• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MP stripped of his Parliamentary seat by court

Laila

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
... for the first time in 100 years
The former immigration minister Phil Woolas was ejected from parliament today after two high court judges ruled that he lied about his Liberal Democrat opponent during the general election, in a judgment that is likely to have profound implications for all future campaigns.

Woolas claimed the ruling – which also triggered a byelection and barred him from standing again for three years – would "chill political speech", but the Lib Dem who challenged his 103 majority welcomed the decision, saying lying should play no part in democratic elections.

Phil Woolas ejected from parliament over election slurs | UK news | The Guardian

Talk about bitch slapped by the Judges :lamo

The Judges have also demanded a by election. This will be highly interesting to watch considering the unpopularity of Lib Dems who came second in the last election

... for the first time in 100 years

Phil Woolas ejected from parliament over election slurs | UK news | The Guardian

Talk about bitch slapped by the Judges :lamo

The Judges have also demanded a by election. This will be highly interesting to watch considering the unpopularity of Lib Dems who came second in the last election

Are LibDems particularly unpopular after the last election? Or do you mean their unpopularity in general? And why are the LibDems unpopular?

Oh god the ruling was based of him lying. If we had that here in the States we would never have any elected officials.

Not only that but yes. He made false accusations against his opponent and those lies led to him winning a seat. Not to mention he broke the law.

Are LibDems particularly unpopular after the last election? Or do you mean their unpopularity in general? And why are the LibDems unpopular?

Lib Dem support has fallen into single digit when before it wasn't. That is a very steep drop. Voters have left, councillors and MP's have defected to other parties.
Lib Dems unpopularity is because they have to voters been seen to have left their roots, they have sided with the Conservatives and to Lib Dem Voters have abandoned some of their key pledges.

Last edited:
Oh god the ruling was based of him lying. If we had that here in the States we would never have any elected officials.

You would have civilized and cheaper elections. All the money used on false attack adds would poof :)

Not only that but yes. He made false accusations against his opponent and those lies led to him winning a seat. Not to mention he broke the law.

Right I understand that, but I can't ever imagine something like this happening in the states. Lying and breaking the law seem to be widespread in our system.

I'm really having a hard time expressing how disgusted I am at this entire concept. Ugh.

The concept of lying about your opponent to gain advantage, or of being made lawfully accountable for your lies?

In this particular case, the incriminating email made it clear that Woolas was making statements he knew to be false in order to rile up white voters. Under those circumstances I can understand the verdict. The problem is that I doubt similar cases would be so clear cut. Without a paper trail clearly demonstrating that the candidate was deliberately lying, it is nearly impossible to prove. The next candidate to engage in a smear campaign will simply use a phone call to avoid leaving evidence.

You would have civilized and cheaper elections. All the money used on false attack adds would poof :)

No they wouldn't. They would just play the interpretation game.For example one politician might smear another who is against illegal immigration and say he is a racist and bigot. Then when he called out on those blatant lies he will just say that his interpretation of a racist and bigot includes those against illegal immigration.

Last edited:
Lib Dem support has fallen into single digit when before it wasn't. That is a very steep drop. Voters have left, councillors and MP's have defected to other parties.
Lib Dems unpopularity is because they have to voters been seen to have left their roots, they have sided with the Conservatives and to Lib Dem Voters have abandoned some of their key pledges.

But the LibDems would have had to side with somebody in order for Parliament to have a majority to make a government, wouldn't they? What's wrong with the LibDems siding with the Conservatives instead of with Labour?

But the LibDems would have had to side with somebody in order for Parliament to have a majority to make a government, wouldn't they? What's wrong with the LibDems siding with the Conservatives instead of with Labour?

That it is going to cost them big time at the next elections. Plus they have more in common with Labour than the Conservatives.

The concept of lying about your opponent to gain advantage, or of being made lawfully accountable for your lies?

The idea that you or anyone else should be able to subvert the democratic process by claiming that someone's political speech crossed an arbitrary line.

The idea that you or anyone else should be able to subvert the democratic process by claiming that someone's political speech crossed an arbitrary line.

I think the arbitrary line is not to arbitrary, I would hope it would have to pass a test similar to a libel lawsuit, or breach of contract

I think the arbitrary line is not to arbitrary, I would hope it would have to pass a test similar to a libel lawsuit, or breach of contract

I believe that is the basis of the law/rule. It is political libel/slander and in this case with actual proof of it. That was after all what doomed him.. he left a paper trail that anyone could follow.

That "line" is the law. The Courts had sufficent evidence because of his paper trail and damning emails where he wanted to anger/scare Whites to vote for him.

He deserved it, he ought to be on his knees kissing the shoes of those Judges for the fact he wasn't thrown in jail.

How is this even remotely like a breach of contract? If someone wants to sue him for libel, let them.

Moreover, what makes you think that the line for this or libel isn't arbitrary? Can you tell me with certainty and objectivity whether or not something constitutes libel?

That "line" is the law. The Courts had sufficent evidence because of his paper trail and damning emails where he wanted to anger/scare Whites to vote for him.

He deserved it, he ought to be on his knees kissing the shoes of those Judges for the fact he wasn't thrown in jail.

The fact that you think lying about your political opponents (or even libel) should be a criminal offense is equally disturbing.

Last edited:
The fact that you think lying about your political opponents (or even libel) should be a criminal offense is equally disturbing.

What I find disturbing is that you and others seem to accept that it is okay for anyone, let alone a person trying to gain a position of power, to lie... .. Is that really what US politics has come down too... the better liar?

That anyone can accept that it is okay for a candidate in any type of election to use fear and lies (not to mention racism) in a power grab... is frankly shocking. It should be the duty of anyone (especially the media) to expose such persons for who they are, and make sure they never ever win.

Sadly I admit that it does happen more than I would like, that candidates are successful in using such dishonourable tactics get elected, but that does not mean I (or anyone should), just sit back accept it and/or try to do the same for ones own candidate. We have to protect democracy and the integrity of the process as much as possible.

What I find disturbing is that you and others seem to accept that it is okay for anyone, let alone a person trying to gain a position of power, to lie...

If you think that's what I said, you should reread my posts.

Hint:

"I don't think X should be a criminal offense" =/= "I think X is awesome and everyone should do it."

Last edited:
What I find disturbing is that you and others seem to accept that it is okay for anyone, let alone a person trying to gain a position of power, to lie... .. Is that really what US politics has come down too... the better liar?

That anyone can accept that it is okay for a candidate in any type of election to use fear and lies (not to mention racism) in a power grab... is frankly shocking. It should be the duty of anyone (especially the media) to expose such persons for who they are, and make sure they never ever win.

Sadly I admit that it does happen more than I would like, that candidates are successful in using such dishonourable tactics get elected, but that does not mean I (or anyone should), just sit back accept it and/or try to do the same for ones own candidate. We have to protect democracy and the integrity of the process as much as possible.

So you support making lying a criminal offense. Got it.

So you support making lying a criminal offense. Got it.

If you mean lying and smearing your opponent leads directly to you winning seats. Yes.

That bastard thought it was funny to use race and stir up hate to get his seat. His ass got knocked down. As I said, he ought to be on his knees kissing those judges feet for being so soft with him

Last edited:
And you people have the nerve to criticize the US for violations of rights. Hoo-boy.

"FREEDOM! (To do stuff we approve of!)"

:lamo

This is sooo the same as torturing. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom