• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mount St Helens WARNING: Scientist reveals molten rock 'rising FIVE metres a DAY'

Geologic behavior such as (but not limited to) that described is why I'm unwilling to live anywhere on the West Coast. That information, of course, is of no use to you.

I suggest you move, or at least move out of the way. You can't stop a volcano's eruption and pyroclastic flows, but you can get the hell out of their way if you get to movin' soon enough.

When I said backyard, I'm safe. Now if Mt. Rainer blows, I'm screwed.

You must have one hell of a huge backyard. The two volcanoes are only ~50 miles apart and the last Mt. St. Helens blast affected/devastated a huge area.
Yeah, but MT. Rainier is much closer to civilization. If she goes, a lot of people will die. Over the years more and more people live pretty close. The mud flows will wipe out towns in the path. Especially if she blows sideways like Helens. She's done that in the past.

Red:
Um, okay. Well, okay, whatever. You go on feeling that way.

By my reasoning, the reason you've is absurd. You've stated that Mt. Rainier's greater proximity to civilization than Mt. St. Helens, both of which are apparently "in your backyard," is why you feel it safe not get out of the way or move altogether. I fully respect your right to hew to that reasoning; however, it is a ridiculous reason.
  • However many people live nearer to Mt. Rainier than to Mt. St. Helens has absolutely nothing to do with the danger a Mt. St. Helens eruption poses.
  • The spatial separation between the near and far parts of any my backyards is irrelevant in the scheme of abrupt cataclysmic events, volcanic eruptions being one such event, that release energy measured by tens of megatons (~1500+ "Hiroshima's").

page630.gif

At any rate, I've said all I care to say. Good luck if/when the thing blows.

If Yellowstone blows there's not many places in the US that you can go to escape the effects. Bottom tips of Florida and Texas is about all....and that's just the immediate obvious effects.

Yeah. I live just inside the "you will definitely die in the initial blast" zone but still far enough away I might get enough time to kiss "it" goodbye.

Yeah, but MT. Rainier is much closer to civilization. If she goes, a lot of people will die. Over the years more and more people live pretty close. The mud flows will wipe out towns in the path. Especially if she blows sideways like Helens. She's done that in the past.

Mt Rainier will go off again. It is just a guessing game when. Everybody who lives west of it in the Tacoma-Seattle area are just hoping it is hundreds of years away.

People in those areas will be given a warning of an eruption but if anyone has driven down I-5 knows, good luck.

t's amazing ho far you can be and see it. I was in Seattle the 2nd time. That's about 100 miles as the crow flies. And you could definitely see it.

The curvature of the earth only blocks about 6 ft. per mile. At 100 miles, it's only the first ~600 ft. you don't see, assuming nothing else was in the way. Of course this isn't linear.

If the number of missing pets goes up drastically get to somewhere safe. When it blew last time scientists noted that there were no birds chirping that morning.

Why is it animals have those senses and we do not?

Why is it animals have those senses and we do not?

Animals are more in tune with the environment. They have to be in order to survive. Humans don't have to because we are higher up the pyramid in Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Animals are more in tune with the environment. They have to be in order to survive. Humans don't have to because we are higher up the pyramid in Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

That's just it though, we used to be in tune. One would think we'd keep those instincts.

We're visiting Yellowstone this year and Seattle the following...could y'all keep a lid on it for a couple of years? :)

Back
Top Bottom