• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Most people are not understanding the issue with the Supreme Court. This article explains it.

I've already read your wild consperiousy theories on this subject. All we are missing are space aliens

Ya, far as I read, your posting is crazy and not reading you more.

With respect:

FYI @Craig234: I watched that 20-minute video. It's a decent speech, but it didn't make me want to write a reply about it.

Are you honestly this incapable? Profits that are derived from harmful actions are "harmful profits."

Local store sells bicycles for profit, not harmful profits. Polluter destroys environment terribly to make profit, harmful profits. "Hey, we just shot the last of this type of leopard, making it extinct, that'll make this trophy worth a fortune in profit!" - harmful profits.

People have not wanted to watch Sen. Whitehouse's 15 minute speech, but perhaps they'll read an article. It's not about the social issues or abortion and so on mostly. It's about power and gutting the American people's ability to limit harmful profits for powerful companies. This article explains a lot about it. It's a long-term coup against the constitution and it's not going away soon.

With respect:

The constitution is a part of the problem.

FYI @Craig234: I watched that 20-minute video. It's a decent speech, but it didn't make me want to write a reply about it.

Thanks for watching a video, but which one? This thread is about two articles, not videos. I'd posted a 15 minute speech from Sen. Whitehouse in another thread.

Thanks for watching a video, but which one? This thread is about two articles, not videos. I'd posted a 15 minute speech from Sen. Whitehouse in another thread.

With respect:

The one in that thread from a couple of days ago.

The one in that thread from a couple of days ago.

OK, so no reaction to dark money and corrupt organizations corrupting the Supreme Court? If you want more info, Whitehouse has 14 speeches online you can find titled "The Scheme".

People have not wanted to watch Sen. Whitehouse's 15 minute speech, but perhaps they'll read an article. It's not about the social issues or abortion and so on mostly. It's about power and gutting the American people's ability to limit harmful profits for powerful companies. This article explains a lot about it. It's a long-term coup against the constitution and it's not going away soon.

If people read that, there's an additional article about Naomi Klein discussing the current court as the sort of power grab she discussed in her book, "The Shock Doctrine".

The bolded part is really the truth of it all and it did not start in the past few years but many years ago. It started with Steve Bannon

Steve Bannon’s plan to bring down US democracy has started. Be very afraid

Steve Bannon, a self-described Leninist who wants to “destroy the state” and “bring everything crashing down and destroy all of today’s establishment,” has risen to become one of the most powerful men in Washington.

Local store sells bicycles for profit, not harmful profits. Polluter destroys environment terribly to make profit, harmful profits. "Hey, we just shot the last of this type of leopard, making it extinct, that'll make this trophy worth a fortune in profit!" - harmful profits.

I could say the same with the green energy sector. Wind turbine blades being dumped in landfills because they can't be recycled. Strip mining for precious metals needed for electric vehicles batteries and solar panels. Oil being burned to obtain and process these raw materials. Not to mention recharging those electric vehicles.

The bolded part is really the truth of it all and it did not start in the past few years but many years ago. It started with Steve Bannon
It started around 1973 and Lewis Powell, but thanks.

Kinda entering unhinged land there... holy hells

Yes. We need to stop getting unhinged and go nuke some hurricanes and stick UV light up our behinds.

OK, so no reaction to dark money and corrupt organizations corrupting the Supreme Court? If you want more info, Whitehouse has 14 speeches online you can find titled "The Scheme".

With respect:

Yeah, his speeches are now in my YouTube feed. Yeah, it's obvious that Republicans favor dark money.

I could say the same with the green energy sector. Wind turbine blades being dumped in landfills because they can't be recycled. Strip mining for precious metals needed for electric vehicles batteries and solar panels. Oil being burned to obtain and process these raw materials. Not to mention recharging those electric vehicles.
In which case wise people and societies would be asking themselves - and directing their laws and regulatory efforts towards - the question "How can we create a sustainable system first with optimal general welfare and prosperity second?" Even if that means, for example, reducing energy consumption overall rather than screwing over the next generation. Instead the current model is pretty heavily tilted towards "How can we maximize profits for the corporations and billionaires?" with general welfare a distant second and sustainability pretty much entirely ignored. Hence the right-wing anti-regulatory, 'cutting red tape' agenda.

With respect:

The most important part is at the start of Naomi Klein's article that link #2 linked:

Quote:

The moment for President Joe Biden and Congress to challenge the underlying legitimacy of the U.S. Supreme Court and advance an aggressive climate action agenda. There will be no better moment to take this stand for a transformed court, nor a more fateful one. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is right: “We need to reform or do away with the whole thing, for the sake of the planet.”
----

Are the Democrats going to do that? Nope. Democrats are Republican Lite.

With respect:

The most important part is at the start of Naomi Klein's article that link #2 linked:

Quote:

The moment for President Joe Biden and Congress to challenge the underlying legitimacy of the U.S. Supreme Court and advance an aggressive climate action agenda. There will be no better moment to take this stand for a transformed court, nor a more fateful one. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is right: “We need to reform or do away with the whole thing, for the sake of the planet.”
----

Are the Democrats going to do that? Nope. Democrats are Republican Lite.

When you think AOC is right about usurping our system to "save the planet" you admit you don't care about the people, the country, you care about your political ideaology having power, the sad thing is if people like her got their way.... you wouldn't like it... You just can't see it.

When you think AOC is right about usurping our system to "save the planet" you admit you don't care about the people, the country, you care about your political ideaology having power, the sad thing is if people like her got their way.... you wouldn't like it... You just can't see it.
Explain if you can (in simple words so that I can understand) how AOC's statement about "save the planet" means they only care about having power and don't care about the country.

I am truly perplexed. My simple mind cannot understand that answer.

Conspiracy Theories are in a different forum.

I admire Common Dreams but they are left of Vox and that is saying something. In this case their anti-corporatism is running wild. They conveniently overlook that Democrats now represent big money blocs and Republicans are the party of the wage earner.
Well, "big money blocs" have funded the effort outlined in the article for decades. The "big money blocs" in fact are not shy about their goals, which is to operate without meaningful regulations from Congress or the states, to maximize their own profits. The 'common man' has no role in those plans.

Because, in the end, the left will eat its own too.

Explain if you can (in simple words so that I can understand) how AOC's statement about "save the planet" means they only care about having power and don't care about the country.

I am truly perplexed. My simple mind cannot understand that answer.
Because CO2 isn't driving climate change.

Well, "big money blocs" have funded the effort outlined in the article for decades. The "big money blocs" in fact are not shy about their goals, which is to operate without meaningful regulations from Congress or the states, to maximize their own profits. The 'common man' has no role in those plans.
This is a common misconception.

The common man has a great deal to do with the plans because ultimately he pays for them. Accordingly, they will get continuing attention. This is not to say that the cash cow is not milked but not by everyone nor all the time.

It is a factor. Science will tell you that it is not a sufficient factor by itself but who listens to science?

This is a common misconception.

The common man has a great deal to do with the plans because ultimately he pays for them. Accordingly, they will get continuing attention. This is not to say that the cash cow is not milked but not by everyone nor all the time.
If you believe your interests as a common man are aligned with the $billionaire class, I'd call that a "misconception." They do not care about you, or workers, or anything other than their profits.

And, yes, the "common man" does "pay for" things like filthy air, because they breath the air.

I have no earthly idea what that last sentence means, what the cash cow is, who milks it, etc. The fact is the effort to install conservative judges is funded by people who think hardship is flying first class, versus private jet.
It is a factor. Science will tell you that it is not a sufficient factor by itself but who listens to science?
And surely it is SCOTUS who should be making that determination, since they're 'scientists' or something....

The problem is the colluding on prices between the last few big corporations. The lack of true competition in the market place, which makes our economic system good for both the companies and the people who buy their products, is missing. So you get price gauging and the over the top profits we now see in our country. People think that monopolies are just one huge company, but it can be multiple companies who collude, something that is hard enough to prove, without politico's getting in the way to insure their campaign funds.

You make a good point. I guess we're stuck with no competition in the gas and oil business because sure as hell the environmentalists won't allow any new companies to enter the market. They are at war with "dirty" energy like gasoline and natural gas. So we all pay higher prices.

If you believe your interests as a common man are aligned with the $billionaire class, I'd call that a "misconception."
That's one of the more egregious misquotes I have seen in some time.

They do not care about you, or workers, or anything other than their profits.
Assume it is just profits. Smart business people want to generate return business.

And, yes, the "common man" does "pay for" things like filthy air, because they breath the air.
The Billionaire pays for the EPA.

I have no earthly idea what that last sentence means, what the cash cow is, who milks it, etc.
This is the business model again. It's in their interest to not take too much or too fast.

The fact is the effort to install conservative judges is funded by people who think hardship is flying first class, versus private jet.
That is not a fact. that is an opinion.

And surely it is SCOTUS who should be making that determination, since they're 'scientists' or something....
The Obama administration made that decision, not SCOTUS. The Court merely pointed out where the courts should have stopped the Obama administration at the time.

Yes it is but that wasn't my question. My question is why would would accuse AOC of grabbing for power and not caring about others. Explain that.

Back
Top Bottom