• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most Pivotal moment of the American Revolution.

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Well since today is the Birthday of our great country. I thought it would be a fun question to ask. What do you think is the most pivotal moment of the American Revolution.

My money is on The Battle of Saratoga were General Gates of the Continental Army forces the surrender of British General John Burgoyne and his Army. Not only was it a huge Victory for the Continental Army ,but also convinced the French that we would win the war and started to send supplies to America. Without French help it is most likely that American would have never won the War of Independence against the British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Saratoga

Saratgoa, probably.

When the French intervened bankrupting themselves thus causing The French Revolution.

When the French intervened bankrupting themselves thus causing The French Revolution.

The war was winding down by the time the French showed up.

I knew someone was going to come in over-rating the French...again.

I don't think there was a, "pivotal", battle. The Americans didn't go from losing, to winning, hence pivoting from one to the other. They started out losing a lot, then just losing, then losing a little, then sorta winning and finally winning; the Cowpens probably being the crest of that assent.

The war was winding down by the time the French showed up.

I knew someone was going to come in over-rating the French...again.

I don't think there was a, "pivotal", battle. The Americans didn't go from losing, to winning, hence pivoting from one to the other. They started out losing a lot, then just losing, then losing a little, then sorta winning and finally winning; the Cowpens probably being the crest of that assent.

You would have lost if the French didn't come in and support you.

Well since today is the Birthday of our great country. I thought it would be a fun question to ask. What do you think is the most pivotal moment of the American Revolution.

My money is on The Battle of Saratoga were General Gates of the Continental Army forces the surrender of British General John Burgoyne and his Army. Not only was it a huge Victory for the Continental Army ,but also convinced the French that we would win the war and started to send supplies to America. Without French help it is most likely that American would have never won the War of Independence against the British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Saratoga

The Battle of Trenton. It was a small victory but it turned waning enthusiasm for the war around and began not only a string of victories but also garnered support from other militias which had been sitting on the sidelines.

You would have lost if the French didn't come in and support you.

Right! Whatever!

Which battle did the French defeat the Brits in, during the Rev-War? Let me help you out...none. The French showed up 6 months before the war ended. The Colonial Army was mopping up pockets of resistance at that point.

Right! Whatever!

Which battle did the French defeat the Brits in, during the Rev-War? Let me help you out...none. The French showed up 6 months before the war ended. The Colonial Army was mopping up pockets of resistance at that point.

They really were not, you would have lost without French money and support. All the British had to do was send in more troops, as they were outnumbered almost 10:1 to begin with. The Revolutionary Army was possibly one of the worst fighting forces in history. The Continental Army was bankrupt, running out of supplies, had low morale. I would like to know how the hell Washington lead The Thirteen Colonies as he is a truly horrible general.

Right! Whatever!

I hate to do this to you apdst but. The French won the major naval battle of the Chesapeake. Which force the British Navy to flee and allowed the French navy to blockade the water access at Yorktown. Which completed the complete the encirclement of Cornwallis.

I hate to do this to you apdst but. The French won the major naval battle of the Chesapeake. Which force the British Navy to flee and allowed the French navy to blockade the water access at Yorktown. Which completed the complete the encirclement of Cornwallis.

Corporal, you know and I know, that wars are won by the infantry, on the battlefield, not by the supporting arms/branches.

They really were not, you would have lost without French money and support. All the British had to do was send in more troops, as they were outnumbered almost 10:1 to begin with. The Revolutionary Army was possibly one of the worst fighting forces in history. The Continental Army was bankrupt, running out of supplies, had low morale. I would like to know how the hell Washington lead The Thirteen Colonies as he is a truly horrible general.

It's sounds more like your opinion is driven more by your hatred of America than historical fact.

George Washington led the, "worst army in history", to victory against the best army in the world, at the time. That fact, alone, makes him a damn fine field commander.

Corporal, you know and I know, that wars are won by the infantry, on the battlefield, not by the supporting arms/branches.

Also the encirclement couldn't not been completed without the French Army. If the French navy had lost Cornwallis would have retired to Ocean and just redeploy elsewhere in America. Not to mention that French supplied with Ammo and Weapons. More then what Congress did for the Army.

Also the encirclement couldn't not been completed without the French Army. If the French navy had lost Cornwallis would have retired to Ocean and just redeploy elsewhere in America. Not to mention that French supplied with Ammo and Weapons. More then what Congress did for the Army.

Cornwallis didn't have the combat power to redeploy--basically re-invade the Colonies. Had he possessed that much combat power, he wouldn't have had to retreat to the sea, to begin with.

Cornwallis didn't have the combat power to redeploy--basically re-invade the Colonies. Had he possessed that much combat power, he wouldn't have had to retreat to the sea, to begin with.

He wouldn't have to since the British still had massive territories in America. Also he there waiting for a resupply via sea. If Washington had attacked without Naval suppport the British would have just retreated and thus Yorktown would have been a bust and therefore the war continues on.

I'd say where there was no battle. The construction of Fort Clinton and the chaining of the S-curve in the Hudson that kept the brits from cutting the colonies in half.

It's sounds more like your opinion is driven more by your hatred of America than historical fact.

George Washington led the, "worst army in history", to victory against the best army in the world, at the time. That fact, alone, makes him a damn fine field commander.

No he lead it against a very tiny portion of the strongest army in the world.

He wouldn't have to since the British still had massive territories in America. Also he there waiting for a resupply via sea. If Washington had attacked without Naval suppport the British would have just retreated and thus Yorktown would have been a bust and therefore the war continues on.

Continued, or not, the British were defeated by the time Yorktown took place.

Continued, or not, the British were defeated by the time Yorktown took place.

In the since the British Parliament had lost the will to continue the fight and England was going bankrupt (which was Washington plan from the start). Yes if it wasn't for Yorktown King George would have continued the war.

And kicked the crap out of them. Not much else to debate.

I forgot to mention you also didn't capture New York at any point. Which became the gateway for loyalists and slaves traveling to Canada thus escaping the tyranny and discrimination of the Americans.

I forgot to mention you also didn't capture New York at any point. Which became the gateway for loyalists and slaves traveling to Canada.

So?.................

The Battle of Trenton. It was a small victory but it turned waning enthusiasm for the war around and began not only a string of victories but also garnered support from other militias which had been sitting on the sidelines.

I was going to post this myself. It was a critical victory for morale, without it I believe faith in any military victory would have evaporated along with militia support.

In the since the British Parliament had lost the will to continue the fight and England was going bankrupt (which was Washington plan from the start). Yes if it wasn't for Yorktown King George would have continued the war.

King George wouldn't have decided to stop fighting when he did, were it not for Yorktown--as it turned out. However, the British war effort was defeated by that time.

There was no way that the British could support forces in The Colonies indefinitely and the Colonists would have never stopped fighting. In fact, a guerilla war was England's worst fear. It would have taken a partial genocide to pacify rebel forces in The Colonies.

King George wouldn't have decided to stop fighting when he did, were it not for Yorktown--as it turned out. However, the British war effort was defeated by that time.

There was no way that the British could support forces in The Colonies indefinitely and the Colonists would have never stopped fighting. In fact, a guerilla war was England's worst fear. It would have taken a partial genocide to pacify rebel forces in The Colonies.

True Enough but in the end saying we would have won without the French is like saying the British would have won WW2 without America.

True Enough but in the end saying we would have won without the French is like saying the British would have won WW2 without America.

We would have won without the French. The Dutch would have filled the arms orders.

There was no weapon that represented the majority of weapons used by the Colonists, so the absence of French arms wouldn't have been that big a deal, IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom