• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MoveOn.org 2020 Prez Poll

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Moveon.org , a very influential organization within the Democratic Party, has taken a poll of its membership and among those who responded, here are the results of the top ten vote getters:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...s-moveon-2020-presidential-straw-poll-n946501

Here are the top 10 finishers in the MoveOn straw poll:

Someone else/DK/other: 28.8 percent
Beto O’Rourke: 15.6 percent
Joe Biden: 14.9 percent
Bernie Sanders: 13.1 percent
Kamala Harris: 10 percent
Elizabeth Warren: 6.4 percent
Sherrod Brown: 2.9 percent
Amy Klobuchar: 2.8 percent
Michael Bloomberg: 2.7 percent
Cory Booker: 2.6 percent

Keep in mind that O'Rourke only came upon the national scene this year and was virtually unknown outside of Texas. His meteoric rise certainly is something to keep your eye upon.

For those on the right who fantasize about running against Hillary Clinton one more time - note that she did NOT finish in the top ten. If anybody did vote for her - she obviously polled less than two and a half percent.

Clinton is done. Finished. Over. Yesterdays News among democrats in Moveon.org.

Moveon.org , a very influential organization within the Democratic Party, has taken a poll of its membership and among those who responded, here are the results of the top ten vote getters:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...s-moveon-2020-presidential-straw-poll-n946501

Keep in mind that O'Rourke only came upon the national scene this year and was virtually unknown outside of Texas. His meteoric rise certainly is something to keep your eye upon.

For those on the right who fantasize about running against Hillary Clinton one more time - note that she did NOT finish in the top ten. If anybody did vote for her - she obviously polled less than two and a half percent.

beto? isnt that the idiot who couldnt even beat ted "the alien" cruz?

lol (laugh out loud) i hope this poll is accurate. another easier win for trump.

I kinda like that "DK" guy - and he's a front runner. :2rofll:

I'm kind of surprised to see Donna Karen getting such a large percentage of the vote. I really never knew she was politically inclined but with all the #MeToo and anti-Trump stuff I guess it's not that surprising to see another NY celeb hit the political trail.

Looks like the Dems need to keep searching.

beto? isnt that the idiot who couldnt even beat ted "the alien" cruz?

lol (laugh out loud) i hope this poll is accurate. another easier win for trump.

I bet some wags back in 1860 said the same thing about that tall lanky guy who lost a senate race in Illinois in 1858 against an incumbent senator. Whatever happened to that loser?

If you know anything about politics, a democratic running in Texas against an incumbent Republican Senator in a non-presidential year was a huge task and a likely bridge too far as the numbers and history and political make-up of Texas is simply not in the cards for a Democrat.

I know that.
MoveOn.org knows that.
Most fair observers of the political game know that.

Do you know that?

I think once people get to know the real Beto as a moderate masquerading as a progressive, his star will fall. He doesn't fool me.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/12/what-does-beto-orourke-actually-stand-for

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...t-progressive-enough-1207-20181206-story.html

Last edited:
About what you'd expect from a "progressive" organization like MoveOn. 90% of the vote goes to the white candidates.

Not very representative of the party as a whole.

I think once people get to know the real Beto as a moderate masquerading as a progressive, his star will fall. He doesn't fool me.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/12/what-does-beto-orourke-actually-stand-for

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...t-progressive-enough-1207-20181206-story.html

True but the DNC will push him if he runs. They want a very young candidate that can appeal to the republicans that wont vote for Trump. They want a very centrist candidate in 2020.

True but the DNC will push him if he runs. They want a very young candidate that can appeal to the republicans that wont vote for Trump. They want a very centrist candidate in 2020.

Beto will be over 50 by then. That young enough?

I was so hoping for Ms. Cortez. [ooppps too young]

Last edited:

The main goal for most in 2020 is to beat Trump. So to do that the nominee has to be likeable, young and energetic. Nobody is going to care one iota if that person is progressive, moderate or another celebrity. All they will care about is can he/she win enough electoral votes to beat Trump? Democrats know they can win the coastal areas but they need those interior midwest states. Sanders did well in 2016 primaries there but likely is too old for 2020. So they will look to somebody that can win over the heartland so to speak. Beto, if he runs, fills in those checkmarks. Progressives will be peeved but its not like the DNC cares, they made that abundantly clear several times. Winning trumps ideology on both sides.

The main goal for most in 2020 is to beat Trump. So to do that the nominee has to be likeable, young and energetic. Nobody is going to care one iota if that person is progressive, moderate or another celebrity. All they will care about is can he/she win enough electoral votes to beat Trump? Democrats know they can win the coastal areas but they need those interior midwest states. Sanders did well in 2016 primaries there but likely is too old for 2020. So they will look to somebody that can win over the heartland so to speak. Beto, if he runs, fills in those checkmarks. Progressives will be peeved but its not like the DNC cares, they made that abundantly clear several times. Winning trumps ideology on both sides.

Again, as stated earlier, Ojeda is the superior candidate if they actually care about winning and the electoral map, and Biden and Bernie are assumed to be too old by 2020. Naturally however, the DNC and establishment won't throw in with him because he's a populist progressive and anathema to the status quo they're so comfortable with. This is unmistakable when the sheer cognitive dissonance/Orwellian double think of such people is on full display as they discount Ojeda for his riding loss while giving Beto a complete pass and even praise him for how close he came despite the former's accomplishments being significantly more impressive.

In fact Beto's alignment with the establishment, his relative lack of charisma (he's got it, but Ojeda has it in spades), and his character as a more diplomatic Obama like figure when we need a fighter is precisely why he's not a particularly impressive candidate for the general; these are all very dangerous attributes to carry into the running for the POTUS

Last edited:
Again, as stated earlier, Ojeda is the superior candidate if they actually care about winning and the electoral map, and Biden and Bernie are assumed to be too old by 2020. Naturally however, the DNC and establishment won't throw in with him because he's a populist progressive and anathema to the status quo they're so comfortable with. This is unmistakable when the sheer cognitive dissonance/Orwellian double think of such people is on full display as they discount Ojeda for his riding loss while giving Beto a complete pass and even praising him for how close he came despite the former's accomplishments being significantly more impressive.

In fact Beto's alignment with the establishment, his relative lack of charisma, and his character as a more diplomatic Obama like figure when we need a fighter is precisely why he's not a particularly impressive candidate for the general; these are all very dangerous attributes to carry into the running for the POTUS

I knew we were in some trouble in 2016 when democrats bowed out of running for president. It should have been a huge year for both parties as neither had an incumbent. Both sides should have had 15 at least running. Yet all the big names announced on the dem side waited for Hillary. I knew that would end badly. Now in 2020 if by mid January we start seeing dems saying no, not running, look out for the DNC chosen candidate to emerge. That could mean trouble. I am concerned the choice could be a very moderate candidate which could push away the progressives. If the Green party every came up with a decent formidable candidate, look out.

I knew we were in some trouble in 2016 when democrats bowed out of running for president. It should have been a huge year for both parties as neither had an incumbent. Both sides should have had 15 at least running. Yet all the big names announced on the dem side waited for Hillary. I knew that would end badly. Now in 2020 if by mid January we start seeing dems saying no, not running, look out for the DNC chosen candidate to emerge. That could mean trouble. I am concerned the choice could be a very moderate candidate which could push away the progressives. If the Green party every came up with a decent formidable candidate, look out.

The rumour was that Bernie only stepped in because Elizabeth Warren didn't, and no one else would; I buy it wholly.

And yes, the DNC is absolutely going to try and 'pick a winner' that is in lockstep with establishment views as it did before, and it's going to turn out badly unless it disabuses itself of this asinine kingmaker delusion and instead aligns with the actual best candidate after the primaries are over rather than attempting to tip the scales throughout.

Robert Francis O'Rourke was born in September of 1972. That would make him 48 at the time of the 2020 election.

Robert Francis O'Rourke was born in September of 1972. That would make him 48 at the time of the 2020 election.

Sorry I had heard he was 49. Might want to run Gillum instead. [another near miss]

Sorry I had heard he was 49. Might want to run Gillum instead. [another near miss]

I suspect O'Rourke is far far far more electable than Gillum is.

It has been discussed for long enough that it is wise for Democrats to look beyond Clinton with all her baggage trying to run yet again.

The reality is Democrats have an opportunity here to make Trump a one term President, what the polling suggests is looking to these other candidates as potentials to do so. Biden, Sanders, and Warren may be too polarizing with their own baggage to pull this off. O'Rourke is not a terrible choice but he also supported Clinton in 2016.

What I do find interesting is the poll leader is "Someone else/DK/other" by a large margin.

In looking at sources covering MoveOn.org, they are of the opinion that the results suggest a few things. Primarily that supporters of MoveOn.org are not too terribly happy with the lot looking to run for 2020, but also that Sanders is not as popular as he once was within MoveOn.org. There is evidence of that as in 2016 MoveOn.org put their support behind Sanders and ultimately he lost to Clinton largely due to Democratic shenanigans ensuring she won the nomination. It stands to reason that various organizations that lean left became upset with how Democrats conducted the 2016 primary given what Sanders was able to pull off. The only headwinds being various far left organizations that seemed to disrupt or protest just about everyone left or right.

But this was all to the point that the party revisited how they handle super-delegates, changing when they vote. Which is all even more evidence we have that Democrats have moved away from Clinton and MoveOn.org has moved away from Sanders.

I would agree that Republicans suggesting Clinton run again is nothing more than opportunism, placing a horrible candidate against their horrible President and repeating 2016.

Bottom line is Democrats needs a new name to rally behind, and one that can bring in a few moderates and Independents. Might end up being a tall order.

It has been discussed for long enough that it is wise for Democrats to look beyond Clinton with all her baggage trying to run yet again.

The reality is Democrats have an opportunity here to make Trump a one term President, what the polling suggests is looking to these other candidates as potentials to do so. Biden, Sanders, and Warren may be too polarizing with their own baggage to pull this off. O'Rourke is not a terrible choice but he also supported Clinton in 2016.

What I do find interesting is the poll leader is "Someone else/DK/other" by a large margin.

In looking at sources covering MoveOn.org, they are of the opinion that the results suggest a few things. Primarily that supporters of MoveOn.org are not too terribly happy with the lot looking to run for 2020, but also that Sanders is not as popular as he once was within MoveOn.org. There is evidence of that as in 2016 MoveOn.org put their support behind Sanders and ultimately he lost to Clinton largely due to Democratic shenanigans ensuring she won the nomination. It stands to reason that various organizations that lean left became upset with how Democrats conducted the 2016 primary given what Sanders was able to pull off. The only headwinds being various far left organizations that seemed to disrupt or protest just about everyone left or right.

But this was all to the point that the party revisited how they handle super-delegates, changing when they vote. Which is all even more evidence we have that Democrats have moved away from Clinton and MoveOn.org has moved away from Sanders.

I would agree that Republicans suggesting Clinton run again is nothing more than opportunism, placing a horrible candidate against their horrible President and repeating 2016.

Bottom line is Democrats needs a new name to rally behind, and one that can bring in a few moderates and Independents. Might end up being a tall order.

First, I agree with your final conclusion - the Dems need a new name to rally behind and one that gan bring in moderates and Independents. And so far it looks to me like Robert Francis O'Rourke fits that bill to a large extent.

Yes, he supported Clinton - as did lots and lots and lots of Dems so that will mean nothing on the negative side in 2020.

I think you are right that Bernie is sliding down in support and I suspect its a combination of increasing age as well as just plain over saturation. People want a fresh face.

And I also suspect that after four years of the worst president of all time in Trump, Dems will be more than willing to take half a loaf rather than split hairs and go to war as they often do fighting for the perfect good. Which makes a moderate to progressive like O'Rourke all the more inevitable.

If I had to place MoveOn somewhere on the political spectrum, it would be an awkward twilight between progressives and centrists; not entirely aligned with either the establishment or the emergent Bernie wing.

I do think though, that once Beto's more conservative/centrist nature becomes more apparent after having been largely glossed over by most media outlets, that he will fall off in favourability with them. There are definitely better, more compelling choices, even assuming a fresh face is needed (again Ojeda).

Further, I do think it's a bad idea, if not a fatal mistake, to try to move towards the so-called 'center' as that's factually just not where voters collectively or independents specifically are at if you engage in anything beyond the most superficial analysis: looking at their priorities and desires on a policy basis, they are truly aligned with the progressive wing. Democrats have been playing to the centre for decades, and that's the playbook that saw them routed from every chamber of government just now.

Joe and Beto scoring higher than Bernie? That is surprising. For what it's worth, I am hoping Bernie will run again

Get them all on a stage and talking. We should use the primaries and debates to let the best rise to the top. The best people, the best platform ideas. Have faith in the process. We should not be selecting a winner this far in the future. That sort of happened with clinton and the gop had years to tear into her with all tools available including the House investigatory powers.

In order to beat Trump we'll need a candidate with a compelling and genuine personality. While I was on the Kamala Harris bandwagon in the past, I can't help but recognize that O'Rourke has the kind of character needed to appeal to the broadest slice of the public. His time is now, and he needs to take advantage of it while the momentum is still on his side.

Back
Top Bottom