supporters would NOT care.. Of all of Trump's lies and BS and being wrong he was right when he said that..

He knows his base, they are just as callous towards Americans dying as he is. He's a traitor, so are they..

Your hatred is obvious.
Why don’t you tell the whole story.
What did Fauci say?
When was travel from China banned?
When did Pelosi invite people into Chinatown.
Common sense is you don’t start a panic like the left likes to do.
You are so dishonest.

FDR didn't do that after Pearl Harbor. George W. Bush didn't do that after 9/11.

But you assume Trump would have to scream COVID! like Chicken Little. In addition, you assume Americans cannot cope with adversity.

You are one crappy American, I'll say that.

We have the community spread and deaths we do because Americans don’t cope with adversity. We had hoarding and price gouging because Americans couldn’t react rationally to the information they did have. What would you have Trump say that would help any of that? Because, frankly unlike the circumstances addressed by FDR or Bush, this pandemic is the worst nightmare realized and there was nothing the government or private sector could do for the American people. The only supposedly heinous crime you’re really accusing Trump of is providing false hope instead of telling the truth that we were screwed, people are going to die, and there’s nothing anyone can do to save you.

You guys are too funny!

Yeah, I want one that tells us not to take it seriously, that I shouldn't wear a mask, thats its a hoax, that everything should open back up because its not much worse than the flu.... while knowing all of that is a death sentence for many.

You guys are too funny!

It's sad that you are not smart enough to come up with an alternate to this that would have Been reasonable.

This meme is finally true.

miss-me-yet4.jpg

And you could replace that image with every single past American president and it would still be true.

Only your own past presidents. You can't miss any presidents who retired before you were born. For me, that is every president before Jimmy Carter.

Trump could literally shoot someone on 5th ave., and his supporters would NOT care.. Of all of Trump's lies and BS and being wrong he was right when he said that..

He knows his base, they are just as callous towards Americans dying as he is. He's a traitor, so are they..

no, Donald Trump was dead wrong about that one. He said nobody could do anything to him because he is the president, making it very clear it means, "I am above the law."

I wish someone else shot him on Fifth Avenue. He deserved it.

Yeah, I want one that tells us not to take it seriously, that I shouldn't wear a mask, thats its a hoax, that everything should open back up because its not much worse than the flu.... while knowing all of that is a death sentence for many.

Let’s talk about the masks. Masks were discouraged for the general public because there was a shortage and they needed to be reserved for medical professionals. Put another way, the government had to prioritize lives and decided that if someone was going to become infected with COVID and die it had to be you rather than a doctor or a nurse. So the options were telling you that outright or telling you that you don’t need a mask. Don’t buy a mask. Don’t wear a mask. Which do you think is the better announcement to make for a President? I say the latter and I read between the lines to understand the truth was the former.

Last edited:
"Why didn't Woodward warn us sooner about the guy I'm going to vote for anyway?"

-every trump supporter.

"Why did Woodward warn us at all, if all Trump supporters are going to vote for him anyway?"

-Me (not a Trump supporter).

I just saw a short clip of his rally, MI I think. Disgusting behavior all around.

Society must, from time to time, depend on the idea that somewhat bad people with murky motivations might cancel out even worse ones.

I take it he lost your vote because you believe he deliberately killed at least 100,000 people because he didn't move as fast as you would have liked him to move. That must mean you know so much more about leading a country of 330 million people through a pandemic that no one expected.

It's the worst thing, one of the most disloyal acts, that any single American citizen has ever done to the U.S. in the entirety of U.S. history.

I was wrong.

Trump is a psychopath.

And you should know that he plotted way back in February of this year to kill as many people as he could because he is evil.
Now you can safely cast your vote against him because he is a murderer and, oh yeah, a psychopath.
See how simple the world can be to those who simply hate Trump?

Bob's not stupid. He's been cashing in on his fame since 1974 when he got lucky and unmasked clumsy Dick Nixon.
Then, on top of that, he had Robert Redford portray him in a movie.
I mean, really, how many people alive today can say "Oh yeah, and my buddy Bob Redford portrayed me in a very popular movie in the 70s."? No one alive can say that today.
And that was just two years after Nixon's fall.

I was wrong.

Trump is a psychopath.

Adding to the disloyal, bordering on traitorous:

TrumpNK.jpg

Holy ****...the president of the US is celebrating the health of a murderous COMMUNIST dictator who is an enemy of and a danger to this country.

The depths of **** he's sinking into seem to be bottomless.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Back
Top Bottom