• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Move Over, Andrew Jackson. Harriet Tubman Is Coming to the $20 Bill.

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/women-currency-treasury-harriet-tubman.html?_r=0

Harriet Tubman to Appear on $20 Bill, while 'Hamilton' Popularity Keeps Founding Father on $10

WASHINGTON — “The Treasury Department will announce on Wednesday afternoon that Harriet Tubman, an African-American who ferried thousands of slaves to freedom, will replace the slaveholding Andrew Jackson on the center of a new $20 note, according to a Treasury official, while newly popular Alexander Hamilton will remain on the face of the $10 bill……………….

………………. But in the months of taking public comments on what woman he should pick, Mr. Lew evidently bowed to the Broadway-stoked popularity of the $10 bill’s current star, Alexander Hamilton………..

Save them Hamilton bills…………Some say they will be collectibles……….

Kinda figured it would be a black woman. Harriet Tubman is a good choice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/women-currency-treasury-harriet-tubman.html?_r=0

Harriet Tubman to Appear on $20 Bill, while 'Hamilton' Popularity Keeps Founding Father on $10

WASHINGTON — “The Treasury Department will announce on Wednesday afternoon that Harriet Tubman, an African-American who ferried thousands of slaves to freedom, will replace the slaveholding Andrew Jackson on the center of a new $20 note, according to a Treasury official, while newly popular Alexander Hamilton will remain on the face of the $10 bill……………….

………………. But in the months of taking public comments on what woman he should pick, Mr. Lew evidently bowed to the Broadway-stoked popularity of the $10 bill’s current star, Alexander Hamilton………..

Don't horde your Hamiltons. Tubman won't appear until after 2030.

They won't.

Aren't all old retired bills collectibles? I always keep and save, for example, silver certs when I find them.

However I'd say at the same time that there's almost no collectible bills that are substantially worth more than their face value.
Even rare century-old bills are basically face value + $2.

Old notes and coins aren't the type of collectible that is in short supply.
You have to go very far back in time, or find something truly unique (like a misprint) to have anything of value.

I love this.

Also I wish they'd overhaul the money to move away from green paper. Color coded more "plastic" like Canada's would be better. Maybe they can make that change too.

I love this.

Also I wish they'd overhaul the money to move away from green paper. Color coded more "plastic" like Canada's would be better. Maybe they can make that change too.

Well they are actually plastic not "plastic."

This opens up the whole issue for everyone. Before long transgenders are going to be demanding a portrait on the currency. Unintended consequences to be sure. But if it spends, it's OK by me. They are also planning to discontinue the penny - something they should have done 50 years ago.

Not a terrible idea, I see little room to complain.

Andrew Jackson wasn't a good president so I'm fine with him going. It's a no-brainer to replace him instead of Hamilton. We can stand to replace Ulysses S. Grant too. Great general, but terrible president.

Last edited:

I think it should be a drawing of Tubman directing the Combahee River Raid, have some cannon firing in the background, some plantations being burned, and the American Flag in the foreground.

I love this.

No that is horrible.

Here in Mexico we have different colors, sizes and materials.

It makes it very hard to keep it organized in your pocket and count it when you need to.

I think it should be a drawing of Tubman directing the Combahee River Raid, have some cannon firing in the background, some plantations being burned, and the American Flag in the foreground.

Now there's an idea...........Why not submit it to Treasury..............

Andrew Jackson wasn't a good president so I'm fine with him going. It's a no-brainer to replace him instead of Hamilton. We can stand to replace Ulysses S. Grant too. Great general, but terrible president.

Well, it's been coming. Andrew Jackson has gone from a war hero and the first Democratic president to a racist genocidal maniac, so it has to be a black woman instead of Eleanor Roosevelt.

And already the Right is b**ching, moaning, and complaining.

And already the Right is b**ching, moaning, and complaining.

But of course.......

Its of Obama.......

and she is a woman who happens to be black and a civil tights leader from history..........

What more do one need to pi$$ those fellas off.................

Well, it's been coming. Andrew Jackson has gone from a war hero and the first Democratic president to a racist genocidal maniac, so it has to be a black woman instead of Eleanor Roosevelt.

You don't know anything about Eleanor Roosevelt, do you?

She used her position as first lady to help further the rights and freedoms of blacks in the USA.

She's be 100% in favor of Harriet Tubman being given the honor.

You don't know anything about Eleanor Roosevelt, do you?

She used her position as first lady to help further the rights and freedoms of blacks in the USA.

She's be 100% in favor of Harriet Tubman being given the honor.

I know everything about Eleanor Roosevelt: I have lots o' books on historical subjects. She was a great lady. The biggest and best of the 20th century, and a very tough chick. She was wonderful. I would have gone for MLK on the twenty, but the political angle with Harriet Tubman and the Oscars etc etc, is what pisses me off about it. A woman! Should'a been Roosevelt.

It's a solid choice. Although it would've been rather poetic to have a Native American replace Andrew Jackson.

But of course.......

Its of Obama.......

and she is a woman who happens to be black and a civil tights leader from history..........

What more do one need to pi$$ those fellas off.................

She is not a woman who happens to be black.

if she wasn't black they wouldn't have considered her.

What?! No Caitlyn Jenner on the $20. man, seems like liberals had an open net there. Obama must be transphobic or something. weird.

Andrew Jackson wasn't a good president so I'm fine with him going.

He is a hero of mine because he was the only president to pay the national debt down to zero.

What?! No Caitlyn Jenner on the $20. man, seems like liberals had an open net there. Obama must be transphobic or something. weird.

Caitlyn is a Republican. Why would liberals want her on the $20 bill?

Back
Top Bottom