• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Movies from Your Youth

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
somewhere across the border in the great North
Political Leaning
Liberal
What movie traumatized you as a kid?

For me it was The Haunting.

This scene in particular was memorable:

I don't know if I could watch it all these years later.

Hmm... I would say one scene from a largely forgettable film freaked me out for awhile, I mean Mousehunt came out in 1997, I was pretty young at the time and this scene, when I look back on it, just ****ing mental, I mean think about the production meeting for just a second.

"Yo so we've got this hilarious scene where this dude eats cockroaches and its implied it ****ing kills him and we intend to put this in a kids movie where thousands of people will be chowing down on popcorn in a dark room".

I didn't have popcorn for ages after this.

Saw this in the movie house first run. Dates, me I know...why I took up motorcycling. Visual and audio still stirring after all these years. Theme from the original Magnificent Seven was same composer and almost as good.

EDIT: this was "from my youth", but was not traumatizing

I did not step foot inside a movie theater till I was 12 so the pickings are slim, but I go with The Omen.

Made in 1948, a year before I was born, not only was this my favorite movie as a "youth," it still is my favorite movie, except for maybe the Searcher, and the Quiet Man.

I was never traumatized by any of them, but BTW, if ever I or anyone else were punched like that in real life, none of us are getting up. :)

And a Marquess of Queensbury rules to you all. :lamo

Saw this in a theater with my friend Steve Hatch in 1971.

My friend had seen it before, he said "everyone is bald and there is a lot of white."

About 40 minutes into it an old man who was sitting behind us stood up, shook his fist at the screen and shouted, "This is just a bunch of CRAP!" and stormed out, wife in tow. :D

I can't say I understood it at the time, even at the very last scene where it all makes sense.

I took my screen name "Thx" from it, it is usually available at forums and also says "thanks."

Thx :)

Last edited:
" Candyman "

I had a fear in being in front of a mirror for a short time after watching the movie.

"Spartacus"

I'm not old enough to have seen it in theaters but it used to be shown on TV a lot, and some family members loved it. Scared me to death, left me sleepless.

Made in 1948, a year before I was born, not only was this my favorite movie as a "youth," it still is my favorite movie, except for maybe the Searcher, and the Quiet Man.

I was never traumatized by any of them, but BTW, if ever I or anyone else were punched like that in real life, none of us are getting up. :)

And a Marquess of Queensbury rules to you all. :lamo

Alrighty now, a John Wayne fan :thumbsup:

In answer to the OP, don't believe I've ever been traumatized by a move, knew right from the start they ain't real.

For me it was the old, very old Bella Lugosi Dracula, Boris Karloff, Frankenstein, Lon Cheney's Wolfman and Christopher Lee's Mummy and Dracula. Christopher Lee to me was the ideal, ultimate Dracula. Great old flicks.

"Spartacus"

I'm not old enough to have seen it in theaters but it used to be shown on TV a lot, and some family members loved it. Scared me to death, left me sleepless.

Kirk Douglas & Tony Curtis? I watched that a lot on TV as well.

For me it was the old, very old Bella Lugosi Dracula, Boris Karloff, Frankenstein, Lon Cheney's Wolfman and Christopher Lee's Mummy and Dracula. Christopher Lee to me was the ideal, ultimate Dracula. Great old flicks.

I remember one of those with Jack Nicholson when he was like 20.

I remember one of those with Jack Nicholson when he was like 20.

Yeah, "The Terror." Jack played a Napoleonic Soldier. Boris Karloff was the reason I watched it and still do. Karloff was natural spooky.

Other movies were 'The Thing from another world," which was remade into just "The Thing." Location changed from North Pole to Antarctica. Kirk Russell was in that second one. there were a ton of movies where radiation made big monsters, from spiders to tarantulas, to rabbits, grasshoppers, gila monsters, dinosaurs coming back to life, rats, you name it, radiation made them big.

I loved everyone of them.

"Spartacus"

23 stupid school boys standing up saying, "I'm Spartacus," all end up in the Principal's office together, waiting for their parents. Nobody I know. :doh :stooges :hitsfan:

Alrighty now, a John Wayne fan :thumbsup:

In answer to the OP, don't believe I've ever been traumatized by a move, knew right from the start they ain't real.

Pink Flamingos horrified me, but I was an adult when I saw it.

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry

The ending was traumatic.

The rest of the movie only messed with my hormones for a decade.

The Blob made an impression on me as a kid, it made me love monster movies!

Every Friday and Saturday night they had the classic monster movies, those were great nights and my dad made the best pizza in the world!

Thx :)

This one always stuck with me. It just taught that love, while knowing no bounds, also has to be something you're willing to accept, even in the face of loss.

:

Wizard of Oz.

Damned Monkeys.

I saw A Nightmare on Elm Street and the Hellraiser series when I was 9 (c. 2001) and it didn't scare me as much as the scene in Blade when they take the Vampire royalty into the sun and burn him alive for some reason. I also saw Poltergeist when I was 1 and had nightmares about the "Storm Tree" eating my mom until I was about 4, but nothing else about the film scared me. I guess I'm just not easily scared.

REAL things like corrupt governments and police scare the living daylights out of me though.

Back
Top Bottom