• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Most influential religious person ever?

Probably Siddhartha and Jesus (if you don't consider either a deity). Ghandi would be pretty high on the list as well, and Muhammed. Althoug he's not considered religious by some, I'd also add Confucious.

Probably Siddhartha and Jesus (if you don't consider either a deity). Ghandi would be pretty high on the list as well, and Muhammed. Althoug he's not considered religious by some, I'd also add Confucious.

I would consider Jesus a diety, and will have to google Siddhartha :lol: Muhammed's a good one!

Siddhartha is Buddha....got it. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Moses
Confuscious
Dalai Lama
Mother Theresa
John Calvin

Siddhartha isn't a fictional character in a Herman Hesse novel?

For Christianity (discounting figures from the bible) I am going to say Constantine for setting up the Council of Nicea.

I would consider Jesus a diety, and will have to google Siddhartha :lol: Muhammed's a good one!

Siddhartha is Buddha....got it. :mrgreen:

Well, ya see, I consider myself a child of God too. ;) The great ones were just higher up the ladder than the rest of us, lol. Imo, the great religious figures of history are our role models.

Siddhartha isn't a fictional character in a Herman Hesse novel?

Siddhartha Gautama, known as the Buddha, was born in the sixth century B.C. in what is now modern Nepal. His father, Suddhodana, was the ruler of the Sakya people and Siddhartha grew up living the extravagant life of a young prince. According to custom, he married at the young age of sixteen to a girl named Yasodhara. His father had ordered that he live a life of total seclusion, but one day Siddhartha ventured out into the world and was confronted with the reality of the inevitable suffering of life. The next day, at the age of twenty-nine, he left his kingdom and newborn son to lead an ascetic life and determine a way to relieve universal suffering.
The Buddhist World: Gautama Buddha

Moses
Confuscious
Dalai Lama
Mother Theresa
John Calvin

Heart you Auntie, disagree entirely (possibly with the exception with Confucius). Dalai Lama = modern day issues, Mother Theresa = very localized influence, though revered world-wide, John Calvin?= Calvinism (really?)

Heart you Auntie, disagree entirely (possibly with the exception with Confucius). Dalai Lama = modern day issues, Mother Theresa = very localized influence, though revered world-wide, John Calvin?= Calvinism (really?)

Tune into history a bit more and you'll realize they were more influential than you think.

Calvin didn't just 'lead to Calvinism' - He was one of the most influential leaders behind the Protestant Reformation. Without that, the US wouldn't be here and the entire world would be a very different place, actually. He was instrumental in bringing the Holy Catholic Church down a few notches worldwide and without him, the path wouldn't have been paved for us to enjoy our 1st amendment as we do today. (Just one example).

Oh, I suppose Muhammed is also influential. Assuming influential means something to the effect of "affects a certain amount of people". Indonesia alone is proof of this influence.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Zoroaster. Very interesting religion, and there's still a handful of Zoroastrians around even today.

Why Zoroaster?

Because it was Zoroaster who founded the religious ideology sometime in the second millenium BC that formed the basis of Judaism as well as Platonic thought in the west. Thus all three major western religions (and a couple of minor ones), plus a good part of Greek philosophy can be derived from the tenets of Zoroastrianism. ;)

Last edited:
Rama In the East.....some think he was the First Manifestation of an Avatar as God Personified on the Earth. With others saying he was the Atman when the Continents were all once one.

Because it was Zoroaster who founded the religious ideology sometime in the second millenium BC that formed the basis of Judaism as well as Platonic thought in the west. Thus all three major western religions (and a couple of minor ones), plus a good part of Greek philosophy can be derived from the tenets of Zoroastrianism. ;)

Did he come before and inspire Abraham?

Did he come before and inspire Abraham?

There are some scholars who believe that the Israelites were exposed to Zoroastrianism during their period in bondage to the Babylonians in the Sixth Century BC. However I understand that most scholars believe Zoroaster lived and developed Zoroastrianism sometime during the 18th Century BC; which makes it entirely possible that the semites under Abraham were exposed to these teachings and adopted some of them then.

Last edited:
Tune into history a bit more and you'll realize they were more influential than you think.

Calvin didn't just 'lead to Calvinism' - He was one of the most influential leaders behind the Protestant Reformation. Without that, the US wouldn't be here and the entire world would be a very different place, actually. He was instrumental in bringing the Holy Catholic Church down a few notches worldwide and without him, the path wouldn't have been paved for us to enjoy our 1st amendment as we do today. (Just one example).

I don't want to get too far off topic from the OP, but again I disagree entirely. Assuming you have pinned your argument entirely on Calvin, this should be easy. Like many other "protestant" movements, Calvin took advantage of the rift between Luther and the Catholic establishment. In taking advantage of this newly formed rift, Calvin espoused a number of eccentric and heretical values...among them elector-ism. Unconditional election - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia He was so popular that even the Swiss/French didn't like him??

Proclaiming that Calvin was responsible for bringing down the Catholic Church "world-wide" is unsubstantiated. In fact, Luther is solely responsible for questioning the Catholic Church directly at that time. Calvin and others were opportunists. With respect to the 1st Amendment, haha. These concepts were championed by the likes of Locke and other philosophes, NOT Calvin.

Back
Top Bottom