• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Most influential religious person ever?

I don't want to get too far off topic from the OP, but again I disagree entirely. Assuming you have pinned your argument entirely on Calvin, this should be easy. Like many other "protestant" movements, Calvin took advantage of the rift between Luther and the Catholic establishment. In taking advantage of this newly formed rift, Calvin espoused a number of eccentric and heretical values...among them elector-ism. Unconditional election - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia He was so popular that even the Swiss/French didn't like him??

Proclaiming that Calvin was responsible for bringing down the Catholic Church "world-wide" is unsubstantiated. In fact, Luther is solely responsible for questioning the Catholic Church directly at that time. Calvin and others were opportunists. With respect to the 1st Amendment, haha. These concepts were championed by the likes of Locke and other philosophes, NOT Calvin.

Okay - well - we see his role in history differently.

I would consider Jesus a diety, and will have to google Siddhartha :lol: Muhammed's a good one!

Siddhartha is Buddha....got it. :mrgreen:

I'm reading a book right now that you may enjoy, titled "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong. It's mostly concerning the Abrahamic religions, and the culture from which they evolved, but it's interesting. When I'm through with it, I'll send it to you, if you're interested in reading it.

There are some scholars who believe that the Israelites were exposed to Zoroastrianism during their period in bondage to the Babylonians in the Sixth Century BC. However I understand that most scholars believe Zoroaster lived and developed Zoroastrianism sometime during the 18th Century BC; which makes it entirely possible that the semites under Abraham were exposed to these teachings and adopted some of them then.

It seems really sketchy as to when he was alive. I've read a couple of biographies that put Zoroaster around 600 BC. If that's the case, then I think Judaism maybe influenced him instead, as one God, free will, good and evil, etc...were already established well before then. Abraham was placed in the early 2nd millenium, and he believed in these basic tenets. Abraham (Hebrew patriarch) -- Encyclopedia Britannica Zoroaster (Iranian prophet) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

I'm reading a book right now that you may enjoy, titled "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong. It's mostly concerning the Abrahamic religions, and the culture from which they evolved, but it's interesting. When I'm through with it, I'll send it to you, if you're interested in reading it.

I'm very interested. Thanks.

I think understanding the cultures, especially that far back in history, is very important in clearly understanding what we're reading. For instance, there are a lot of food references in the Bible that we, or at least I, easily look past without a second thought, but back then, food was often scarce depending on the weather or environment and something to obsess over for many. Also, the brutality back then is something I think we also easily look over.

It seems really sketchy as to when he was alive. I've read a couple of biographies that put Zoroaster around 600 BC. If that's the case, then I think Judaism maybe influenced him instead, as one God, free will, good and evil, etc...were already established well before then. Abraham was placed in the early 2nd millenium, and he believed in these basic tenets. Abraham (Hebrew patriarch) -- Encyclopedia Britannica Zoroaster (Iranian prophet) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

From my understanding those were originally based upon the "traditional date;" which was developed by some zoroastrian priests trying to count back successive generations during the period of the Seleucid Empire. However the language used in the oldest surviving texts dates much further back, and there is other evidence supporting a much earlier start date than the "traditional date." Thus some dispute, but I support the older version. ;)

There are some scholars who believe that the Israelites were exposed to Zoroastrianism during their period in bondage to the Babylonians in the Sixth Century BC. However I understand that most scholars believe Zoroaster lived and developed Zoroastrianism sometime during the 18th Century BC; which makes it entirely possible that the semites under Abraham were exposed to these teachings and adopted some of them then.

Actually it would be Judaism which is older. The Torah dates from 1500 BC- Abraham was 1800 BC. Zoroastrianism is from between 800 and 600 BC, and the oldest references to it are only from around 250 BC.

Actually it would be Judaism which is older. The Torah dates from 1500 BC- Abraham was 1800 BC. Zoroastrianism is from between 800 and 600 BC, and the oldest references to it are only from around 250 BC.

Actually many scholars have come to believe Zoroaster was around 1800 BC too. See my reply to JC post #30 on page 3. ;)

Actually many scholars have come to believe Zoroaster was around 1800 BC too. See my reply to JC post #30 on page 3. ;)

Yeah I saw.....but then if you go by the accounts and research on Nimrod. It shows that Nimrod was a King Allegedly who defied God. Who had warred in the region and had come across Abraham. Which was long before the Persians ever struck out that way. Some believe he is the first King of Babylon and Built the Tower of Babel. Thinking also that he is Ninus. Those historians showed that thru the Clementine Recognitions that he was a Mesopotamian King with a host of Dieties thoughout the Mediterranian World and with the Persian Zoraster. His name is Unattested with the Sumerian and Assyrian list of Kings.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ so far.

Around 2.26 billion people identify as Christians, followed by 1.57 who identify as Muslims.

So, for the time being, Jesus had the greatest impact.

Jesus Christ so far.

Around 2.26 billion people identify as Christians, followed by 1.57 who identify as Muslims.

So, for the time being, Jesus had the greatest impact.

You don't consider Jesus a deity?

Back
Top Bottom