• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him After Collision

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A group of motorcyclists riding in New York City on Sunday chased and then attacked the driver of an SUV after he collided into a biker, while one biker filmed the entire confrontation, police said today.The 33-year-old driver of a Range Rover was driving north on Manhattan's West Side Highway with his wife and 2-year-old child around 2 p.m. when he found himself surrounded by a group of motorcyclists, police said.
Video recorded by one of the bikers in the group shows the motorcycles slowing their speed as they surround the Range Rover, and the Range Rover then tapping the fender of a motorcyclist in the group. Twenty to 30 bikers then surrounded the SUV and started gesturing at him, the video shows.
The motorcyclists then began damaging the Range Rover and slashed one the tires, causing the driver to take off and flee north and then exit the highway as his tire deflated, according to Officer Christopher Pisano of the NYPD.
As he was attempting to flee, the SUV driver hit a motorcyclist before speeding off, causing the entire group of bikers to take off after him. The motorcyclist's leg was broken in the collision, police said.
During the six-minute encounter, the Range Rover driver slowed down enough at one point for a motorcyclist to get off his bike, run up to the SUV and open the driver's side door before the Range Rover fled again.
Finally, after the entire group turned off the highway and the SUV rolled to a stop, motorcyclists ran up to Range Rover and one biker, using his helmet, began smashing the windows of the vehicle, the video shows. Other bikers joined in before the video was stopped.

Video Shows Motorcyclists Pull Driver from Car in NYC, Beat Him - ABC News

This is a real problem...But it brings up a good question...When confronted by the situation of being intimidated by a gang of Motorcyclists, or even just a group of any kind, in a car, or what ever, do you have the right to flee the scene of an accident?

In the case of an accident if the vehicles are causing an unsafe condition it is ok to move them. I would say being attacked by a group of bikers constitutes an unsafe condition. Certainly a good argument against reduced magazine capacity as well. I'm thinking a Keltec PMR pistol that holds 30 rounds of 22 magnum would have been good to have.

In the case of an accident if the vehicles are causing an unsafe condition it is ok to move them. I would say being attacked by a group of bikers constitutes an unsafe condition. Certainly a good argument against reduced magazine capacity as well. I'm thinking a Keltec PMR pistol that holds 30 rounds of 22 magnum would have been good to have.

I don't want to veer into the gun debate on this but, I see your point. So, if I understand the driver of the car was in the right here, is that right?

This is a real problem...But it brings up a good question...When confronted by the situation of being intimidated by a gang of Motorcyclists, or even just a group of any kind, in a car, or what ever, do you have the right to flee the scene of an accident?

Who cares if you have the right? Plug in "nearest police station" to your GPS and take off. The article you've posted doesn't tell the latest story, by the way.

I don't want to veer into the gun debate on this but, I see your point. So, if I understand the driver of the car was in the right here, is that right?

A fender bender doesn't justify group assault. That should have been an exchange of insurance information and an accident report and that's it. But my regular carry (7+1) would not have adequate for that situation. I'm a bit surprised the usual suspects are not calling for a ban on motorcycle helmets because of their possible use as weapons.

I would say it would justify a real life grand theft auto situation. ;)

From what I saw the dude in the SUV was being a prick and "riding on their asses" then ran right over them....

Rules of the road state that motorcycles should be treated in the same as cars/other full sized motor vehicles...

Was it right for the bikers to beat his ass? not legally but I cant blame them after something like that.... Your adrenaline kicks in after something like that - some of those riders could have been killed..

I don't know how that guy even got close to those riders....... I see bikers all the time riding and I just stay well behind them (or at least give them their space)....

Last edited:
From what I saw the dude in the SUV was being a prick and "riding on their asses" then ran right over them....

Rules of the road state that motorcycles should be treated in the same as cars/other full sized motor vehicles...

Was it right for the bikers to beat his ass? not legally but I cant blame them after something like that.... Your adrenaline kicks in after something like that - some of those riders could have been killed..

I understand what you are saying, and I myself when seeing them approach at first would have probably pulled over to the curb, and let them pass...10 min just ain't worth it...

Reports are that they were riding through intersections, clogging them up for up to 15 minutes (several light cycles) by blocking off the intersection, stopping, getting off their bikes to talk, and so forth...They were originally denied a permit to do this ride.

But that aside, from the video, it looked to me like the bikers were boxing him in, and then the one, got in front and slowed down to try and force him to stop....I don't know as I would have stopped either.

Ha! It just shows how unreliable eyewitness testimony is. I saw something completely different. I saw a motorcyclist deliberately slow waaay down right on the front bumper of the SUV and turn-around to make sure the driver "got his point." It was at that point that the SUV bumped the cyclist -- didn't tip his bike, by the way.

Who cares if you have the right? Plug in "nearest police station" to your GPS and take off. The article you've posted doesn't tell the latest story, by the way.

It is an earlier report....What is it missing to date?

I ride motorcycle. In this instance the SUV definitely should have had the right to do what he did. Everyone's seen the six minute video at this point and has their opinions. Some feel he should have been in fear for his life, some feel the bikers were all being cool until he decided to try to kill them.

Before the six minute video started the SUV had actually called 911. If you look for some of the older videos of the same group of bikers there's one from 2011 where they get mad at a Prius who tried going through a green light while they were busy running red light after red light. Motorcycles stop around the Prius, one knocks on the passenger glass and the Prius rolls down it's window. A motorcyclist lunges/grabs at something in the passenger seat (a passenger?) and the Prius rolls the window up. Camera man rides off. Since that never made the news I'll assume they didn't bloody up the Prius driver for running a green light. But it seems the group has a history of trouble. Indeed, the injured motorcylist has something like 17 violations for speed, reckless, endangering. Never had a license. And is suspended from ever getting a license through 2017.

This is a group of motorcyclists with no regard for the rules of the road that was looking for trouble.

It is an earlier report....What is it missing to date?

What's missing is that this group of cyclists were attempting to shut down the highway to allow for their trick riding. Also, latest reports say the run-over cyclist is paralyzed.

I don't know how that guy even got close to those riders....... I see bikers all the time riding and I just stay well behind them (or at least give them their space)....

Then watch the video again because the guy that got hit rode up on the truck, came into that lane and appears to say something to the driver then cuts in front of him and brakes.

I understand what you are saying, and I myself when seeing them approach at first would have probably pulled over to the curb, and let them pass...10 min just ain't worth it...

Reports are that they were riding through intersections, clogging them up for up to 15 minutes (several light cycles) by blocking off the intersection, stopping, getting off their bikes to talk, and so forth...They were originally denied a permit to do this ride.

But that aside, from the video, it looked to me like the bikers were boxing him in, and then the one, got in front and slowed down to try and force him to stop....I don't know as I would have stopped either.

I ride myself, and also drive a car as well and have seen nothing like that..... The only reason why I could possibly think the guy was boxed in was because he was tailgating them or taunting them for no reason..... Can't say I have ever seen a group of bikers just provoke for no reason whatsoever.......

I'm pretty sure he wasn't just singled out for no reason.....

Yes. IF you are threatened and you are acting in the defense of your family. No problem, I just wish he would have backed up and ran a few more down.

What's missing is that this group of cyclists were attempting to shut down the highway to allow for their trick riding. Also, latest reports say the run-over cyclist is paralyzed.
So, he wont be pulling that stupidity again. Good.

Yeah they looked like the "pocket rocket" idiots.... Those clowns are a different breed from the typical Harley guys/clubs...

He was supposedly dialing 911 after the monster trucking of the losers bikes.
He had every right to run them down and leave the area.
Many states, people would have gotten out with a gun and started firing.

I ride myself, and also drive a car as well and have seen nothing like that..... The only reason why I could possibly think the guy was boxed in was because he was tailgating them or taunting them for no reason..... Can't say I have ever seen a group of bikers just provoke for no reason whatsoever.......

That is a possibility, we don't know yet the whole story. But, I ride also, and drive truck, and car. What you are describing is road rage on the part of the bikers....They had no permit to shut down the highway, nor do they have the right to assault another motorist because he is taunting them, if that was the case....

Yes. IF you are threatened and you are acting in the defense of your family. No problem, I just wish he would have backed up and ran a few more down.

The guy had every right to flee without question.....

The driver in the SUV was in danger potentially for his life...

I just wonder what caused the whole altercation because something obviously happened before video was being shot...

Ok, but what led to that rider getting run over?

Oh, I don't....I wish no one was injured, but that sadly was not in the cards as the bikers carried it across the line into assault.

I agree.

I'm sure the bikers had a reason for singling him out but it wasn't a good one.

If you watch the video it's clear that that black Range Rover SUV and a white Econoline van were the only cars in the area other than the bikes.

The Henry Hudson is three lanes wide and there was no traffic in any of them. That's not unusual for a weekend morning heading out of town (toward the GWB).

Which is why the bikers chose it.

They were attempting to shut down that expanse of road so they could stunt/trick ride.

That was their reason.

The guy in the Range Rover prolly had someplace to be and wasn't having any of it.

So the bikers became more and more aggressive until eventually that one idiot got in front of the Range Rover and brake checked him until he brought him to a complete stop.

"Inexplicably the 800 lb. motorcycle was able to come to a complete stop a lot more quickly than the 5000 lb. SUV and the biker wound up paying for it by getting tapped.

Anyhow, back to the whole idea of this retard thinking it was a good idea to bring traffic to a complete stop (or even to slow it well below the posted speed limit).

Complete stop.

On a highway.

A three lane highway.

With a 55 MPH speed limit.

Brought ALL traffic to a complete stop.

So yeah, screw the motorcyclists.

The only thing that would have made that situation better would be if an 18-wheeler loaded to capacity with rebar or concrete or something else really, really heavy had been barreling down the highway at speed and couldn't stop in time to avoid plowing over that big pack of motorcycle douchebags, killing dozens, if not an even hundred of them.

The guy had every right to flee without question.....

The driver in the SUV was in danger potentially for his life...

I just wonder what caused the whole altercation because something obviously happened before video was being shot...
Really dont matter.
No one was killed in some other traffic altercation earlier. The group had no right to try to stop him had their been, they are not police officers.
They actually had no right to give chase either and for real had no right to pull him out of his car and beat him.
Just for argument sake, say he cut one of them off or something or encroached into a lane?
So what, that is what you have to be prepared for when you ride. I rode for years, had all that crap happen down here with the blue hairs that dont see you. If you are going to get mad about it, park your bike.

Yeah they looked like the "pocket rocket" idiots.... Those clowns are a different breed from the typical Harley guys/clubs...

No doubt, I'd not take the chance that my bike would even be scratched...too expensive, and took me too long in life to get it.

Back
Top Bottom