• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Move Over, Andrew Jackson. Harriet Tubman Is Coming to the $20 Bill.

Aren't all old retired bills collectibles? I always keep and save, for example, silver certs when I find them.

However I'd say at the same time that there's almost no collectible bills that are substantially worth more than their face value.
Even rare century-old bills are basically face value + $2.

Old notes and coins aren't the type of collectible that is in short supply.
You have to go very far back in time, or find something truly unique (like a misprint) to have anything of value.

no they are not.
why? there have been so many of them produced that they are pretty much only worth face value.

silver and gold certificates are worth money because most of them were either turned in or lost.
however they have to be a rare find to be worth more than a few dollars.

they also have to be pretty much in mint state.

You don't know anything about Eleanor Roosevelt, do you?

She used her position as first lady to help further the rights and freedoms of blacks in the USA.

She's be 100% in favor of Harriet Tubman being given the honor.

I have no problem with her.
I think she is the best choice if they are going to put a women on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/women-currency-treasury-harriet-tubman.html?_r=0

Harriet Tubman to Appear on $20 Bill, while 'Hamilton' Popularity Keeps Founding Father on $10

WASHINGTON — “The Treasury Department will announce on Wednesday afternoon that Harriet Tubman, an African-American who ferried thousands of slaves to freedom, will replace the slaveholding Andrew Jackson on the center of a new $20 note, according to a Treasury official, while newly popular Alexander Hamilton will remain on the face of the $10 bill……………….

………………. But in the months of taking public comments on what woman he should pick, Mr. Lew evidently bowed to the Broadway-stoked popularity of the $10 bill’s current star, Alexander Hamilton………..

Save them Hamilton bills…………Some say they will be collectibles……….

The better idea is to remove pictures of historical people, and replace them with pictures of the land. Feeding the PC world is a fools errand.

Good. Jackson was a tool with only 2 good moments: temporarily sticking it to Calhoun and expanding the voter pool.

Ocean515

A solid suggestion,, If they do use her face, I hope they can find a more flattering picture.. She was not saying "Cheeeese" in that one..

djl

She is not a woman who happens to be black.

if she wasn't black they wouldn't have considered her.

REALLY...........Can you prove that?

I think not...........

So why did you say that?

Don't horde your Hamiltons. Tubman won't appear until after 2030.

No one pays with cash NOW. Oh well, I guess that wasnt the point

Whatever.

They could put Homer Simpson on the bill for all I care.

Actually.......

I know everything about Eleanor Roosevelt: I have lots o' books on historical subjects. She was a great lady. The biggest and best of the 20th century, and a very tough chick. She was wonderful. I would have gone for MLK on the twenty, but the political angle with Harriet Tubman and the Oscars etc etc, is what pisses me off about it. A woman! Should'a been Roosevelt.

Riiiight.

You're just so outraged over the 'political angle' of Tubman over Roosevelt.

People just don't want a black person on the money, evidently. Oh people will lie and claim it's great we're not as racist as we used to be . . . but once we honor the effort a single black person made toward that new status people's true views come out.

The better idea is to remove pictures of historical people, and replace them with pictures of the land. Feeding the PC world is a fools errand.

Did you know that Political Correctness is not being able to use the N word.............Or call Jews kikes......and Puerto Ricans Spicks.....or refer to some one as a fag or queer .............without suffering some type of social sanction or shunning............

where you aware of that my friend?

And this is the real meaning of what's behind the smoke screen of what giggling those type of folks say it is.........

seems like a good choice.

It's not right. How is it going to sound when I buy a round of drinks and everyone says "he's really throwing around the Tubmans!!!"

It's not right. How is it going to sound when I buy a round of drinks and everyone says "he's really throwing around the Tubmans!!!"

Actually sounds kinda cool imo. As if you were bartering at a garage sale... "You let me have that if I throw a couple Tubmans your way?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/women-currency-treasury-harriet-tubman.html?_r=0

Harriet Tubman to Appear on $20 Bill, while 'Hamilton' Popularity Keeps Founding Father on $10

WASHINGTON — “The Treasury Department will announce on Wednesday afternoon that Harriet Tubman, an African-American who ferried thousands of slaves to freedom, will replace the slaveholding Andrew Jackson on the center of a new $20 note, according to a Treasury official, while newly popular Alexander Hamilton will remain on the face of the $10 bill……………….

………………. But in the months of taking public comments on what woman he should pick, Mr. Lew evidently bowed to the Broadway-stoked popularity of the $10 bill’s current star, Alexander Hamilton………..

Save them Hamilton bills…………Some say they will be collectibles……….

Its just money, doesn't matter all that much to me whos mug is on it. The founding fathers were appropriate of course. But whatever.

REALLY...........Can you prove that?

I think not...........

So why did you say that?

Because they are looking specifically for Civil rights personalities.

The 5 will change as well.

Andrew Jackson wasn't a good president so I'm fine with him going. It's a no-brainer to replace him instead of Hamilton. We can stand to replace Ulysses S. Grant too. Great general, but terrible president.

And Hamilton was never a President. Andrew Jackson wasn't a great President but was a good for during that period. He was really United States' 1st bad ass. He help found Memphis, Tennessee, Battle of New Orleans, we have the State of Florida due to his actions, he accepted being called a jackass and used it as his political symbol (Democrats use it today), his view of Democracy (Jacksonian democracy) are still used today in the Democratic party. So for the purpose of denouncing Jackson, one has to denounce everything he did. Please, by all means let's drop Florida and give it back to Spain, lets get rid of the "Jacksonian Democracy" that many still believe in.

She is not a woman who happens to be black.

if she wasn't black they wouldn't have considered her.

She definitely would have been considered. Even if she were white her resume is more impressive than the other women being considered.

I think it should be a drawing of Tubman directing the Combahee River Raid, have some cannon firing in the background, some plantations being burned, and the American Flag in the foreground.

Seriously? Colonel James Montgomery led that raid. She provided intel as she was a "spy".

We can stand to replace Ulysses S. Grant too. Great general, but terrible president.

Grant wasn't honored so much for his presidency as his role in helping save the Union during the Civil War. From that standpoint he's more deserving than most people, including Tubman.

Good. Jackson was a tool with only 2 good moments: temporarily sticking it to Calhoun and expanding the voter pool.

How about Florida and Jacksonian Democracy which is still a central tenant to Democrats.

Great...now the $20 bill will only be worth $15.60.

Back
Top Bottom