• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MP critically injured

This is numbing stuff, can't believe some low-life would stab and shoot an innocent on the street like this.

There are conflicting eye witness accounts - one says she and her PA got involved in a fight between two men and the other makes it seem she was deliberately targeted. Either way, poor woman is critical in hospital after several stab wounds and a shot to the face.

Absolutely tragic. RIP.

Local man named as Tommy Mair. Police are not looking for anyone else, in connection.

Quiet little Yorkshire village, seems to have been a very popular MP and made quite an impact in her one year in Parliament.

Glad to read all referendum campaigning has stopped in respect.

A tragedy indeed. You see all the security surrounding the bigwigs and around parliament, and forget that your local MP comes home and meets their constituents alone in their local office, o the street, or as I think in this case the library. RIP.
If the report I heard, that the killer was shouting "Britain first!" as he stabbed her is true, then there could be a reaction to the UKIP/Brexit xenophobic racism.

So sad, so very sad. A nice compassionate woman who now was killed so brutally in the streets of Birstal. I especially feel for her husband and 2 children.

Terrible.

My heart goes out to her family.

I don't think we should read too much into the shouting of "Britain First". I've argued that someone shouting "Allahu akhbar!" isn't necessarily a jihadi. This guy isn't necessarily a fascist or a Brexiter. Let's just wait until we have more evidence. In the meantime, let's just pay respect to a woman who clearly dedicated herself to helping others. Very sad indeed.

Both official groups in the EU referendum campaign—Britain Stronger in Europe and Vote Leave—said they had suspended campaigning activities for Thursday and Friday.

Attacker Kills U.K. Lawmaker, Throws Brexit Debate Into Disarray - WSJ

WTF.

One criminal act and they shut down one of the most important campaigns in Europe in a generation??!! This is what victim culture comes to folks, and it is pathetic. Letting evil doers dictate our actions, in this case directing them against ourselves, is as dumb as dumb gets.

Last edited:
You never heard of the phrase "a mark of respect?" That's why campaigning was suspended.

Important life actions cant stop because someone does, the living have to go on living, and we best do it as well as possible, in spite of the dead.

My argument stands.

This is idiotic

Important life actions cant stop because someone does, the living have to go on living, and we best do it as well as possible, in spite of the dead.

My argument stands.

This is idiotic

No, just shows you don't understand what a respectful pause in the fray means.

No, just shows you don't understand what a respectful pause in the fray means.

Oh I do, I am just arguing that we cant always afford it.

This is a big deal this vote , and the citizens are being cheated during their time of deliberations.

Because someone was killed.

SAD.

This is a big deal this vote , and the citizens are being cheated during their time of deliberations.

SAD.

I don't think you understand, 1) campaigning was suspended because of our respect for a promising and much liked politician's murder and 2) we were spared a day of unchallenged lies.

As many people including her rivals have commented, she was one of the good ones.

I don't think you understand, 1) campaigning was suspended because of our respect for a promising and much liked politician's murder and 2) we were spared a day of unchallenged lies.

As many people including her rivals have commented, she was one of the good ones.

If the work that is getting dumped is not important then fine, otherwise this is dumb, it is harmful to the collective for a not good enough reason. People die all the time, people get killed all the time, the important work still needs to get done.

If the dead person had any sense they would have said the same thing.

Last edited:
A witness said that the attacker "was seen and heard ranting 'Britain First'" during the incident. Although it claims to have just 6,000 members, Britain First now has more than 1.4 million “likes” on Facebook. The shooter may be an online supporter or Facebook fan of Britain First. The Labour MP was famous for cerebrating diversity of her northern England constituency and the shooter has been harassing Jo Cox for many months. The shooter is also known locally as a loner with a history of mental illness.

In her first speech on the Parliament floor last year, Cox celebrated immigration and diversity, praised her home community as a picturesque manufacturing hub and said she looked forward to passionately championing continued EU membership. She closed by saying, "I am proud that I was made in Yorkshire and I am proud of the things we make in Yorkshire. Britain should be proud of that, too. I look forward to representing the great people of Batley and Spen here over the next five years."
British Member Of Parliament Shot And Killed; Suspect Arrested : The Two-Way : NPR

Last edited:
A witness said that the attacker "was seen and heard ranting 'Britain First'" during the incident. Although it claims to have just 6,000 members, Britain First now has more than 1.4 million “likes” on Facebook. The shooter may be an online supporter or Facebook fan of Britain First. The Labour MP was famous for cerebrating diversity of her northern England constituency and the shooter has been harassing Jo Cox for many months. The shooter is also known locally as a loner with a history of mental illness.

Well there you go, maybe we can get some crazy to go stand in front of a train and then use that as an excuse to shut everything down for two days. How far are we going to take this refusal to look out for ourselves because we need to take a crying break?

Seriously.

Well there you go, maybe we can get some crazy to go stand in front of a train and then use that as an excuse to shut everything down for two days. How far are we going to take this refusal to look out for ourselves because we need to take a crying break?

Seriously.

You are applying US values to a situation in Great Britain. That is inappropriate and out of context.

Attacker Kills U.K. Lawmaker, Throws Brexit Debate Into Disarray - WSJ

WTF.

One criminal act and they shut down one of the most important campaigns in Europe in a generation??!! This is what victim culture comes to folks, and it is pathetic. Letting evil doers dictate our actions, in this case directing them against ourselves, is as dumb as dumb gets.

No, they killed a member of parliament, one of their own, a high profile campaigner for the Stay camp. To stop campaigning for 1 night is not going to do anything except remember and honor the memory of Jo Cox. And it also takes away the risk of politicizing her tragic death by either camp.

My argument stands.

This is idiotic

Important life actions do not stop because of her death, the campaigns will resume, the vote will take place, a decision will be made. Nothing stopped by the 2 campaigns postponing a few events, all it did was show that even in the heated debate between different parts of the UK political world/parliament, there is still a modicum of decency and respect.

Something you seem to want to ignore, they have values and you arguments does not stand.

This is decency and to think people should just move on at the day of the murder is something that just boggles the mind.

SAD.

1. you can always afford it, decency knows no bounds IMHO.

2. the vote is a big deal but as both camps did not campaign nothing changes, people can still deliberate. This campaign has been going for weeks, one day does not change a thing.

3. not someone was killed, an MP was killed, one of their own. A friend, colleague, mother and an person who was a strong voice in the campaign. This is about respect, and I think the UK voters/public respects the choice of both campaigns.

And yes, it is sad that empathy and respect is viewed so negatively.

according to what I am reading from Dutch news sources, the man who is suspected of having done this murder, had a subscription to the South African magazine "S.A. Patriot" a magazine that supports Apartheid.

The Daily Mail reports "that Documents obtained from a US far-right group show a 1999 receipt for a manual on how to build a homemade gun with Mr Mair’s name and address on the top.".

Sadly this man seems to be a racist if everything that is being reported is true.

Back
Top Bottom