• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mount St Helens WARNING: Scientist reveals molten rock 'rising FIVE metres a DAY'

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Mount St Helens could erupt again as scientists closely monitor a lava dome rising at five metres a day. A USGS scientist adds:”What is really phenomenal is how much rock is still coming out of the ground. It’s now taller than the Empire State building. It’s coming up at five metres a day, more than 200 metres wide and it’s right here in our back yard.“

Right in my backyard.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...cano-warning-scientist-molten-rock-rising-spt

Geologic behavior such as (but not limited to) that described is why I'm unwilling to live anywhere on the West Coast. That information, of course, is of no use to you.

I suggest you move, or at least move out of the way. You can't stop a volcano's eruption and pyroclastic flows, but you can get the hell out of their way if you get to movin' soon enough.

Five meters a day for how long?

Fake News:

Mount St. Helens molten rock is not rising 5 meters a day, USGS scientists say
The 5-meter a day rise in molten rock actually happened 15 years ago during the 2004 and 2005 eruption
https://www.kgw.com/article/news/lo...-say/283-67a9b9fc-b101-4109-a294-4eeabc0d8b46

Apparently we are suffering the effects of a British Tabloid claim going viral.

You fell for a con Cat.

I used to live in Olympia and would often drive in and around the Mt. St. Helens area. The last time I was there was in 2007 and I couldn't help but notice all of the new housing along the road that basically goes north and south along the east side of the mountain. I remember thinking at the time how stupid a person must be to build there... and then thinking how stupid the people must be who ALLOWED them to build there.

This could get ugly.

Geologic behavior such as (but not limited to) that described is why I'm unwilling to live anywhere on the West Coast. That information, of course, is of no use to you.

I suggest you move, or at least move out of the way. You can't stop a volcano's eruption and pyroclastic flows, but you can get the hell out of their way if you get to movin' soon enough.

When I said backyard, I'm safe. Now if Mt. Rainer blows, I'm screwed.

5 meters a day.

That is spooky!:shock:

I will pray for you!

I am 426 miles downwind of Mount St Helens and 287 miles from the Yellowstone Caldera.

Both of them are getting funky!

Looks like I picked a bad time to move to the North West.

If Yellowstone blows there's not many places in the US that you can go to escape the effects. Bottom tips of Florida and Texas is about all....and that's just the immediate obvious effects.

If Yellowstone blows there's not many places in the US that you can go to escape the effects. Bottom tips of Florida and Texas is about all....and that's just the immediate obvious effects.

Not every eruption is as big as it can be...

The entire world would be ****ed. It'd cause a major climate shift.

I'm in SE Portland, a stones throw away from Gresham now. Back then, I lived in The Dalles.

I am in New Zealand now and St. Helen's won't be bothering me at all...

The entire world would be ****ed. It'd cause a major climate shift.

Be ready to buy land... it will be up for grabs as the landscape changes...

t's amazing ho far you can be and see it. I was in Seattle the 2nd time. That's about 100 miles as the crow flies. And you could definitely see it.

Back
Top Bottom