• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mount Rushmore of Comedy

I like Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor, but I think Curly Howard (Three Stooges) makes me laugh more, so if it's any kind of comedy, I'd have to put Curly up there too. And then to finish it off, Joe Biden.

Who would you say deserves that honor?

The Marx Brothers, all four of them (even Zeppo who never got enough credit).

I like Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor, but I think Curly Howard (Three Stooges) makes me laugh more, so if it's any kind of comedy, I'd have to put Curly up there too. And then to finish it off, Joe Biden.

Good evening, JC. :2wave:

:funny: :agree:

George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Louis C.K.

I love comedic tv and movies but stand-up is my favorite.

George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Louis C.K.

I love comedic tv and movies but stand-up is my favorite.

Good evening, Sarcogito. :2wave:

I like your Carl Sagan quote! :thumbs:

Carlin (best dead), Louis CK (best living), Doug Stanhope and either Bill Burr or Chappelle

Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Bill Cosby, and Woody Allen.

The funniest comedians though, for me, are the more modern ones. That's another story.

Lucille Ball.

Groucho Marx, Lucille Ball, Bill Cosby, Mel Brooks, George Carlin, Richard Pryor.

No one else is close, those where head and shoulders above the rest.

Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Bill Cosby, and Woody Allen.

The funniest comedians though, for me, are the more modern ones. That's another story.

Indeed, Hicks was great in his day but it just doesn't hold up now. IMO Stanhope is the new Hicks

I think Jackie Gleason has to be up there. His stuff is still funny today,and he was very influential.
I'd also put Rodney Dangerfield up there. Just my view.

IMO "TV comedians" reading another writer's lines don't count.

It is definitely a different skillset. Take someone like Lucy. She was hilarious on screen even when she wasn’t speaking. Certain “physical” comedians can make you laugh regardless of what is on the script.

George Carlin, Louis C.K., Lewis Black, and Jim Gaffigan. I do like Anthony Jeselnik, David Cross, and Patton Oswalt, but they just aren't AS deserving in my eyes.

Stand-up has never had much appeal to me, then again, I don't have the attention span to watch something for more than a few minutes. Regardless, my choices would be.....
Stand-up:
Eddie Murphy, the guy did Raw when he was 22! 22! Both Raw and Delirious are comedic gold.
Richard Pryor, without Pryor, I'm not sure there would've been an Eddie Murphy, some great material, lovable guy.
Bill Hicks, like the satire, and his last stand-up "his farewell performance", was good and brought little snickering tears to my eyes.
George Carlin, great satire.
Bill Cosby, bringing stand-up comedy to every household in America.

Actors/writers
Mel Brooks, Early works were absolute gold, but later works are mildly funny to drearily boring.
John Cleese/Graham Chapman, watch ANY Monty Python film from the 70s-80s, skits were memorable as well.
Moe Howard/Curly Howard, I found Curly to be more comedic, but Moe accentuated it with his serious behavior.
Charlie Chaplin, utilized physical humor and even drug/sexual references for comedy, a revolutionary, The Great Dictator is a masterpiece.

Personally, for me I've never found Stanhope to be funny, though I sometimes enjoy Louis C.K. My favorite "comedian" would actually have to be Gary Larson, but, that is certainly a personal sentiment as I also draw cartoons. :p

George Burns, Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, Redd Foxx

I don't know how you all are forgetting Chris Rock.
-------------

Beat me to the punch.
Old guys Jonathan Winters and Johnny Carson.
Quick-witted ad libbers.

Laurel and Hardy. Also agree with Jonathan Winters and Johnny Carson. Bill Cosby.

Laurel and Hardy. Also agree with Jonathan Winters and Johnny Carson. Bill Cosby.
------------

I owned some of Cosby's LPs way back in the sixties.
Hilarious stuff.

I think the most influential of all time were probably Groucho,Jackie Gleason,Richard Pryor and WC Fields. Does that make them the best? Not sure. Also leaving out guys like Berle and Jack Benny who were extremely influential. Some of my list was preference,as Dangerfield was certainly not more influential than many others.

Back
Top Bottom