• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mr. Trump Knew It Was Deadly and Airborne

I came in in the middle, what post #?

In summary, the American people responded with the information they did have at the outset by panic shopping, hoarding food and supplies, and price gouging. There was a national PPE shortage they could do nothing about in the short term and the government needed to prioritize the safety and lives of healthcare professionals above all other Americans. So what possible help would it have been to tell the truth - that there was a highly contagious and deadly pathogen in the wild for which there is no available testing to scale so we don’t know who has it and who doesn’t, people are going to die and it’s every man for himself because there’s absolutely nothing the government or private sector can do for you, and don’t buy a mask because if someone is going to contract this disease and die it needs to be you because we have to prioritize healthcare professionals. You want the President to say those things outright? Are you kidding me?

Now Richard Nixon joins George W. Bush in the “not the worst President” category!

Lordy, there are tapes.

that there are tapes is just so sweet.

i actually got to live through 2 Watergates. Watergate and #TrumpLiedPeopleDied.

it's nothing to be happy about but if they had to happen at least i was here and learned so much about people/politicians/voters.

In summary, the American people responded with the information they did have at the outset by panic shopping, hoarding food and supplies, and price gouging. There was a national PPE shortage they could do nothing about in the short term and the government needed to prioritize the safety and lives of healthcare professionals above all other Americans. So what possible help would it have been to tell the truth - that there was a highly contagious and deadly pathogen in the wild for which there is no available testing to scale, people are going to die and it’s every man for himself because there’s absolutely nothing the government or private sector can do for you, and don’t buy a mask because if someone is going to contract this disease and die it needs to be you because we have to prioritize healthcare professionals. You want the President to say those things outright? Are you kidding me?

We will have to disagree, then. Trump has proven time after time that he is binary and in the moment. He has not demonstrated any forward planning that I have seen. I never knew the day trader name before trump, but it fits.

The people who stocked up and hoarded are the same ones that made a run on plastic wrap and duct tape in the early 2000s. The ship of state hasn’t had a steady hand on the rudder for the past 3+ years. Thanks for not making me scroll thru the thread, I cop to lazy.......

Now Richard Nixon joins George W. Bush in the “not the worst President” category!

Lordy, there are tapes.

At least these tapes don't have a gap like Nixon's.

I am not buying President Trump's explanation on not wanting to cause a panic.

Democratic President Woodrow Wilson, 1918

He knew the Spanish Flu was transmitted via air, yet sent an additional hundreds of thousands of troops over to Europe in WWI travelling in Navy ships packed like sardines.

Why? Because the troops were needed to win the war, only many got ill and died before reaching the European Theater.

Wilson lied to the American people about all of this.

Are you saying it ok for Presidents to lie about a pandemic?

Since you brought up the decision made during WWI. What world war is the US fighting now?

At least these tapes don't have a gap like Nixon's.

I am not buying President Trump's explanation on not wanting to cause a panic.

Of course it’s crappola. Trump and his campaign have been trying to panic the electorate for years now.

Caravans of criminals
Suburbs will disappear
Stock market and 401Ks will tank
Antifa/anarchists/terrorists

For starters.......

Of course it’s crappola. Trump and his campaign have been trying to panic the electorate for years now.

Caravans of criminals
Suburbs will disappear
Stock market and 401Ks will tank
Antifa/anarchists/terrorists

For starters.......

It like some of the PAC adds and Trumps describing what a Biden America will look like. Riots, High crime, etc. I find it funny because that is what is happen now under Trump. The adds don't help Trump.

Democratic President Woodrow Wilson, 1918

He knew the Spanish Flu was transmitted via air, yet sent an additional hundreds of thousands of troops over to Europe in WWI travelling in Navy ships packed like sardines.

Why? Because the troops were needed to win the war, only many got ill and died before reaching the European Theater.

Wilson lied to the American people about all of this.

Hmmmm. What's your source for this?

The Spanish Flu ebbed and flowed...it came in waves. It circled the globe twice. Were those troops loaded up and headed over in the middle of an outbreak? How could Wilson know the future? Whatcha got on specifics here? Cuz the details matter. Esp. the ones where he lied to the American people.

Nope, sorry. I need to see the quotes.

I have an epidemiology library of over 50 books, several of which are on the SF of 1918. I'm asking you to source what I specifically questioned in your post. (see above)

(Btw, my reading list is in an Excel spreadsheet if you'd like me to share it. The books I have on my Kindle are linked directly to Amazon for your convenience.)

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Last edited:
I've read that Wilson did put the lid on news of the epidemic, at least in 1918 when it was running rampant stateside. Of course there wasn't a whole lot you could do about it back then, although some cities did start social distancing measures. I didn't know it had anything to do with the war. That certainly isn't what we hear was the big killer in the trenches of WW I.

I'm just curious...I've read many accounts and books of that flu and dont remember much on his doing so. Context is needed IMO.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

If I’m a crappy American compared to you I’ll take that. You haven’t had a positive thing to say about the country since Trump got elected. Read the Chinese and Russian Twitter feeds. You’ll find your friends there. They all agree with you.

What would you like us to call out as positive? A good economy he inherited? The new healthcare plan he promised? Mexico paying for the wall? NK dismantling its nuclear program?

I’m still waiting for someone to explain how telling the truth would have been helpful rather than harmful. In the words of Hillary Clinton, “What difference does it make?!”

It's been spelled out many times. More Americans would have taken the crisis seriously...more wearing masks (which The Donald CONTINUES to dismiss), not social distancing, trying to end the economic shutdowns too soon (which worked unfortunately and then they ignored the guidelines for that too), etc.

Instead, more took risks, more spread it, and 10s of thousands, if not 100 thousand or more people died unnecessarily.

Good lord a 3rd grader could understand this! Altho if you look at my signatures, you'll see one that shows some people were never capable of grasping the concept or the seriousness.

It's been spelled out many times. More Americans would have taken the crisis seriously...more wearing masks (which The Donald CONTINUES to dismiss), not social distancing, trying to end the economic shutdowns too soon (which worked unfortunately and then they ignored the guidelines for that too), etc.

Instead, more took risks, more spread it, and 10s of thousands, if not 100 thousand or more people died unnecessarily.

Good lord a 3rd grader could understand this! Altho if you look at my signatures, you'll see one that shows some people were never capable of grasping the concept or the seriousness.

You’re making an assumption that I do not believe is reasonable. I believe that it would have been absolute mayhem if Trump had been forthright and I don’t believe that public resistance is tied to their knowledge of the severity of the disease. And you’re missing one important fact: the truth has always been out there despite Trump’s best efforts to keep it under wraps. People would have taken the same risks.

Last edited:
What would you like us to call out as positive? A good economy he inherited? The new healthcare plan he promised? Mexico paying for the wall? NK dismantling its nuclear program?

There was a time when you just accepted that the other party won, and you would just have to deal with it for four to eight years, hoping you'd be back in there again next go around.

Too many people have invested too much of themselves into the elections and view them as a battle to the death and it didn't matter if nothing was left standing after the fight.

You really need to rethink the value of your butt hurt, and understand you get a chance to change the prez every four years, and there is no good master served by having a scorched earth attitude toward everything you disagree with.

So, apparently, did Bob Woodward. But he waited until cash-in time to tell the Trumpers that Trump was deliberately lying to them. Thanks Bob.

Do you really think it would have mattered? Or more directly, would you have cared? Would they way you deal with the COVID-19 pandemic today have changed much, if at all, had you known this truth 5-months ago? By your very snide remark, I think not.

It's highly doubtful you would have believed Bob Woodward over Pres. Trump, you likely would not have demanded to know more about this virus from him or his appointment scientists (since many of Trump's supporters are science-deniers) and you probably would have remained on Trump's side as he attacked Bob Woodward's revelations anyway. So, whether he came out with this information in March or he sprang this September Surprise, it wouldn't have matter to you one bit. Your response above proves as much.

FDR didn't do that after Pearl Harbor. George W. Bush didn't do that after 9/11.

But you assume Trump would have to scream COVID! like Chicken Little. In addition, you assume Americans cannot cope with adversity.

You are one crappy American, I'll say that.

Pres. Trump wasn't worried about the American people going into a panic over the corona virus. He cared more about his image headed into the election cycle than saving lives!

"[SIC]he did not push to do aggressive additional testing in recent weeks, and that's partly because more testing might have led to more cases being discovered of coronavirus outbreak, and the president had made clear: The lower the numbers on coronavirus, the better for the president, the better for his potential reelection this fall,"

Source: Business Insider

Sidenote: Note the date of the Business Insider article, 3/13/2020...lines right up with the date Trump provided his recorded statement to Bob Woodward.

You’re making an assumption that I do not believe is reasonable. I believe that it would have been absolute mayhem if Trump had been forthright and I don’t believe that public resistance is tied to their knowledge of the severity of the disease. And you’re missing one important fact: the truth has always been out there despite Trump’s best efforts to keep it under wraps. People would have taken the same risks.

LOL "Reasonable" people dont agree with you. People see how deadly it is now and there's no panic. Please.

Try this instead, it wasnt black or white, either/or:

Trump's stated reason for downplaying the virus was to avoid "panic." But that notion creates a false choice. It is simply not true that Trump could only either a) create total panic by telling the public the truth about what he knew about Covid-19 or b) downplay the severity of what he knew about the virus in order to maintain calm.

That's not an either/or! And even if it was an either/or, it still wouldn't excuse what Trump did. He didn't just downplay the virus. He openly mocked mask-wearing, one of the only proven tactics we have to mitigate the spread. He pushed hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for the virus, even though the FDA revoked its emergency use authorization for the drug in mid-June. Heck, he even suggested that people might benefit from shining a bright light inside their bodies or ingesting disinfectant to combat the virus.

That's MUCH more than just downplaying what he knew about coronavirus. That's openly rejecting science in favor of personal opinion and political point-scoring.

Donald Trump needs reminding that Bob Woodward isn't president of the United States - CNNPolitics

LOL "Reasonable" people dont agree with you. People see how deadly it is now and there's no panic. Please.

Try this instead, it wasnt black or white, either/or:

Donald Trump needs reminding that Bob Woodward isn't president of the United States - CNNPolitics

Baloney. There was panic even without Trump disclosing the truth. It would have been worse if he had. And the author of that article needs reminding that the point of investigative journalism is that you disclose things to the public not sit on information that is supposedly paramount to public health so you can make a dime six months later.

There was a time when you just accepted that the other party won, and you would just have to deal with it for four to eight years, hoping you'd be back in there again next go around.

Too many people have invested too much of themselves into the elections and view them as a battle to the death and it didn't matter if nothing was left standing after the fight.

You really need to rethink the value of your butt hurt, and understand you get a chance to change the prez every four years, and there is no good master served by having a scorched earth attitude toward everything you disagree with.

Nice speech confirming the veracity of my post. It seems "I'm" not the butthurt one.

Baloney. There was panic even without Trump disclosing the truth. It would have been worse if he had. And the author of that article needs reminding that the point of investigative journalism is that you disclose things to public not sit on information that is supposedly paramount to public health so you can make a dime six months later.

What panic? Which panic caused 10's of thousands of deaths?

What panic? Which panic caused 10's of thousands of deaths?

You don’t remember the panic shopping, hoarding, and price gouging? You have a short memory. Providing false hope isn’t a crime especially when the truth is people are going to die and it’s every man for himself. Words would not have prevented 10s of thousands of deaths.

FDR didn't do that after Pearl Harbor. George W. Bush didn't do that after 9/11.

But you assume Trump would have to scream COVID! like Chicken Little. In addition, you assume Americans cannot cope with adversity.

You are one crappy American, I'll say that.

Saw this on Twitter, I thought it was relevant enough to your post to share:

Things Churchill didn't say:

- the Blitz is a hoax
- the Nazis will miraculously be gone by April
- going to a fallout shelter is voluntary; I don't think I'll be doing it
- I don't take responsibility at all

https://twitter.com/Malinowski/status/1304217563107336192?s=20

Back
Top Bottom