• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Movie Suggestions

Frozengale

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So I've basically let most if not many movies just pass me by because I rarely have an interest in movies. Until the past year or so I've started to get really in to them and I'm looking for some really good stuff to watch, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions.

Here's a list of movies that I've recently watched and loved to help you see what things I like

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World (Probably my favorite movie to date)
Coraline
Edward Scissorhands
Watchmen
Kick-Ass
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
Sweeny Todd
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption

Stuff like this. I mean I guess if I had to put flesh it out more, I like things with a darker tone, good fight scenes are a big plus but not a must, and anything that is hilarious or just plain epic. (I like funny things but not crude humor, crude humor usually gets really annoying really fast)

So thanks, anything you can suggest would be nice

I liked Sweeney Todd.
Shawshank Redemption, though...? Terrible.
I liked the story alright, but not the movie.

robin hood

Star Trek 2
Star Trek 6
Star Trek: 2010
The Heist
Dumb and Dumber
Airplane!
The Game
Anne of Green Gables

and many more but Im to tired to think of.

I've been into DC Comics movies recently... here are some I watched that I liked:

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths
Superman: Doomsday (this one is famous because superman gets killed in it, but I won't tell you how)
Batman: Under the Red Hood

Of those, the first one was my favorite because it features the story of Super Girl, and Wonder Woman kicks some serious butt in it.

Props for this one.

You should read the graphic novel if you haven't.

Fight Club

This is another where you should really read the book.

Going off what you said I think here are some films you should watch if you haven't:

Sin City (kind of the same nitty-gritty dark humor action you have with Watchmen)
28 Days Later
The Last Man on Earth (1964)
30 Days of Night
Pan's Labyrinth (the story is not too deep but stylistically it is a very good movie)
No Country for Old Men
Gran Torino
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp movie)
Corpse Bride (Johnny Depp movie)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Death Proof
How to Train Your Dragon (mainly suggested because it is one of the few Dreamworks animated films that is not founded entirely upon pop culture references and toilet humor)

Star Wars- All of them. I mean if you haven't seem them yet slap yourself in the face, and go watch them now.
Schindlers List
Inglorious Bastards
Dinner for Schmucks
The Other Guys
Anchorman The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Superbad
SlapShot

I would recommend taking your list of favorite movies and plugging it into Netflix. (If you're into movies and you aren't already a member, become one). IMO, their algorithms can probably give you a much better idea of other movies that you'd like than we can.

Inception was good. Here is a list of a few off the top of my head that I really enjoyed.

1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. Labyrinth (the one with david bowie)
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Clockwork Orange (I think the movie was better than the book)
5. Starship Troopers (again, I think the movie was better than the book)
6. Hairspray
7. Dark City
8. The 80s transformers movie
9. What's eating gilbert grape
10. 7 Samurai
11. Blade Runner (the book was better imho, but the movie is still good)
12. Citizen Kane
13. Evil Dead Series / Army of Darkness
14. Metropolis
15. Shogun (1980 tv miniseries)

Last edited:
Fifth Element.

It is funny without trying too hard, a little campy without being over the top, has the greatest operatic alien fight scenes ever recorded, has some terrific characters, and you get to see Milla Jovovich nekkid.

What's not to love?

So I've basically let most if not many movies just pass me by because I rarely have an interest in movies. Until the past year or so I've started to get really in to them and I'm looking for some really good stuff to watch, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions.

Here's a list of movies that I've recently watched and loved to help you see what things I like

Coraline
Edward Scissorhands
Watchmen
Kick-Ass
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
Sweeny Todd
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption

Stuff like this. I mean I guess if I had to put flesh it out more, I like things with a darker tone, good fight scenes are a big plus but not a must, and anything that is hilarious or just plain epic. (I like funny things but not crude humor, crude humor usually gets really annoying really fast)

So thanks, anything you can suggest would be nice

I'm betting you have seen this already, but,

You mentioned Shawshank. Try Green Mile

Seven Samurai-In fact, it just came out on Blu-ray this week. You may be able to find it on DVD in your local video rentals if they carry Criterion Collection films.

In line with Coraline-try something kind of imaginative. It wasn't my thing, but you may like it. The Secret of Kells

The Pianist, Life is Beautiful, Chinatown, Cinema Paradiso, Dr. Strangelove.

If you're just looking to be entertained, two relatively recent documentaries that are awesome and really fun are King of Kong: a Fistful of Quarters, and Darkon (about live action role players)

Chasing Amy - Kevin Smith is a genius
Office Space - a soon to be classic
Smart People - a sleeper but well worth the watch
Raising Arizona - The Cohen Brothers when they first started out and it's the best of their movies for just sheer entertainment
Idiocracy - A Mike Judge movie - campy yet with eerie foreshadowing
Zombieland - just fun zombie killing mayhem
She's out of your league - A modern romantic comedy with the homely guy and the insanely hot girl

Honorable mentions:

The Road - very intense
Meatballs - the 1979 original with Bill Murray
Groundhog Day, Caddy Shack, Animal House, Stripes --- hard to go wrong with Bill Murray movies
Blade Runner - Classic Ridley Scott
Treasure of Sierra Madre
All Clint Eastwood western & Dirty Harry movies

Related to that: Metropolis (the classic) is getting a new blu-ray release in a couple of months. :D

Back
Top Bottom