• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Movies of the Cold War

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I'd like you all to list your favorite movies concerning the Cold War.

Mine is "Russkies" which starred Joaquin Phoenix when he was just a kid.

"Doctor Strangelove" comes right to mind.

Oh, and a different kind of Cold War related movie, "Desert Rose".

Another quick thought, "On the Beach".

"The Manchurian Candidate." The one with Sinatra and Angela Landsbury.

Oh yes! That was a very good film.

There is an argument to be made that "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was a cold war inspired movie.

Oh yes! That was a very good film.

There is an argument to be made that "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was a cold war inspired movie.

Yeah, it definitely is.

Also worthy of mention is "Thirteen Days," with Kevin Costner, which concerned the Cuban Missile Crisis. I don't think any movie can be more about the Cold War except one that depicts when and why it almost went hot.

Damn good movie its pretty much like Russia's saving private ryan. Its the Soviet/Afghanistan war told from the Soviet side. Its all in Russian so you gotta read some subtitles. I would strongly recommend it..

Fail-Safe is a 1964 film directed by Sidney Lumet, based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler. It tells the story of a fictional Cold War nuclear crisis. The film features an all star cast, including Henry Fonda, Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau, Frank Overton, and early appearances by Fritz Weaver, Dom DeLuise and Larry Hagman.

I am compelled to watch that movie whenever it's on a premium channel.

As am I. Sean Connery, Scottish accent and all. Great story telling.

As am I. Sean Connery, Scottish accent and all. Great story telling.

"Tell me Captain, do you schhhttill like to fiiishhhhh?"-end movie

"Tell me Captain, do you schhhttill like to fiiishhhhh?"-end movie

Bravo! Perfect transcription of his accent. :) I loved when he was speaking Russian in the beginning of the film and wonder if it sounds as affected. :)

War games:

The Mouse That Roared:

Not sure these are the finest examples and I wouldn't exactly call them my favorites, but they both seem to have a bit of the cold war in them.

War games:

Embarrassed admission, I do enjoy that film, not my favorite, but it's still a good watch. :) Also Matthew Broderick, pre-Ferris Bueller.

here is a classic...

Thinking about this some more, "Stripes".

One of dozens of my favorites scenes in this movie:

07112011143334.png
i like crimson tide:2razz: mr hackman good film.

mikeey

Last edited:
james bond series...

Miracle Mile......

Back
Top Bottom