• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MPs' scandals covered up on Wikipedia

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
MPs' scandals covered up on Wikipedia - Telegraph

Quote(The biographical pages of MPs on the online encylopedia Wikipedia have been altered to remove details of past humiliations, it can be revealed.)

For those folk who have read History this news will pose no surprise.

Revisionists abound throughout the last two centuries.

What I find unfortunate about the Digital age is that eventually all paper copy will vanish and with the ease of altering documentation, our History will be without factual evidence.

Well it states in the article that it was the MP's own people who have done it. Not the first time. Happened quite often under Bush, both one way and the other way. Hell even Fox News has been busted doing it. That is the great flaw in Wikipedia...

Well it states in the article that it was the MP's own people who have done it. Not the first time. Happened quite often under Bush, both one way and the other way. Hell even Fox News has been busted doing it. That is the great flaw in Wikipedia...
It's amazing how you flutter seamlessly from the Europe Forum and British MPs to Bush and Fox News.

Don't you ever tire of trolling and baiting?

It's amazing how you flutter seamlessly from the Europe Forum and British MPs to Bush and Fox News.

Just stating a fact and stating that it is not new at all. It is one of the reasons Wikipedia put certain restrictions on editing on certain articles, because of people working for US politicians and media outlets like Fox News were caught changing entries for their own benefit. That wikipedia did not find it necessary for now to police British MP's entries only shows how much more civil British politics is seen. Granted they might have to change that policy now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4695376.stm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9760586-7.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-475464/CIA-caught-rewriting-Wikipedia-biographies.html

there are many more links... was quite the scandal between 2003 to 2007, aka under Bush.

Last edited:
Was that a Daily Mail link I saw?!

Tut tut tut! I thought that was just a biased media organ for lowly little right wing specimens like me to dose up on hatred and propaganda!

Mind you, it is disgusting that these politicians re-edit Wikipedia to re-write their pasts. (As if all the info' isn't available elsewhere on the wonderful worldwide Web.)

....But still, if a politician's back-history looks clean at first glance then we know the buggers have knobbled the record!!

Last edited:
Wiki is not a reliable source. I sure don't believe I'm getting the whole scoop. It's handy for certain things but no one should be relying on it for much.

-- For those folk who have read History this news will pose no surprise.

Revisionists abound throughout the last two centuries.

What I find unfortunate about the Digital age is that eventually all paper copy will vanish and with the ease of altering documentation, our History will be without factual evidence.

"jujuman13" if revisionism has been happening for two centuries prior, what is the essential difference then when it's done digitally? I think what this shows firstly is that impartial news sources become ever more important as they will become repositories of the most truthful versions of events. Most internet literate users know to double check any Wikipedia sources and pages because they can be edited so easily - hopefully it will force more and more users and people interested in historical and current events to read as many sources as possible.

How does your post address the subject? Are you not trolling and baiting by following PeteEU around?

Back
Top Bottom