• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Most Unbreakable Sports Record

Which sports record is least likely to be broken?

• Perfect NFL season and post season: Miami Dolphins, 17-0 (1972)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Most points, single game: Wilt Chamberlain, 100 (March 2, 1962)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Most career receiving yards: Jerry Rice, 22,895 (1985-2004)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Highest scoring average, single season: Wilt Chamberlain, 50.4 (1961-62)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Most career wins by a pitcher: Cy Young, 511 (1890-1911)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Joe Di Maggio’s 56-game hit streak.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Chicago Bulls’ record for wins in a season (72)

• Ted Williams: last major league player to have a season batting average of .400 (1941)

• Most career strikeouts: Nolan Ryan, 5,714 (1966, 1968-93)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FluffyNinja

All Warm and Fuzzy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Which professional sports record do you believe is the least likely to ever be broken and why? Feel free to add your own if your choice is not included in the poll.

My vote goes to Nolan Ryan's Strikeout record. No pitcher today has even come close to matching Ryan's durability and probably never will.

Well, looking at it now, I probably shouldn't have included the Cy Young record. That one is over 100 years old and it's not really fair to lump it in with the others.

Last edited:
Which professional sports record do you believe is the least likely to ever be broken and why? Feel free to add your own if your choice is not included in the poll.

My vote goes to Nolan Ryan's Strikeout record. No pitcher today has even come close to matching Ryan's durability and probably never will.

Cy Young's records of over 500 wins and over 500 losses. He pitched every other day. You will never see that again.

Cy Young's records of over 500 wins and over 500 losses. He pitched every other day. You will never see that again.
Yeah, you're right. I think I should change my vote. I edited my OP above to indicate that it may have been a bit lopsided to include Cy's record.

Yeah, you're right. I think I should change my vote. I edited my OP above to indicate that it may have been a bit lopsided to include Cy's record.

I could see Cal Ripken's or Brett Favre's consecutive games started streaks in there too.

Nolan Ryan's strikeouts is huge, but I think Cy Young's 511 wins is even more unbreakable. There could be some young stud pitcher who lasts 20+ years and beats Ryan, but nobody will ever win more than 511 games simply because no team will ever go back to the old 3 or 4 man rotations.

Edit: Damn you IT.

Last edited:
Wilt's 50 points a game.

Thanks IT. Was just going to say I think you gotta shove both the "iron man" records in there.

I would include Wilts 50ppg season. Even Wilts rebounding records seem pretty safe.

Wayne Gretzky's career scoring record in either goals, assists or points in either regular season or career as he holds all of them.

Ty Cobb's career batting average of .366 (do keep in mind that's through 24 seasons) will be very tough. Some impossible baseball records would be dead ball pitching, such as complete games: Cy Young 749 CG's.

Football records seem to always get beat. A perfect season is possible.

Owen Wilson's 36 triples in 1912. The closest anyone has come in the last 60 years is 23. Prior to that it was 26. Never be beaten.

Though I think that Cy Young's record is pretty safe, If you found a knuckleballer, you could pitch him every third day. Wilbur Wood did that in 1973 and went 24-20. It is possible, though, with how baseball is played today, very unlikely.

Same with Ty Cobb, Back in those days, the talent differentiation was far greater than it is, today. You had players that were absolutely awful, that no owner, today would play. But the talent pool was far smaller, so they played.

Most NBA championships, player: Bill Russell, 11 (1957, 1959-66, 1968-69)

Jahangir Khan's 5 year streak in Squash where he didn't lose a match

Probably the fittest athlete in history

Jahangir Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1982, Jahangir astonished everyone by winning the International Squash Players Association Championship without losing a single point

Edwin Moses and his 11 year 400M Hurtles record of not losing one race.

That is one of the best but there are far more squash pros than 400 IM hurdlers. He and Darrell Pace (whose domination in archery is another one of the great sports records) were the only two people to win their event in 76 and then 84. Khan won over 500 matches in a row-I don't think Edwin came close to even running 500 races in a 5 year period

Zhuang Zedong=wins three world table tennis titles in a row-would have won 5 but for the cultural revolution) (Hasegawa and Itoh were always crushed by him in other matches). More people play this sport seriously than any other individual sport.

Last edited:
I don't think you can compare the dead ball era of baseball with the modern era that is why I did not vote for CY Young......I think the hardest record to break will be Joe D's 56 game hitting streak...........No one has ever come close.....Pete Rose hit in 44 games......

Next would be Nolan Ryan's strike out record although I think if a guy started young enough he could beat that one............

Last edited:
Wayne Gretzky ~ 2,856 points (1,485 games, 894 goals, 1,962 assists)

*2nd leading all time scorer in NHL history Mark Messier has less total points than Gretz has assist points.

1855 points for Mess vs 1962 assists for Gretz.

Marita Koch's 400m record. Naturally women just can't run that fast, the actual race is almost embarassing it looks like she's racing kids.

Sometimes the drugs do work

YouTube - Marita Koch 400m WR

Here's a few other unbreakable sports records:
  • 8 straight championships by Bill Russell's Celtics
  • Highest field goal percentage for a season - 78% Wilt Chamberlain
  • Highest average minutes per game for a season - 48.5 Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most 60+ points per game - 243 Wilt Chamberlain
  • Lowest ERA for over 300 innings pitched - 1.02 Bob Gibson
  • Fastest fastball ever pitched - 109.6 miles per hour Nolan Ryan
  • Most consecutive seasons batting over .300 - 22 Ty Cobb
  • Undefeated Heavyweight Champion - Rocky Marciano 49-0-0
And probably the most untouchable record in history:

33 game win streak by the Los Angeles Lakers in 1972
which is the longest streak in all of sports.

Last edited:
I don't think you can compare the dead ball era of baseball with the modern era that is why I did not vote for CY Young......I think the hardest record to break will be Joe D's 56 game hitting streak...........No one has ever come close.....Pete Rose hit in 44 games......

Next would be Nolan Ryan's strike out record although I think if a guy started young enough he could beat that one............
Nolan was my favorite pitcher.

But when I was growing up, there was only one name that spelled pitcher in my neighborhood, and that was K-o-u-f-a-x!

Well, looking at it now, I probably shouldn't have included the Cy Young record. That one is over 100 years old and it's not really fair to lump it in with the others.
Fluffy, damn good thread!

Here's a few other unbreakable sports records:
  • 8 straight championships by Bill Russell's Celtics
  • Highest field goal percentage for a season - 78% Wilt Chamberlain
  • Highest average minutes per game for a season - 48.5 Wilt Chamberlain
  • Most 60+ points per game - 243 Wilt Chamberlain
  • Lowest ERA for over 300 innings pitched - 1.02 Bob Gibson
  • Fastest fastball ever pitched - 109.6 miles per hour Nolan Ryan
  • Most consecutive seasons batting over .300 - 22 Ty Cobb
  • Undefeated Heavyweight Champion - Rocky Marciano 49-0-0
And probably the most untouchable record in history:

which is the longest streak in all of sports.

That fast pitch record will be broken

the others look solid

the 33 games is a team sport-hard to compare it to say Khan winning 550 matches in a row which is amazing in a sport where one minor muscle pull or virus can cause you to lose to someone way below you.

Borg's 5 wimbledons and 5 French Opens is looking pretty good as well

Nolan was my favorite pitcher.

But when I was growing up, there was only one name that spelled pitcher in my neighborhood, and that was K-o-u-f-a-x!

"In 1973, Ryan set his first major record when he struck out 383 batters in one season, beating Sandy Koufax's old mark by one. To this feat, Koufax remarked, 'Yeah, and he also surpassed my total for bases on balls in a single season by 91. I suspect half of those guys he struck out swung rather than get hit.'"

That fast pitch record will be broken

the others look solid

the 33 games is a team sport-hard to compare it to say Khan winning 550 matches in a row which is amazing in a sport where one minor muscle pull or virus can cause you to lose to someone way below you.

Borg's 5 wimbledons and 5 French Opens is looking pretty good as well

What do you mean? Roger Federer hs just won five in a row and Sampras won a total of 7...

Buffalo Bills 4 Super Bowl appearances (and losses) in 4 seasons, '91-'94.

But seriously, baseball just isn't played the same today. Cy Young holds a lot of records that will never be broken.

Rickey Henderson, 1,406 career stolen bases is worth mentioning.

Back
Top Bottom