• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Motorcycles

Has anyone else ridden a BMW F-800 with the rotax parallel twin? That may well be my next bike, and I love the power band and smoothness of the motor.

Which model did you get?

Also , what is that a picture of above your Member's name?

The view from an excavator.

I posted a pic of my new Triglide (Geezerglide) in another thread.

Harley is dying a slow death of a thousand cuts.....

Their core is dying off and their current selection doesn't play to the masses....
You aren't wrong but I've heard the motorcycle market overall isn't very healthy either.

The juggernaut is just relocating....

China and India are the new markets. Japan can sell their cheap small bikes there.

Triumph and Harley won't have that ability.

I don't know if Japanese bikes are particularly cheap. I think "cheap, small", I think Korean and Chinese bikes.

Harley management needs to come back to terms with the idea that Harleys are an American bike specifically built for an American market that mostly doesn't view bikes as basic transportation. Harleys at least are fairly expensive recreational toys. I have to say that my first Harley does impress me though. I laughed at them for years. They were really a joke to me in the 70s when my little 350 Yamaha could spank anything they offered. This 114 ci motor on my trike is no joke though. While it doesn't have the raw power of my last big V-twin- a 125 ci Kawasaki- it still has plenty. The Triglide weighs 1200 pounds ready to run and that motor takes it down the highway at 75 mph seemingly without effort. It does it smoothly too. The mirrors are crystal all through the RPM range. Years ago, Harleys could be real bone shakers. Now there is just a kind of distant throb to remind you that an engine is there. I really wouldn't want it to disappear entirely. It's part of the experience I suppose.

20200902_125207_HDR.jpg

I don't know if Japanese bikes are particularly cheap. I think "cheap, small", I think Korean and Chinese bikes.

Harley management needs to come back to terms with the idea that Harleys are an American bike specifically built for an American market that mostly doesn't view bikes as basic transportation. Harleys at least are fairly expensive recreational toys. I have to say that my first Harley does impress me though. I laughed at them for years. They were really a joke to me in the 70s when my little 350 Yamaha could spank anything they offered. This 114 ci motor on my trike is no joke though. While it doesn't have the raw power of my last big V-twin- a 125 ci Kawasaki- it still has plenty. The Triglide weighs 1200 pounds ready to run and that motor takes it down the highway at 75 mph seemingly without effort. It does it smoothly too. The mirrors are crystal all through the RPM range. Years ago, Harleys could be real bone shakers. Now there is just a kind of distant throb to remind you that an engine is there. I really wouldn't want it to disappear entirely. It's part of the experience I suppose.

View attachment 67302717
Harleys are noted for having excellent low-end torque. When the California Highway Patrol rode them back in the 1970s and 1980s I heard them tell tales of pushing disabled vehicles to the side of the road with only their Harley. They later switched to Kawasaki's because they needed the speed of a rice rocket.

Kawasaki's are okay, but not the best looking bike. For Japanese bikes, Yamaha is the best design. Primarily because they copied the original Harley Davidson design since the 1950s.

My biggest issue with Harleys price is it is based only on its name, not the quality of the bike. Harleys are extremely dated, at least a generation behind the times with regard to technology. If you wanted a motorcycle that was up-to-date with the latest technology you buy Japanese, and save at least 20% over the cost of a similarly-equipped Harley (if you could find one).

Harleys are noted for having excellent low-end torque. When the California Highway Patrol rode them back in the 1970s and 1980s I heard them tell tales of pushing disabled vehicles to the side of the road with only their Harley. They later switched to Kawasaki's because they needed the speed of a rice rocket.

Kawasaki's are okay, but not the best looking bike. For Japanese bikes, Yamaha is the best design. Primarily because they copied the original Harley Davidson design since the 1950s.

My biggest issue with Harleys price is it is based only on its name, not the quality of the bike. Harleys are extremely dated, at least a generation behind the times with regard to technology. If you wanted a motorcycle that was up-to-date with the latest technology you buy Japanese, and save at least 20% over the cost of a similarly-equipped Harley (if you could find one).

Ummm, no.

Yamaha copied German and British bikes in the 1950s. The XS650 was a Hosk/Horex design even though it looked British. Their first "big bike".

They then went 750 twin then triple and a 1000 four cylinder,.

The only thing Harley about them is that the 750 twin ate its own engine...

They didn't hop onto the Harley bandwagon until the late 1970s with the "Special" line. Later the XV Virago series. (I've owned both) .

View attachment 67302717

The Cadillac of Motorcycles....

Reminds me of Springsteen:

Long and dark shiny and black
Open up your engines let 'em roar
Tearing up the highway like a big old dinosaur

Ummm, no.

Yamaha copied German and British bikes in the 1950s. The XS650 was a Hosk/Horex design even though it looked British. Their first "big bike".

They didn't hop onto the Harley bandwagon until the late 1970s with the "Special" line. Later the XV Virago series. (I've owned both) .
The 1955 Hosk may have been based upon English/German bikes, but that quickly changed by the 1960s. Harley invented the tear-drop gas tank design in the 1950s, which Yamaha mimicked with their XS650. All the British and German bikes were, and still are, square and boxy. Only the American bikes, and Harley in particular, were sleek in design back in the 1950s.

1950-harley-davidson.jpg
1950 Harley Davidson

yamaha-xs650.jpg
1969 Yamaha XS650

The 1955 Hosk may have been based upon English/German bikes, but that quickly changed by the 1960s. Harley invented the tear-drop gas tank design in the 1950s, which Yamaha mimicked with their XS650. All the British and German bikes were, and still are, square and boxy. Only the American bikes, and Harley in particular, were sleek in design back in the 1950s.

View attachment 67302941
1950 Harley Davidson

View attachment 67302942
1969 Yamaha XS650

Tear drops go back to the 1930s for Royal Enfield. And Triumph.

Then again the Horex had the type of tank Yamaha had.

Horex-1955-Imperator-2511-1.jpgf486a6062597341d8dab039f3f72368d.jpg

Last edited:
i really enjoy riding. however, for the time being, i have reached the point where i'm not as willing to risk it, so i haven't ridden in a couple years. i have a kiddo to keep up with now, and a lot of people aren't looking at the road like they used to. going to make a decision next summer, most likely. i will say that the most recent year that i rode, i flashed the brakes at every stoplight. i think that this is a good strategy for riding in the era of smartphones.

i really enjoy riding. however, for the time being, i have reached the point where i'm not as willing to risk it, so i haven't ridden in a couple years. i have a kiddo to keep up with now, and a lot of people aren't looking at the road like they used to. going to make a decision next summer, most likely. i will say that the most recent year that i rode, i flashed the brakes at every stoplight. i think that this is a good strategy for riding in the era of smartphones.

I totaled one of my best bikes a couple of years ago.... (First boo boo in decades)

But, I got back on as soon as my foot healed. Why? Because I love riding and I know that with advancing age (60+) the reflexes are not getting better. And it takes practice to keep the shiny side up. Your tip is appreciated. I normally hold the front brake. I think I'll pulse it when stopped.

I totaled one of my best bikes a couple of years ago.... (First boo boo in decades)

But, I got back on as soon as my foot healed. Why? Because I love riding and I know that with advancing age (60+) the reflexes are not getting better. And it takes practice to keep the shiny side up. Your tip is appreciated. I normally hold the front brake. I think I'll pulse it when stopped.

it can't hurt to be more visible. my father in law always wore bright orange or green, too. i thought that was pretty smart.

I also really enjoyed riding. I had to stop after moving to Alaska. Motorcycles were my only mode of transportation when I lived in southern California. People might complain about the amount of traffic, but they always had the best maintained roads in southern California (compared to the other States where I have lived). In Alaska a frost-heave could appear at any time, which is dangerous for four-wheeled vehicles and incredibly dangerous for two-wheeled vehicles. Then there is all the gravel dumped on the road during the Winters, since we don't use salt to de-ice our roads. So motorcycle driving conditions in Alaska are considerably worse than those in southern California.

In southern California I always drove as if I were completely invisible, and every vehicle on the road was out to get me. I always felt the safest on the freeways, because we were all traveling in the same direction and there was no cross traffic. As someone who put 25,000 miles per year on my bikes, I'm convinced that only that extreme paranoia ultimately saved my life. I would regularly alter my route so that I did not have to make left-hand turns that were not at intersections.

Last edited:
Thinking back I almost believe the "near crashes" left me with more night mares than the "real crashes".

With the near crashes you drive away and about 3 or 4 miles you stop your bike and just sit there for awhile re living it.

it can't hurt to be more visible. my father in law always wore bright orange or green, too. i thought that was pretty smart.

I have some amazing reflective tape. Used for tracking helicopter blades with a strobe lamp. A few pieces on the bike definitely helps. At one time I looked like a bumblebee with yellow and black jacket and helmet.

Yes though I haven’t ridden in a few years.

Started on a Honda Shadow. Rode that bike as transportation, in NYC, in all weather. Rain, snow you name it. It was a great education in riding but stupid in retrospect.

Rode a Harley 1200 Sportster for 6 years. Nice bike but the hard mounted engine rattled the shit outta me.

Had an old Kawi Eliminator for a couple of years. Friend gave it to me. Fast. Very fast. But It more maintenance than I cared to do so I got rid of it.

Now I have a mid 90s Honda cafe racer. It was my son’s. Hasn’t seen the road in a couple years. I had wanted to get her on the road and take her to Tennessee to ride Tail of the Dragon this year but Covid has other ideas. Maybe next year.

Fondest memory. For our 30th wedding anniversary in 2015 we went Las Vegas. I rented a Heritage Softail Classic and we rode to one of those drive up wedding places and got married again. Then we rode up into the Red Rocks area for the day. Best ride I ever had.

Last edited:
I also really enjoyed riding. I had to stop after moving to Alaska. Motorcycles were my only mode of transportation when I lived in southern California. People might complain about the amount of traffic, but they always had the best maintained roads in southern California (compared to the other States where I have lived). In Alaska a frost-heave could appear at any time, which is dangerous for four-wheeled vehicles and incredibly dangerous for two-wheeled vehicles. Then there is all the gravel dumped on the road during the Winters, since we don't use salt to de-ice our roads. So motorcycle driving conditions in Alaska are considerably worse than those in southern California.

In southern California I always drove as if I were completely invisible, and every vehicle on the road was out to get me. I always felt the safest on the freeways, because we were all traveling in the same direction and there was no cross traffic. As someone who put 25,000 miles per year on my bikes, I'm convinced that only that extreme paranoia ultimately saved my life. I would regularly alter my route so that I did not have to make left-hand turns that were not at intersections.

sounds like good advice. when i was getting back into riding again, ii took a class that was pretty intense, and i learned that i had been making some potentially serious mistakes. it was a really good course.

Thinking back I almost believe the "near crashes" left me with more night mares than the "real crashes".

With the near crashes you drive away and about 3 or 4 miles you stop your bike and just sit there for awhile re living it.

I still roll things around in my head wondering what I could have done better... Years after.

I think Harleys are a bit overpriced. I disagree about their quality. Fit and finish is beautiful. Pinstripes aren't decals; they're paint. You would be hard pressed to look at a modern HD and find anything shoddy or cheap looking.

Technologically speaking, the M8 that has been their big twin for a few years now has 4 valves and two spark plugs per cylinder, electronic fuel injection, and is air cooled with liquid cooled cylinder heads. Hydraulic lifters never need adjusting. A six speed transmission gets the 120 ft-lbs torque to the rear wheel(s) and incorporates a hydraulic clutch. Onboard diagnostics monitor the big V-twin and the other systems of the bikes such as the front and rear linked ABS and Traction Control System. Touring models have a pretty good entertainment system that includes a touchscreen AM/FM/WB radio with Bluetooth and a USB port. That system is also where you'll find the included GPS and several screens giving info about service intervals, outside temp, trip data, the Idle Temp Control, etc. Sirius Radio and a CB are optional. An integrated headset system for driver and passenger to use as an intercom or to make phone calls is standard. Some features of the entertainment/GPS can be voice controlled through the headsets.

And sorry, but classic Kawasaki triples and KZs are still the best looking bikes ever made. With the possible exception of a Norton Commando. :)

I was told something about going to a trike and it has seemed to prove out. Cages tend to be more aware of trikes than of two wheel motorcycles. Probably because a trike is simply larger and more unusual so its presence breaks through the cell phone haze a little better.

Ummm, no.

I might be wrong, but I think Yamaha's first four cylinder was the XS1100. They were a little late to the superbike wars of the 70's, but when that model came out it was- for a time- the quickest, fastest production bike.

I think Harleys are a bit overpriced. I disagree about their quality. Fit and finish is beautiful. Pinstripes aren't decals; they're paint. You would be hard pressed to look at a modern HD and find anything shoddy or cheap looking.

Technologically speaking, the M8 that has been their big twin for a few years now has 4 valves and two spark plugs per cylinder, electronic fuel injection, and is air cooled with liquid cooled cylinder heads. Hydraulic lifters never need adjusting. A six speed transmission gets the 120 ft-lbs torque to the rear wheel(s) and incorporates a hydraulic clutch. Onboard diagnostics monitor the big V-twin and the other systems of the bikes such as the front and rear linked ABS and Traction Control System. Touring models have a pretty good entertainment system that includes a touchscreen AM/FM/WB radio with Bluetooth and a USB port. That system is also where you'll find the included GPS and several screens giving info about service intervals, outside temp, trip data, the Idle Temp Control, etc. Sirius Radio and a CB are optional. An integrated headset system for driver and passenger to use as an intercom or to make phone calls is standard. Some features of the entertainment/GPS can be voice controlled through the headsets.

And sorry, but classic Kawasaki triples and KZs are still the best looking bikes ever made. With the possible exception of a Norton Commando. :)
Harley is the only motorcycle manufacturer that still uses belt- and chain-drive, 30+ years after shaft-drive has been used by the rest of the industry. Why would anyone buy a belt- or chain-driven motorcycle these days, unless they are trying to be nostalgic?

I liked my Kawasaki, it was a very reliable bike. Although, Kawasaki was never as good looking as either Yamaha or Honda. Kawasaki looked a lot like English-made or German-made motorcycles - big, square, and boxy. The American bikes, like Indian and Harley Davidson, were the sleek looking motorcycles.

The headers on the BMW bike alone would make me nervous as hell just taking a corner at a high rate of speed. I would be afraid of catching the road with the engine and loosing it completely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom