• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mother wants transgender daughter to be able to use girls' bathroom in kindergarten

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
PEARLAND, Texas - A Pearland mom went before the city's school board Tuesday night to fight for her transgender daughter's right to use the girls' bathroom when she starts kindergarten. Five-year-old Kai was born male, but has lived publicly as a little girl for the last two years.

"Please understand I'm not fighting about bathrooms, I'm fighting about her life, I'm fighting about her well-being, I'm fighting for her happiness, I'm fighting for her future," Kai's mother, Kim Shappley said.

Fighting about her life? Fighting about her well being? No she isn't. She made the decision for her son, when he was only 3 years old, and mentally incapable of making this kind of life changing decision himself.

Please understand that, while I am LGBT friendly, I strongly believe that what this mother is doing is wrong.... So very wrong.

I would like to have a rational and honest discussion on this. At what age is a person is mentally capable of deciding what gender they are? My answer to this is definitely not 3 years old, which is the age that this mother began dressing her son up as a girl, and began treating him as a girl.

Article is here.

Re: Mother wants transgender daughter to be able to use girls' bathroom in kindergart

I don't think this is wrong at all. Parents don't force this on their children, it is the other way around. When a kid expresses themselves, would it be better to shame them and tell them no? That's not the world I wanna live in. There is not medical intervention here, just letting the kid live in a way that is comfortable for them. Which in this case involves being socially treated as a female. Which involves using the girls restrooms. Which is fine. They are in Kindergarten, just let the kids be who they are. It's a lot better for them.

Re: Mother wants transgender daughter to be able to use girls' bathroom in kindergart

Fighting about her life? Fighting about her well being? No she isn't. She made the decision for her son, when he was only 3 years old, and mentally incapable of making this kind of life changing decision himself.

Please understand that, while I am LGBT friendly, I strongly believe that what this mother is doing is wrong.... So very wrong.

I would like to have a rational and honest discussion on this. At what age is a person is mentally capable of deciding what gender they are? My answer to this is definitely not 3 years old, which is the age that this mother began dressing her son up as a girl, and began treating him as a girl.

Article is here.

Why are you being transphobic. Who are you to tell a mother that because she wants a daughter she should 't force her three year old boy into something against his will.

End the hyperbolic nonsense you will now face.

Article is here.

Holy hell some people shouldn't be parents. I can see nothing good coming from a parent doing this to a child so young.

The chances this kid is actually transgender is not all that good.

I don't think this is wrong at all. Parents don't force this on their children, it is the other way around. When a kid expresses themselves, would it be better to shame them and tell them no? That's not the world I wanna live in. There is not medical intervention here, just letting the kid live in a way that is comfortable for them. Which in this case involves being socially treated as a female. Which involves using the girls restrooms. Which is fine. They are in Kindergarten, just let the kids be who they are. It's a lot better for them.

Letting your 3yo play dress up is one thing, taking the leap that this means they are trangender is completely different. I think I have pictures of my boys at a young age somewhere playing dress up with their older sister. :lol: Trust me they didn't end up being transgender.

Article is here.

Can a 5 year old really grasp the complexities of gender confusion and identity? Maybe, I'm not sure. But it seems odd that this is becoming a "thing" as early as kindergarten before kids really know anything about gender, gender roles, etc.

You are wrong. Kids up to the age of 4 or 5 do not understand gender. In fact studies have shown that most that would seem like girls are not or boys are not and the majority of gem are fine.

Any parent that forces a 1,2,3 or even 4 year old into a gender other than what they were born as should be arrested for child abuse. This kid isn't a girl. He is a healthy boy that has been brainwashed into inking he is a girl.
To me that is child abuse no doctor or parent can tell at the age of three and the kid doesn't even know.

This is disgusting behavior by the doctor and the parents. If the mother wanted a daughter then she should try again or adopt not destroy a boy's life. This is 100% getting out of hand.

Time to build another bathroom? Think of the monetary possibilities. :2razz:

Can a 5 year old really grasp the complexities of gender confusion and identity? Maybe, I'm not sure. But it seems odd that this is becoming a "thing" as early as kindergarten before kids really know anything about gender, gender roles, etc.

So far he studies have said they don't. They honestly don't care.

No it's not, not at that age. This is more a function of the mother's issues than the son's. If a small child has hip dysplasia, a good parent doesn't just "let them be who they are", they correct the condition.

I don't really think a 5 year old knows what their gender identity is.

However, I don't think it really matters at that age anyway. They should all be using a restroom with doors, so it shouldn't matter at all what gender any students using a restroom in elementary school are. They're little kids who (almost if not all) have used the women's restroom most of their lives, with female relatives or caregivers (because women are much more likely to take care of children of either gender while out shopping, in public alone, which means they are more likely to take sons, little boys into the womens restroom). There is really no potential for sex there unless adults make a big deal out of it.

It's not unheard of for little boys or girls for that matter to be treated as if they are the opposite sex by ****ed up parents(more commonly the mother) that wanted a child of the opposite sex. If I had to guess I would say that is far more likely the case here than this child being transgender.

Letting your 3yo play dress up is one thing, taking the leap that this means they are trangender is completely different. I think I have pictures of my boys at a young age somewhere playing dress up with their older sister. :lol: Trust me they didn't end up being transgender.

My boys use run around in my daughters slippers and shoes all the time.
They use to dress up as well. They would laugh then go grab their monster trucks.

They think it is funny. The nut jobs pushing this disgusting agenda would go well your boys are girls.
I would tell them they are lunatics that shouldn't be around kids.

My boys are boys and my daughter is a girl.

You are wrong. Kids up to the age of 4 or 5 do not understand gender. In fact studies have shown that most that would seem like girls are not or boys are not and the majority of gem are fine.

Any parent that forces a 1,2,3 or even 4 year old into a gender other than what they were born as should be arrested for child abuse. This kid isn't a girl. He is a healthy boy that has been brainwashed into inking he is a girl.
To me that is child abuse no doctor or parent can tell at the age of three and the kid doesn't even know.

This is disgusting behavior by the doctor and the parents. If the mother wanted a daughter then she should try again or adopt not destroy a boy's life. This is 100% getting out of hand.

Please explain exactly how any parent forces a kid into a gender. What exactly do they do? How should a boy act and how exactly should a girl act? What toys should a boy be forced to play with? And a girl? What colors should each like? How should each behave?

In my experience, children begin expressing independent attitudes from a very early age and that will include traditionally gendered elements. I know several parents who actively sought to avoid the classic “blue and guns for boys, pink and dolls for girls” stereotypes only for their children to naturally drift in those directions regardless. This isn’t about them making a conscious decision, it’s actually the very opposite, instinctive expressions of their individual characters.

On the extremely limited information provided here, I don’t see how you can make such a definitive (and very serious) accusation of anything against this mother. While I’m sure it’s possible for parents to have an influence on this kind of thing, anyone who has tried to get a five year old to do… well, pretty much anything they don’t want to… will appreciate that only in the most extreme cases could it get to this point without at least some direction from the child themselves.

These will be unique and individual situations and should be treated as such (preferably out of the glare of mass media and all of the negative impacts that will bring). I don’t think making generic and definitive statements about what is right or wrong is flawed whichever extreme you’re standing on.

Please explain exactly how any parent forces a kid into a gender. What exactly do they do? How should a boy act and how exactly should a girl act? What toys should a boy be forced to play with? And a girl? What colors should each like? How should each behave?

By doing precisely what this mother is doing.

Just like I feel about George Zimmerman, I really look forward to the day that public bathrooms are no longer front page news.

This is borderline child abuse to me. I agree -- "just let kids be who they are" ---- a boy who might happen to like playing with dolls. That doesn't mean his entire gender needs to be changed before he has the brain development to choose that for himself.

By doing precisely what this mother is doing.

And what exactly is that? I don't agree with forcing any child into either bathroom at that age. It really doesn't matter at that age, for the reasons I've already stated. But there is little evidence that the child doesn't want this.

Do most Kindergarten kids care which restroom they use, honestly? I doubt it. It is only adults forcing any of them into a specific restroom that separates them to begin with.

Article is here.

Actually, 3-year-olds have a very clear concept of their own gender, and express it both verbally and aesthetically. This is accepted paediatric fact. Most trans people do start displaying gender non-conformity around that age.

However, it is premature to say they are transgender at that age. We only say they are displaying gender non-conformity, or in extreme cases, perhaps displaying gender distress.

The brain factors involved with being trans are very complex, and don't completely cement themselves until after puberty. Puberty is when we see GDD really taking off.

Gender non-conforming children can wind up becoming any kind of adult: cis, genderqueer, or trans. There is no way to know in advance which one they will be, although they are dramatically more likely to be trans than children without strong non-conformity in early childhood.

Childhood development is unpredictable, just like some children born with blonde hair can wind up with nearly black hair as adults, or start out with allergies that spontaneously resolve, etc.

However, regardless of what kind of adult they wind up becoming, it is important we respect their gender at any age. It is fairly likely they will wind up being genderqueer or trans, and trying to force them to conform could lead to serious mental health problems down the line.

Even if they wind up being cisgender, you are telling them that who they are and how they feel is not ok, and that's not healthy for any child.

I am also fairly certain that 5-year-olds don't generally feel motivated to molest and rape people, and are actually generally quite blasé about things like who has what genitals -- not that they can even see them in most bathroom facilities. They tend to strip out of their clothes any time you turn your back for too long on a warm day, after all.

I can pretty much guarantee you these children don't care. I only wish the adult world was so well-adjusted.

Last edited:

Let me know when you can post something that is relevant.
If you failed to read the op at the age of 2 the mother was dressing him in dresses and treating him like a girl.
That is called conditioning. Read the op and learn what we are talking about it will help you in discussions.

Sorry she didn't have the little girl she wanted that is no reason to damage a healthy boy because of it.
She has done horrible Damage to this kid.

You can either address what she has done or you can't if you can't don't bother responding with your nonsense because I am not going to worry about it.

If you think it is ok to mentally damage a brain wash a 2 or 3 year old then it is you hat has the problems not me.

Last edited:

And what exactly is that? I don't agree with forcing any child into either bathroom at that age. It really doesn't matter at that age, for the reasons I've already stated. But there is little evidence that the child doesn't want this.

Do most Kindergarten kids care which restroom they use, honestly? I doubt it. It is only adults forcing any of them into a specific restroom that separates them to begin with.

She has been dressing and addressing him as a girl from a very early age. This is not defensible behavior.

Actually, 3-year-olds have a very clear concept of their own gender, and express it both verbally and aesthetically. This is accepted paediatric fact. Most trans people do start displaying gender non-conformity around that age.

However, it is premature to say they are transgender at that age. We only say they are displaying gender non-conformity.

The brain factors involved with being trans are very complex, and don't completely cement themselves until after puberty. Puberty is when we see GDD really taking off.

Gender non-conforming children can wind up becoming any kind of adult: cis, genderqueer, or trans. There is no way to know in advance which one they will be.

Childhood development is unpredictable, just like some children born with blonde hair can wind up with nearly black hair as adults, or start out with allergies that spontaneously resolve, etc.

However, regardless of what kind of adult they wind up becoming, it is important we respect their gender at any age. They could wind up being genderqueer or trans, and trying to force them to conform could lead to serious mental health problems down the line.

Even if they wind up being cisgender, you are telling them that who they are and how they feel is not ok, and that's not healthy for any child.

I am also fairly certain that 5-year-olds don't generally feel motivated to molest and rape people, and are actually generally quite blasé about about things like who has what genitals -- not that they can even see them in most bathroom facilities. They tend to strip out of their clothes any time you turn your back for too long on a warm day, after all.

I can pretty much guarantee you these children don't care. I only wish the adult world was so well-adjusted.

3 year old have no clue and about 75-90% of them are normal behavior of how they are born.
Puberty is about 12 years longer and that is if they are healthy and haven't been brain washed by parents and doctors. However structural brain scans show their brains are not feminized. So that means there is a chemical or other neuron disorder that has to be addressed.

They are three and four year olds. They have no clue.

Let me know when you can post something that is relevant.
If you failed to read the op at the age of 2 the mother was dressing him in dresses and treating him like a girl.
That is called conditioning. Read the op and learn what we are talking about it will help you in discussions.

Sorry she didn't have the little girl she wanted that is no reason to damage a healthy boy because of it.
She has done horrible Damage to this kid.

You can either address what she has done or you can't if you can't don't bother responding with your nonsense because I am not going to worry about it.

If you think it is ok to mentally damage a brain wash a 2 or 3 year old then it is you hat has the problems not me.

Dressing him like a girl indicates that there is specific clothing that only girls should wear. And what if she let him pick? Two year olds are quite capable of saying "I want" or choosing clothing. You have no idea what actually happened there. You are the one advocating that there absolutely should be gender stereotypes to begin with, in saying that it is wrong to perhaps put boys in dresses, on the verge of child abuse. Why? Is it any worse than naming a boy Sue or Elizabeth from birth?

Back
Top Bottom