• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Move Over, Andrew Jackson. Harriet Tubman Is Coming to the $20 Bill.

Grant wasn't honored so much for his presidency as his role in helping save the Union during the Civil War. From that standpoint he's more deserving than most people, including Tubman.

I still say George Mason the father of the bill of rights deserves a turn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/women-currency-treasury-harriet-tubman.html?_r=0
Move Over, Andrew Jackson. Harriet Tubman Is Coming to the $20 Bill.

Harriet Tubman to Appear on $20 Bill, while 'Hamilton' Popularity Keeps Founding Father on $10

WASHINGTON — “The Treasury Department will announce on Wednesday afternoon that Harriet Tubman, an African-American who ferried thousands of slaves to freedom, will replace the slaveholding Andrew Jackson on the center of a new $20 note, according to a Treasury official, while newly popular Alexander Hamilton will remain on the face of the $10 bill……………….

………………. But in the months of taking public comments on what woman he should pick, Mr. Lew evidently bowed to the Broadway-stoked popularity of the $10 bill’s current star, Alexander Hamilton………..

Save them Hamilton bills…………Some say they will be collectibles……….

I have a slew of them on hand and will set them aside in the vault. I just don't know why we have to change them at all...kinda silly IMO.

But, I sent Lew an email last summer with a suggestion. I said, "Mr. Lew, why don't we start printing $3 bills, and put all these yahoos on the back and the front of those $3 bills. It would satisfy all the PC crapola and for those of us who see no need for change in the first place, the bills could be ignored."

I thought it a splendid way to satisfy everyone....but it was too logical for government.

What I will do now, is trade them in for $10 bills or $50 bills. Andy Jackson was one of the few honest Presidents, and a good one, and Tubeman should be on the back of the bill, not him.

The better idea is to remove pictures of historical people, and replace them with pictures of the land. Feeding the PC world is a fools errand.

Ironic that you are defending a Democrat. Not just any Democrat either, but a founder of that party.

I have a slew of them on hand and will set them aside in the vault. I just don't know why we have to change them at all...kinda silly IMO.

Feminists have been been demanding it for decades, so here we are. There is pretty much nothing else to it.

But, I sent Lew an email last summer with a suggestion. I said, "Mr. Lew, why don't we start printing $3 bills, and put all these yahoos on the back and the front of those $3 bills. It would satisfy all the PC crapola and for those of us who see no need for change in the first place, the bills could be ignored."

I thought it a splendid way to satisfy everyone....but it was too logical for government.

What I will do now, is trade them in for $10 bills or $50 bills. Andy Jackson was one of the few honest Presidents, and a good one, and Tubeman should be on the back of the bill, not him.

If you find anybody willing to take a 20 in exchange for a 50, please let us all know so we can contact him.

Feminists have been been demanding it for decades, so here we are. There is pretty much nothing else to it.

Ya...I know. What a bunch of PC hogwash that is...too!

If you find anybody willing to take a 20 in exchange for a 50, please let us all know so we can contact him.

Haaaaaa! I didn't mean it the way it sounded. I will take two 20s and a 10 to get my fifty. I trade in a lot of 20s for 100s now, to save room in stacking in the vault and ease of counting later. I wish they still had a thousand dollar bill, that would simplify things even more.

It's a solid choice. Although it would've been rather poetic to have a Native American replace Andrew Jackson.

And how ignorant... you think putting a Sioux on a $20 would satisfy a Cherokee?

Riiiight.

You're just so outraged over the 'political angle' of Tubman over Roosevelt.

People just don't want a black person on the money, evidently. Oh people will lie and claim it's great we're not as racist as we used to be . . . but once we honor the effort a single black person made toward that new status people's true views come out.

Nope, what I said is true for me. As I said, I would have gone for MLK in a heartbeat, but politics are demanding a black woman, just like next year, politics are going to demand black Oscar winners, just like politics demanded black singers on "rock and roll" MTV.

I don't have a racist bone in my body, nor was I raised by racist parents. I just have an aversion to racial politics.

It's just like Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays. There was no law suit or political movement to get those guys on baseball teams. They tried out, got on the team, played great baseball and proved the nay sayers wrong. Look what Jessie Owens did for Hitler's BS racial politics.

We've honored all kinds of black people! So what are you talking about? In my view this twenty dollar bill thing is just racial BS politics and it actually demeans her position because of the way it's being done. When the news first announced that Tubman was a candidate, I told my wife, 'watch, she'll be on the bill', and guess what!

Should'a been Eleanor Roosevelt. She's muuuuch bigger in American history.

Riiiight.

You're just so outraged over the 'political angle' of Tubman over Roosevelt.

People just don't want a black person on the money, evidently. Oh people will lie and claim it's great we're not as racist as we used to be . . . but once we honor the effort a single black person made toward that new status people's true views come out.

We've routinely honored as a country all races on stamps and coins.

Pretty sure, Sacagawea ($1 coin) and Booker T. Washington (half dollar coins) says otherwise.

Actually sounds kinda cool imo. As if you were bartering at a garage sale... "You let me have that if I throw a couple Tubmans your way?"

Ha ha...classic.
The Sanders man sees the American economy becoming more like a "garage sale" economy.

I love it!

Yayyy.. **** that genocidal POS known and Andrew Jackson.

And how ignorant... you think putting a Sioux on a $20 would satisfy a Cherokee?

I'd say put a seminole on there being that is who Jackson genocided.

Ha ha...classic.
The Sanders man sees the American economy becoming more like a "garage sale" economy.

I love it!

I made a simple scenario about spending two 20's at a garage sale. I mentioned nothing about the American economy.

Ironic that you are defending a Democrat. Not just any Democrat either, but a founder of that party.

Things change. LBJ in the 1960s Democrats transformed the Democrats into the party of Civil Rights, while the Republicans became the party of obstructing Civil Rights.

Keep up.

It's just like Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays. There was no law suit or political movement to get those guys on baseball teams. They tried out, got on the team, played great baseball and proved the nay sayers wrong. Look what Jessie Owens did for Hitler's BS racial politics.
We've honored all kinds of black people! So what are you talking about? In my view this twenty dollar bill thing is just racial BS politics and it actually demeans her position because of the way it's being done. When the news first announced that Tubman was a candidate, I told my wife, 'watch, she'll be on the bill', and guess what!

With regards to Jackie Robinson, there was a great big wall of racism that kept great players before him from playing in the major leagues. It took affirmative action from a progressive to give Robinson the opportunity to do what any sane person already knew he and his brothers could do, while the conservatives of the nation slandered him and sent him death threats.

Eleanor Roosevelt was a great woman, fighting for the rights of the poor and oppressed. But she did it from an environment of wealth and privilege, where her personal safety and comfort was never threatened. Not so Tubman, who risked everything, including her life, so that others could be free.

I dont see where this was mentioned, so here ya go:

Harriet Tubman and Andrew Jackson are actually going to share the $20 bill, which is bad.On Tuesday morning, the country rejoiced when it was announced that Harriet Tubman, Underground railroad conductor and all-around badass, was going to replace Andrew Jackson, a slave-owning racist who engineered and oversaw a genocide, on the $20 bill and become both the first woman and the first African American on United States currency.
That hasn’t changed, but it’s gotten more complicated. On Tuesday afternoon, the Treasury Department announced that Jackson wasn’t being removed from the bill, just being moved from the front to the back
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/132...drew-jackson-actually-going-share-20-bill-bad

Women first, because "MEN SUCK!", perfectly in line with this societies messaging.

Nope, what I said is true for me. As I said, I would have gone for MLK in a heartbeat, but politics are demanding a black woman, just like next year, politics are going to demand black Oscar winners, just like politics demanded black singers on "rock and roll" MTV.

I don't have a racist bone in my body, nor was I raised by racist parents. I just have an aversion to racial politics.

Yeah - those evil black women. :roll:

Keep 'em suppressed - they haven't done anything toward bettering our country. :roll:

Rosa Park waves hello.
Harriet Tubman is actually a horrible choice, especially if you want to justify choice by historical facts. To justify removing President Jackson based on story is myth and exaggeration is disingenuous.

From the quoted source:
Regarding her risking her freedom and her life to guide slaves to freedom:
"It’s said that over the next decade she made approximately 19 trips to the eastern shore of Maryland, bringing 300 slaves to freedom and earning the title of the “Black Moses.” (Well, not quite. Kate Clifford Larson, author of another recent scholarly biography of Tubman, puts the number of trips between 11 and 13. Sernett says the documented number of slaves rescued is closer to 70, although an exact number is impossible to know. Additional slaves made it north on their own using instructions from Tubman, but that number is also impossible to calculate.)"

Oh. She "only" risked herself 11 to 13 times, and "only" rescued about 70 individuals. Oh, and the source also confirmed that she was a spy for the North during the Civil War. What did they do to spies in the Civil War? Anyone know?
Gee wiz. In that case it would have been much better to have kept the pro-slavery Jackson on the front. :roll:

Women first, because "MEN SUCK!", perfectly in line with this societies messaging.

Not all men. Just reactionary asshole men.

The rest of us are cool. :thumbs:

Last edited:
From the quoted source:
Regarding her risking her freedom and her life to guide slaves to freedom:
"It’s said that over the next decade she made approximately 19 trips to the eastern shore of Maryland, bringing 300 slaves to freedom and earning the title of the “Black Moses.” (Well, not quite. Kate Clifford Larson, author of another recent scholarly biography of Tubman, puts the number of trips between 11 and 13. Sernett says the documented number of slaves rescued is closer to 70, although an exact number is impossible to know. Additional slaves made it north on their own using instructions from Tubman, but that number is also impossible to calculate.)"

Oh. She "only" risked herself 11 to 13 times, and "only" rescued about 70 individuals. Oh, and the source also confirmed that she was a spy for the North during the Civil War. What did they do to spies in the Civil War? Anyone know?
Gee wiz. In that case it would have been much better to have kept the pro-slavery Jackson on the front. :roll:

There are other slaveowners on our money. Ever hear of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. Not necessarily defending Jackson, but if the fact that he was pro-slavery disqualified from being on money....

With regards to Jackie Robinson, there was a great big wall of racism that kept great players before him from playing in the major leagues. It took affirmative action from a progressive to give Robinson the opportunity to do what any sane person already knew he and his brothers could do, while the conservatives of the nation slandered him and sent him death threats.

Eleanor Roosevelt was a great woman, fighting for the rights of the poor and oppressed. But she did it from an environment of wealth and privilege, where her personal safety and comfort was never threatened. Not so Tubman, who risked everything, including her life, so that others could be free.

First, as I said, there was no law suit or political movement to get Jackie Robinson forced onto a team. Secondly, it doesn't matter where Eleanor Roosevelt came from. What matters is that she spent the entirety of her adult life fighting for people's rights. Eleanor risked herself for those rights and refused to stop, as did her husband. Had they both been alive in the civil war, I'm sure they would have acted in kind. As for an image for the twenty, how about a union soldier giving a dying confederate a drink of water. A lot of people risked their lives during the civil war and a lot of whites were running the underground railroad as well. So that argument isn't going to wash I'm afraid. And I'm not saying that Tubman was not great, but the political environment is what's dictating this move.

Yeah - those evil black women. :roll:

Keep 'em suppressed - they haven't done anything toward bettering our country. :roll:

Oh don't be hyperbolic. I find that beneath you. You know what I'm talking about. I would have much preferred a national poll to solve the issue not political grandstanding.

I'd say put a seminole on there being that is who Jackson genocided.

Once again a progressive forgets history. The Congress passed Indian Removal Act and Seminoles made a treaty with the US, then refused to abide by it.. which caused the Second Seminole War. There was no genocide. It was a war.

The Cherokee signed the Treaty of New Echota.

Back
Top Bottom