• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most Violent - Most Peaceful States in USofA

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
America?s Most Violent (and Peaceful) States - 24/7 Wall St.

Although the risk of deadly shootings appears to have escalated, violence in the United States is trending downward. In 1995, there were 685 violent incidents per 100,000 people nationwide. By 2014, the national violent crime rate had fallen to 366 violent crimes per 100,000 people. The United States is far from the most peaceful place on earth, however, and some states remain far more violent than others.

24/7 Wall St. generated an index to rank the peacefulness of each U.S. state. States with high violent crime and homicide rates, as well as high estimated small arms ownership and high incarceration rates were identified as less peaceful, while states with lower incidences of these factors were more peaceful. According to our index, Maine is the most peaceful state, while Louisiana is the least peaceful.

HOLY CRAP!!! :shock:

Delaware is #4 on most violent list.

Yeah, in the national conscience Delaware for some reason seems to get kicked around a bit, similar to the way New Jersey used to - and still often does. I've never been there, so I can't comment personally, though I suppose you could and better that I.

It seems from the article if you want a safe state: Go to New England or Pacific Northwest, and stay out of the South.

But I believe evaluating violence by states can be ambiguous, since we are exposed to violence at the local (not state) level. I live just outside of one of the most violent cities in the States, but those numbers are skewed due to the violence occurring heavily in just a few of the otherwise reasonably peaceful neighborhoods. Of course if you live, work, or commute through one of the high violence neighborhoods - you're exposed. But if you live & work in good neighborhoods, the numbers are inconsequential to you.

We're peaceful and loving here in New Hampshire. We made #3 behind the peaceful states of Maine and Vermont...but that's only because the people in those states wear Birkenstocks and chant about loving everyone.

That's ****ing crazy about Delaware. I wouldn't have thought it. More violent than New Jersey?

It uses REALLY crappy methodology.

To identify the most violent and most peaceful states, 24/7 Wall St. created an index based on five measures. We were inspired by the 2012 United States Peace Index from the Institute for Economics & Peace, and emulated the Institute’s methodology in order to rank states from most peaceful to most violent. We gave full weight in the index to two of the five measures:

the number of murders and the number of violent crimes (excluding murder) per 100,000 people, both of which came from the FBI’s 2014 Uniform Crime Report.

Law enforcement employment per 100,000 state residents, which includes civilian employees such as dispatchers and administrators, was given a three-quarter weighting and also came from the FBI.

Incarceration rates, which capture state prisons only, were given a three-quarter weighting and came from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Firearm suicides as a percent of total suicides are for 2010 through 2014 to adjust for outliers and are from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This was the fifth component of the index and received a one-quarter weight. In the absence of accurate counts of small arms in U.S. households, this measure is closely correlated to and widely used as an approximation of small arms possession because firearms used in suicides are disproportionately small arms. These data sets are frequently based on disparate and inconsistent population totals, so all rates for the purposes of this index were calculated based on 2013 ACS population counts.

In addition to these indexed measures, we reviewed the gun ownership rate in each state as of 2013 obtained from a study published in 2015 from the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University. The survey asked state residents whether they live in a household with at least one firearm of any kind.

Poverty rates, median household incomes, and the percentages of adults with at least a high school diploma or with at least a college degree in each state came from the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2014 American Community Survey.

Seriously - using law enforcement employment rate as an indicator of violence???
Incarceration rates??
Thinking that suicide rates have a causal relationship to gun ownership??
Poverty rates??? Again, no causal relationship.

This should be a simple thing to do based on nothing more than violent crimes per 100,000 people. Weight the stats by the level of violence for the different crimes and you have a far more realistic methodology. Most of this ranking is just "social justice" horsecrap.

Yeah, in the national conscience Delaware for some reason seems to get kicked around a bit, similar to the way New Jersey used to - and still often does. I've never been there, so I can't comment personally, though I suppose you could and better that I.

It seems from the article if you want a safe state: Go to New England or Pacific Northwest, and stay out of the South.

But I believe evaluating violence by states can be ambiguous, since we are exposed to violence at the local (not state) level. I live just outside of one of the most violent cities in the States, but those numbers are skewed due to the violence occurring heavily in just a few of the otherwise reasonably peaceful neighborhoods. Of course if you live, work, or commute through one of the high violence neighborhoods - you're exposed. But if you live & work in good neighborhoods, the numbers are inconsequential to you.

I believe that is probably the way to look at it, if personal security etc are the concern. Probably even for most questions of a higher level of aggression you would be better off taking that approach.

Highest male-female ratio in the country, combine that with a little cabin fever...

What's going on in Alaska? They have a lot of folks they call the "end of roaders". They go out to the end of the road and hide. My ex-brother-in-law ran to Alaska to hide from the law and from some criminals. My son was in Alaska in the military and went looking for him. He met a few men who knew his uncle but none would tell him how to find him. Then his uncle showed up, they visited, but his uncle refused to say where he was living. That's Alaska.

If you look at the racial demographics of the most peaceful states you see some similarities. They don't necessary hold for the most dangerous states because two don't have a lot of minorities, Nevada and Alaska. Of course, Nevada has Sen. Harry Reid and that could tilt any state to rampant violence.

Looked interesting, but it's one of those damned clickbait-type articles. I'm just not into clicking a dozen times to read the relatively brief state summaries.

Such statistics are basically crap. Some states with low populations tend to have higher rates. Go figure, a state like Wyoming, every 5 incidents is a rate increase of 1 per 100,000. Cities like Chicago could have close to 200 violent crimes and still have a rate less that low population states.

Why don't they break it down by cities and even sections of a city. Harlem and the Bronz can be extremely violent, but with the whole cities population put in, it makes New York sound like a safer city, when actually, sections of it are not. Guess Libbos don't want that because it would reflect badly upon their constituents.

Rampant Eskimo gang warfare apparently.

When will we learn that the second amendment needs to be bypassed to keep the assault harpoons that can mow down whales out of the hands of those eskimo gangs.

Back
Top Bottom